NGD!!!! Been looking for this guitar for a long time

guitarbilly74

• Members

So this is a semi-Duncan thread because I just picked it up last night and didn't have time to take proper pics. But here's a generic web picture of it:

sg542-front.jpg

This is a '91 Gibson SG- X from the All-American series. I've been wanting this guitar for a LONG time. It's not a vintage classic, of course, but it's the ideal Gibson for me, since I rarely use the neck pickup, love the 24 fret neck and the SG shape. I finally found one that was not really over priced and bought it.

I did a quick set up and it plays and sounds great. The 500T pickup is really awesome, I was thinking of getting an EMG 81TW for it, but maybe I won't need to.

I am planning a few cosmetic mods, because it looks too plain. I am going to add a SG Jr. style pickguard and maybe a chrome humbucker ring. Not sure yet, but it's no big deal. :)

• Members

So this is a semi-Duncan thread because I just picked it up last night and didn't have time to take proper pics. But here's a generic web picture of it:

sg542-front.jpg

This is a '91 Gibson SG- X from the All-American series. I've been wanting this guitar for a LONG time. It's not a vintage classic, of course, but it's the ideal Gibson for me, since I rarely use the neck pickup, love the 24 fret neck and the SG shape. I finally found one that was not really over priced and bought it.

I did a quick set up and it plays and sounds great. The 500T pickup is really awesome, I was thinking of getting an EMG 81TW for it, but maybe I won't need to.

I am planning a few cosmetic mods, because it looks too plain. I am going to add a SG Jr. style pickguard and maybe a chrome humbucker ring. Not sure yet, but it's no big deal.
:)

How'd you know I've had a semi all morning?!

• Members

Cool guitar.. I'VE never seen those.. Did they make similar version for say a V or Explorer..?

And I think it looks great as is.. Those pickguards look horrible! Lol

no, it was the SG only. They do have the Melody Maker series V and Explorer now but they're horrible!!

• Members

ooooo... I think THIS is what I am going to do... no pickguard/Iommi chrome pickup
:love:

270280242927-1.jpg

Yeah, those melody makers suck..

No pickguard with chrome pickup looks great too..

If you do get the Iommi, I'd like to hear some thoughts on it.. One of few pickups I've never tried but definitely wanted to check out.. Seems like it should be unique sounding from its description.. It has a ceramic and alnico 2 magnet, and potted in epoxy like EMG and bill Lawrence pickups..

• Members

Yeah, Id do no pickguard, but mirror if you ARE going to do one. Id even probably change the hardward to black and put an EMG in it, so it looks like my soul :lol:

What kind of tone and noise difference do you get from wax potted v. epoxy pups?

Archived