ATTN: HCAFers in their VERY early 40s...

The Anomaly

• Members

I never wore Dungarees. I'm not even sure what they are.

But:

1. We only got three channels on TV. NBC, ABC, CBS. There was a PBS station but it was too far away to get good reception.

2. Full service gas stations with either "regular" or "premium". The earliest gas price I can remember in my life was 49 cents a gallon.

3. Marlboro Lights were 75 cents (this was only back in the 80s...we pay nearly 7 dollars a pack now)

4. Hair metal was just called "metal"...maybe "glam" once in a while. I don't recall ANYONE referring to it as "Hair Metal" back when it was actually popular.

5. See LOTS of the music that was popular when I was a teenager starting to be referred to as "classic rock". This is the only one that's a bit tough to take.

6. I remember the first time I heard a CD in 1984 or 1985. I remember being absolutely BLOWN away that there was NO noise between songs. It still stands as a great moment of revelation in music...hearing the first digital recordings.

EDIT: And yeah...my dad insisted that I get a job and get out of the house shortly after graduation. However a lot of that probably had to do with the fact that I was a bit of a long haired burnout back then.

• Members

I'm seriously considering buying a nice turntable. I miss the whole trip of buying a record, taking it home, getting stoned as a heretic and listening to the whole record while reading the liner notes & lyric sheets. The whole "fondle & fetish" aspect that made buying that new record a much more special experience than just downloading it. Plus, you had to know the guys at your local record store and read import magazines to find out about new bands and special order the hard-to-find import stuff.

• Members

I'm in my mid 40's i haven't gained a pound since my late 20's, no hair ( who cares:cry:) I haven't played in a band in 2 years but i was non stop for over 20 years. Now i'm doing comedy and having a blast.
Money's so so, but i've got no kids and low overhead. I still go to death metal and punk shows, now i'm the old guy rocking out at the concert:facepalm::lol:.

Cheers!:wave:

• Members

You wore Dungarees (or even know WTF they are).

I think they called jeans "Dungarees" in the 40's,....1940's. Not sure,...

So, I'm 47 and can identify with both the age threads as I've enjoyed life and music through each era/decade.

Did not liked hand held games. Even back then I knew they sucked.

Thriller came out when I was 17, a junior in HS -- now that's a bug-out.

I did learn cursive,...was pretty good at it actually.

I like technology for the most part, but do miss albums. Still got a bunch of vinyl from my youf.

Parents kept tabs on me, but, yeah, it was a bit more laid back I guess.

Loved paying outside but I watched a lot of TV before we even got cable back in 1980. When MTV came out in 1981 I thought it was the bast thing evar!

I'm getting old but I still playing in a band (two actually). I'm in good shape, trim and have all my hair. Have a job that pays me pretty well, a nice house (with a band/rehearsal room) a beautiful wife, two grown kids, a dog and a cat. Life ain't so bad,...even though I'm staring down the big five-O I cannot complain.

• Members

I never wore Dungarees. I'm not even sure what they are.

But:

1. We only got three channels on TV. NBC, ABC, CBS. There was a PBS station but it was too far away to get good reception.

2. Full service gas stations with either "regular" or "premium". The earliest gas price I can remember in my life was 49 cents a gallon.

3. Marlboro Lights were 75 cents (this was only back in the 80s...we pay nearly 7 dollars a pack now)

4. Hair metal was just called "metal"...maybe "glam" once in a while. I don't recall ANYONE referring to it as "Hair Metal" back when it was actually popular.

5. See LOTS of the music that was popular when I was a teenager starting to be referred to as "classic rock". This is the only one that's a bit tough to take.

6. I remember the first time I heard a CD in 1984 or 1985. I remember being absolutely BLOWN away that there was NO noise between songs. It still stands as a great moment of revelation in music...hearing the first digital recordings.

EDIT: And yeah...my dad insisted that I get a job and get out of the house shortly after graduation. However a lot of that probably had to do with the fact that I was a bit of a long haired burnout back then.

hahaha I agree with all this :lol:

I am actually looking forward to getting to my 40's. I think it could potentially be the best decade of my life. :)

• Members

Y'all mo{censored}as is old.
:lol:

I remember life when your handheld game just had a bunch of red dashes on it.

Thriller is almost 30 years ago.

You still learned cursive in grade school.

You wore Dungarees (or even know WTF they are).

You bought complete albums on vinyl, and actually listened to them whole.

Your parents DIDN'T know where you were, every second of the day, and couldn't contact you whenever they wanted.

Your parents kicked you out of the house to play outside.

Jokes on you really. I see all of the above as positives.

{censored} the youth of today. Seriously.

You're {censored}ing worthless on the whole.

Archived