Anyone see the vids of Metallica in the tuning room pre-show?

DARKMETL/

• Members

What exactly is the point of them miking the guitars and drums for these small room rehearsal/warm ups? Is it for in ear monitors in there? Why would they have in ears there? Looks like there is a full monitor system.

Anyway, seems overkill to me.

[video=youtube;GCtS-eEO0gQ]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i could have gotten kids from the neighborhood i hear jamming, given them one night to learn a metallica set and they would have sounded better than metallica themselves on the live stream i watched the other night. what a complete disaster

• Members

i could have gotten kids from the neighborhood i hear jamming, given them one night to learn a metallica set and they would have sounded better than metallica themselves on the live stream i watched the other night. what a complete disaster

but would the kids in your neighborhood have sold nearly half a million CDs in the first week for their last release? face it, Metallica is the biggest metal band here in the states. people would buy their piss if they sold it. why ask why?

• Members

but would the kids in your neighborhood have sold nearly half a million CDs in the first week for their last release? face it, Metallica is the biggest metal band here in the states. people would buy their piss if they sold it. why ask why?

i wasnt talking about record sales or popularity, i was talking about how they cant play their own songs worth a {censored}. i love metallica as much as anyone, but i dont know how anyone can defend their live playing.

• Members

i wasnt talking about record sales or popularity, i was talking about how they cant play their own songs worth a {censored}. i love metallica as much as anyone, but i dont know how anyone can defend their live playing.

It's Lars. You try playing Metallica style riffs to a drum beat that changes tempo every other note and see how good you sound.

• Members

Lol Lars is maybe the worst famous drummer I have ever heard.

There was a point around 88 where he was just incredibly tight and accurate. That Seattle show on Live {censored} was really some amazing work.

Everything since then has been progressively worse. Now he's at the point where they'd be better off sticking a monkey behind the kit. He'd probably have better rhythm, and he'd likely improve with more shows.

• Members

To be totally honest though most bands trying to cover metallica songs usually sound less than perfect. By the way raceu4her I still think you can play disposable heroes perfectly and all but finding a drummer and a second guitarist and a bassist and sing the vocals good enough live could even throw you off for example. Did you cover any of that stuff live?

• Members

To be totally honest though most bands trying to cover metallica songs usually sound less than perfect. By the way raceu4her I still think you can play disposable heroes perfectly and all but finding a drummer and a second guitarist and a bassist and sing the vocals good enough live could even throw you off for example. Did you cover any of that stuff live?

I used to. But it was late eighties/early nineties when the idea of practicing your instrument until you could actually play didn't send people into the corner to cry. Then Grunge hit and everybody decided practicing was for fools.

• Members

I used to. But it was late eighties/early nineties when the idea of practicing your instrument until you could actually play didn't send people into the corner to cry. Then Grunge hit and everybody decided practicing was for fools.

Vince Neil'd

• Members

Sig worthy comment about grunge. My singer/bassist keeps on insisting about practicing or evolving the technique that {censored} that, "others made careers playing three cords in total". His favourite band is nirvana...Needless to say that you can play even the easiest of songs terrible if you don't practice it!

• Members

Sig worthy comment about grunge. My singer/bassist keeps on insisting about practicing or evolving the technique that {censored} that, "others made careers playing three cords in total". His favourite band is nirvana...Needless to say that you can play even the easiest of songs terrible if you don't practice it!

Yep. And after I moved in 90 I have NEVER found another group of guys willing to practice on their own to get good enough to try playing actual songs when they get to rehearsal. So many people with the idea that they can just jump on stage and kill it without putting any effort in up front.

Also, there's a lot of bands that play a LOT MORE COMPLICATED {censored} than Metallica live and do it well. It just takes a willingness to put in the time.

• Members

Getting back to the OP's original question....don't they also sometimes use a video/audio feed from that room to play over screens to the crowd right before going on? Get 'em all worked up before going on?

I've never seen them do that. They record everything in their tuning room is why everything is miced. They do alot of just wanking and trying different things in the tuning room that they don't show on the vids. They record everything so if there are some riffs or jams they like they can come back to them later.

Archived