my Bad Horsie died today...

guitarbilly74

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Must be a plague. My Peterson Strobostomp bit the dust today. Damn thing only lasted 5 years. Say what you want about Boss pedals but I have never had one die.

RIP Wah and tuner. Could it be zombiepedalpocalypse ?

My CryBaby 95Q pedal died after 5 years. Hmmmmmmmmm ..... zombiepedalapocalypse indeed

• Members

It was your post a while back on the topic of wahs, discussing the faithfulness of your Bad Horsie and how it's been the last pedal standing on your board, that made me want to buy one....

...not so sure about that anymore :lol:

mojo :cry: that does suck

• Members

Billy, FWIW, mine hums and has always hummed, when it's close to a power source. It's not loud enough for me to ditch it though.

I have it on a Pedaltrain Jr, with a Voodoo Labs PP2+

Yeah I will try to move it away from the ISO-5. Right now it's right next to it. I always noticed a small hum but now it's pretty loud, even if the pedal is not engaged, it sounds like I lost a ground or something. :cry:

I will do some tests tonight though, maybe moving the pedal around will solve it.

• Members

no, I'd love to try one. There is also a new pedal called Maverick, which is supposed to be the BH circuit in a small case. If I can't this fixed I will give them both a try.

I really like the tremonti. It's brighter than the BH and has a touch of Crybaby character mixed with the usual Morley sound, some people think it's too shrill but I love the way it cuts.

Never tried the Maverick- part of me feels like they'd be more prone to breaking down just from having to miniaturize everything to cram it in there but it's probably just a psychological thing.

I really did not like the Lynch wahs at all FWIW.

• Members
should be a easy fix.

At least the schematic is available, posted on Morley's website. (Thank you, Morley!) :thu: The basic "wah" circuit is very similar to the classic Vox/Crybaby circuit, but there's a bunch of other electronic nonsense for buffers and to implement the "touchless" (electronic bypass) wah switching. And then there's the "contour" control, apparently some kind of EQ or boost function.

It has a CMOS chip in it, is there any chance the pedal got zapped with static electricity?

...mine hums and has always hummed, when it's close to a power source.

The wah inductor is prone to pick up magnetic interference...try moving the wah pedal away from the power supply or any transformers, that should help get rid of the hum.

• Members

after 16 years of faithful service
:cry:
RIP

Oddly enough, I just bought one yesterday, to replace my Lynch wah.

Only reason I don't care for the Lynch wah too much is I have to keep resetting the "Loudness" knob at noon because my foot keeps accidentally hitting it, and also engaging the "wow!" button - which I do not use.

• Members

At least the schematic is available, posted on Morley's website. (Thank you, Morley!)
:thu:
The basic "wah" circuit is very similar to the classic Vox/Crybaby circuit, but there's a bunch of other electronic nonsense for buffers and to implement the "touchless" (electronic bypass) wah switching. And then there's the "contour" control, apparently some kind of EQ or boost function.

It has a CMOS chip in it, is there any chance the pedal got zapped with static electricity?

The wah inductor is prone to pick up magnetic interference...try moving the wah pedal away from the power supply or any transformers, that should help get rid of the hum.

yes there is a chance this pedal was zapped with static electricity, beer, cigarette ashes, spit etc etc... I've been gigging it for years and it took a lot of abuse.

I will try moving it away from power supplier though. I hope it is something this simple.

• Members

Yeah I will try to move it away from the ISO-5. Right now it's right next to it. I always noticed a small hum but now it's pretty loud,
even if the pedal is not engaged
, it sounds like I lost a ground or something.
:cry:

I will do some tests tonight though, maybe moving the pedal around will solve it.

Hmmm, yeah then, it may be fried. I can't imagine why it would do that.

• Members

dude, I bought it in late '96 and played hundreds and hundreds of gigs with it. I can still vouch for it's reliability even if it's messed up now, not a bad record
:)

yeah, i'm still going to give it a shot. my only experience was years ago at a GC as a total noob plugged into one through one of their practice amps before I could think with my feet...

• Members

Well I moved the ISO-5 to the other side of the board and the problem went away. False alarm. Here's to 16 more years!

That's the problem with the Pedaltrains where you put the power supply underneath, they go in the middle, so, I can never rectify this sort of problem with that board :cry:

Meh, I really don't use it much anymore anyway.

Glad to see you got it straight brah.

• Members

Weird that it would just start being a problem out of the blue like that. Least it's fixed though

I know. It is weird. I noticed that there is a small hum that wasn't there even with the other pedals. I hope my ISO-5 is not the culprit, it is 2 months old! I have to do some more testing.

• Members

Morley wahs are great. I have a NSW (No Switch Wah) from '92 that was giving me problems. Fixed the trip point per the tech instructions on the Morley site, fixed an intermittent on/off problem by tightening the treadle bolts (per the advice of Scott at Morley), and while I was in there moved the LEDs to add more midrange to the tone (also per the tech instructions on the site). It's now performing and sounding better than ever.

http://www.morleypedals.com/techtalk.html

• Members

Morley wahs are great. I have a NSW (No Switch Wah) from '92 that was giving me problems. Fixed the trip point per the tech instructions on the Morley site, fixed an intermittent on/off problem by tightening the treadle bolts (per the advice of Scott at Morley), and while I was in there moved the LEDs to add more midrange to the tone (also per the tech instructions on the site). It's now performing and sounding better than ever.

Yeah I found this document the other day. I have to {censored} with the LEDs to see how it changes the tone. Although I like the tone in its stock form.

Archived