Do you guys run backup amps on stage?

MegaMustaine

• Members

I just sold my Peavey XXX head for $550, and am thinking about using the money to fund a backup amp for my Fender Twin Reverb 65 RI.

If I acquire a backup amp, do you guys set up and soundcheck a backup amp in case there are any issues during a show? Or do you just have it in the back of your car?

• Members

The more that I gig (and have various issues) the more that I realize how critical backups are. The only problem i've had is that when I have an issue, sometimes it's hard to identify what it is. Last gig, I had sound issues and it took me a while to determine that it was my powersupply on my pedalboard. (wasn't plugged all the way into a pedal)

• Members

I think this matters on what kind of music and or what kind of shows you're playing. If it's original music, with a set time of a half hour or so, I wouldn't bother bringing a backup. Chances are you won't have a problem, and if you do, you can probably just borrow someone elses amp.

If you're a cover band or something that will require hours of playing, then yeah, I guess having a backup in your vehicle isn't a bad idea.

• Members

I think this matters on what kind of music and or what kind of shows you're playing. If it's original music, with a set time of a half hour or so, I wouldn't bother bringing a backup. Chances are you won't have a problem, and if you do, you can probably just borrow someone elses amp.

If you're a cover band or something that will require hours of playing, then yeah, I guess having a backup in your vehicle isn't a bad idea.

Great point. I play in a cover band that usually does 3-4 hour sets. We have to set up our own sound, so our load in is about an hour, sound check about 15-20 minutes. Bringing another amp and setting it next to mine might not be a bad idea, but it's also one more thing to carry/load in/load out.

• Members

I just have one of these in my gig bag. I've never had to use it, but other guitar player at the time did, just go right in to a direct box with it, right through the PA, does the job, nobody in the audience noticed.

SansAmpGT2-xlarge.jpg

• Members

I don't. I only carry extra tubes and cables. I used to carry a POD with me for emergencies but I sold it. I have a ToneLab now but I don't take it out on gigs, it's just plugged into my DAW.

I play original music only and the sets are generally short so if there is a problem, I just try to deal with it as quickly as possible or borrow an amp for the remaining songs. If that fails, we just cut the show short. But I haven't had any serious issues in years.

I do carry a backup guitar and leave it on stage, ready to go , but that's a lot easier than carrying an extra amp. I haven't had to use it in a long time either though, since I rarely break a string.

• Members

I always bring along my AMT P1 and an EHX 22 Caliber. In the unlikely event that my speaker cab were to fail, I could still use the speaker emulated out on the AMT to a direct box to PA.

• Members

I don't. I only carry extra tubes and cables. I used to carry a POD with me for emergencies but I sold it. I have a ToneLab now but I don't take it out on gigs, it's just plugged into my DAW.

I play original music only and the sets are generally short so if there is a problem, I just try to deal with it as quickly as possible or borrow an amp for the remaining songs. If that fails, we just cut the show short. But I haven't had any serious issues in years.

I do carry a backup guitar and leave it on stage, ready to go , but that's a lot easier than carrying an extra amp. I haven't had to use it in a long time either though, since I rarely break a string.

the backup guitar is essential when you are playing with active pickups and may or may not have changed the batteries recently

:lol:

• Members

I don't do that because it gets expensive. I do have back up batteries in my gig bag though.

i didn't always do it but i do now that i work for an alarm company and they order batteries in bulk. also my exwife used to buy batteries in bulk for hurricane season and i would just use those.

• Members

I'm paranoid about bringing backups, so yes. I almost always have a backup amp, and at least one backup guitar per tuning. I even have 2 cabinets I use, but mostly for the sound rather than a dedicated backup.

Have I ever needed a backup amp/guitar/cabinet? Luckily, no. But that is no excuse to not be prepared for when you may need one . . .

Archived