What band has the worst anti-fanbois?

teemuk

• Members

I don't care if you hate Nickelback or Creed so much that you'd rather listen to a rather vocal all-male orgy. You can't honestly tell me that much of the hate for those two bands in particular isn't bandwagon hopping.

I guess I only know about my own personal reasons for hating Nickleback. Hell, I actually liked them early on, but got them shoved on me so often I ended up not being able to stand them. Same thing with Nirvana.

Maybe the bandwagon thing goes down on the internet. I mean, everybody wants to be one of the cool kids on the internet.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess I only know about my own personal reasons for hating Nickleback. Hell, I actually liked them early on, but got them shoved on me so often I ended up not being able to stand them. Same thing with Nirvana.

Maybe the bandwagon thing goes down on the internet. I mean, everybody wants to be one of the cool kids on the internet.

Most people here knows I love Bryan Adams, and I'm not afraid to admit it. Plus: Bryan Adams > Nickelback

• Members

The whole reason Kurt Cobain gets put on top 100 guitar player ever lists and {censored} is because it annoys a certain kind of guitarist. And I'm totally for it.

I'm not sure that's why he's on such lists, but IMO Nirvana put together music much more interesting than thousands of shredders can, and I say that as a fan of shred. :D

• Members

I'm not sure that's
why
he's on such lists, but IMO
Nirvana put together music much more interesting
than thousands of shredders can, and I say that as a fan of shred.
:D

Meh, I would say that the magic in Nirvana's music is it's simplicity and general attitude, like other kinds of music. I'm not sure I'd call that more "interesting" than say, Cupid's Dead or Peacemaker Die from Extreme, or some of the more musically deep choices from say Vai or Satch. More "interesting" than something CC Deville came up with? DEFINITELY :lol:

I guess that depends on what who finds "interesting".

• Members

Meh, I would say that the magic in Nirvana's music is it's simplicity and general attitude, like other kinds of music. I'm not sure I'd call that more "interesting" than say, Cupid's Dead or Peacemaker Die from Extreme, or some of the more musically deep choices from say Vai or Satch. More "interesting" than something CC Deville came up with? DEFINITELY
:lol:

I guess that depends on what who finds "interesting".

Oh, I meant that the simplicity is more interesting to me than overworking something and getting too caught up into technique that really can only speak to relatively few people. But there's also the challenge in making something simple that's also interesting and that commands attention. :cool:

• Members

Oh, I meant that the simplicity is more interesting to me than overworking something and getting too caught up into technique that really can only speak to relatively few people. But there's also the challenge in making something simple that's also interesting and that commands attention.
:cool:

Truth.

• Members

No, they really don't. A few people decided to hate them and their peers jumped on the bandwagon. Next thing you know it was cool to hate Creed and Nickelback. But the hatred is unwarranted and is simply based on envy and jealousy of their success and popularity. There are thousands of popular bands that suck much worse than either of these bands.

I don't really care for either of the bands, just making an observation.

:idk:

I don't think its jealousy of popularity. Its more about not being able to go 5 minutes without hearing something about them, and their cringe worthy lyrics. Plus they are like the poster child for over compressed recordings and uninspired song writing by committee. So its easy to hate on them as a way of hating on lack of originality in radio music. If Nickelback was a movie, they would be a remake of a remake of a remake.

• Members

Most people here knows I love Bryan Adams, and I'm not afraid to admit it. Plus: Bryan Adams > Nickelback

Hey, people can say what they want. At least Bryan Adams started with talent. Granted, you can questions some of the ways he's chosen to utilize that talent, but there's no denying it's there.

• Members

I don't think its jealousy of popularity. Its more about not being able to go 5 minutes without hearing something about them, and their cringe worthy lyrics. Plus they are like the poster child for over compressed recordings and uninspired song writing by committee. So its easy to hate on them as a way of hating on lack of originality in radio music. If Nickelback was a movie, they would be a remake of a remake of a remake.

I think these are all fair explanations, even the jealousy one. Everybody has their reasons, some are legit, some are questionable. Though these may be the reasons the hate began, I'd still say at least half the hate stems from hearing someone else hating on them and joining in.

Especially about the uninspiring writing and crappy lyrics, I agree. Though I do still like My Own Prison (at the time, it seemed new and fresh, but maybe that was due to my youth and thus lack of experience when it came out), I've tried to go back and listen to Human Clay, and it's just so stale and emotionless.

• Members

I thank Nirvana for shoving the faces of all the hair metal bands into running meat grinders. All the Nirvana haters can lick me.

By showing that you can gravel and grovel your way through a song with very mediocre musical talent....and still hit it big....if If you are just artsy enough

and your timing is right.

Half-assed garage musicians everywhere rejoiced.... Yippee!

• Members

By showing that you can gravel and grovel your way through a song with very mediocre musical talent....and still hit it big....if If you are just artsy enough

and your timing is right.

Half-assed garage musicians everywhere rejoiced.... Yippee!

One-dimensional perspective, how does it work? Musical talent =/= songwriting talent. The two are NOT mutually exclusive. I could play circles around Cobain at his best, but that mother{censored}er knew how to write a song. He could write a hook like nobody's business. I'm not what anyone would call a big Nirvana fan...far from it...but they definitely had some decent tunes, and Cobain absolutely KNEW how to write a song. The only thing off the top of my head that you could say was sort of a ripoff was Teen Spirit, which followed the Pixies' song formula to a "t". The rest was very original for the time.

• Members

One-dimensional perspective, how does it work? Musical talent =/= songwriting talent. The two are NOT mutually exclusive. I could play circles around Cobain at his best, but that mother{censored}er knew how to write a song. He could write a hook like nobody's business. I'm not what anyone would call a big Nirvana fan...far from it...but they definitely had some decent tunes, and Cobain absolutely KNEW how to write a song. The only thing off the top of my head that you could say was sort of a ripoff was Teen Spirit, which followed the Pixies' song formula to a "t". The rest was very original for the time.

I was being a bit facetious. Anti-fan-boi I guess. :idk:

But I realize you are looking for a fight just about every/any time with me, right? The good thing about music is that you can put out anything...and either people will like it or not. Hard to be critical if people buy it. It doesn't necessarily make it musical genius or not. And not everything needs to be.

There are certain parts of the 80's that needed ending. I've always thought it was Pearl Jam and Soundgarden more that Nirvana. But to dismiss the whole 80's genre is equally as rubbish, right? I know how it works....one dimensional perspective abounds. The irony.

• Members

I thank Nirvana for shoving the faces of all the hair metal bands into running meat grinders. All the Nirvana haters can lick me.

It's comments like this that make me wonder if it was more of the fact that everyone was sick of "hair" rock and just wanted something different, or was it that Nirvana was just THAT good, or both, and what was the breakdown? Kind of like the idea that one may not like a Dem/Pub controlled congress, so, they vote the other side in because of how bad the current peeps are doing, not so much because the other party is THAT good.

• Members

I was being a bit facetious. Anti-fan-boi I guess.
:idk:

But I realize you are looking for a fight just about every/any time with me, right
? The good thing about music is that you can put out anything...and either people will like it or not. Hard to be critical if people buy it. It doesn't necessarily make it musical genius or not. And not everything needs to be.

There are certain parts of the 80's that needed ending. I've always thought it was Pearl Jam and Soundgarden more that Nirvana. But to dismiss the whole 80's genre is equally as rubbish, right? I know how it works....one dimensional perspective abounds. The irony.

Come off it dude. I'm not trying to be a jerk or make a personal statement about you, because I don't know you, but this always seems to be an issue, like the drama just follows you around.

Archived