Looking for a new head, need help fining the one!

Guitarman686

• Members

Hello all,

I am in the market for a new head. I have been researching a lot but unfortunately I cant go and test any. So I come to you for help. Currently I have a 6505+ and a Triple XXX. Both of these heads are not cutting it for me. They both sound very trebly and fizzy. I like to play a bunch of styles. I want a nice clean channel, something sparkly that could handle some jazz, possibly with onboard reverb. Then I need a distortion chancel for extreme metal . I am currently running a 4x12 Vader cab. Im not really into rack gear but may be open to it. I want to be able to play some nice jazz type stuff, switch over to distortion for my extreme stuff but also be able to roll back the gain and land into some 80s hair metal territory. 2 channels would be fine but i can do more. I am not big on effects either. Little reverb and a decimator, lynch wah, and delay. Something that also will sound decent at low volumes will help a bunch. I usually spend more time playing my old marshall vs100 combo just because of the volume issue. Im looking to sell the other heads and raise capital for the new one. So sparkly cleans to uber brutal. What do you guys think is the best bet? Thank you!!

• Members

yup - budget is really going to drive this one

many here laud the 5150/6505 - but the clean channel IS always kinda of a compromise.

Is the clean more important, or the gain?

you can go a long way with a twin reverb and pedals too.

• Members

Im looking to sell both heads and raise about 1200. I can throw in some cash. So id say tops is 1500 for me. The gain is more important but I want something that I can practice some jazz progressions on. I was reading about a Soldano Lucky 13 which discusses shimmering surf cleans to high gain but the price is through the roof and I wonder if the gain really has balls.

• Members

I was looking into that mako, havent heard much of this company and dont know about rack gear. how do you set them up?

VERY easy. You would be spending a chunk of your budget on the preamp, in this case. You would basically just need the preamp, a rack case, and a power amp. Plug guitar into preamp, preamp into power amp, power amp into cab. Done. A lot easier than it seems. Id recommend getting the new mak4x preamp to save some space (but if you find a 4 space for a good price, grab that). Look around the used section here and grab an old peavey or carvin or mesa power amp...the peaveys and carvins are usually around 300-350 or so. Grab a rack case with enough space to house everything, and then a cheap furman just to make everything easy and give you 1 thing to plug in and 1 thing to turn on, and you should be good to go. You should be able to get it all used for under your budget.

Also, yeah, trade your cab for something else...or at least swap out the speakers.

Archived