blackstar vs jet city

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

Blackstar has a more modern hard rock sound, where as jet city gets that soldano raw crunch that is thick in the mids. The blackstar ht-20 and up have much better cleans than the jet city and I would say that the blackstar amps are more versatile as well for crunch tones. I do think the jet city amps take drive pedals better though.

That said you will see people come in and say neither, go with a Marshall :o

• Members

I would take any Jet City over any Blackstar.

I hate Blackstar amps. I like absolutely nothing about them.

They sound bland as fuck to boot.

I don't like their name, logo, aggressive marketing, generic tone, jack of all nature, HR department, pricing, people that run the company, their endorsees, the cosmetics, the overall vibe of the amps. I also don't like the way they record, their reliability, etc etc etc. just goes on.

I'd take a JCA100HDM over any shitty Blackstar.

There is more tone in a JCA20H than any of Blackstars amps channels combined.

Fuck Blackstar.

I despise them.

*spits*

:mad:

• Members

I don't like their name, logo,
aggressive marketing
, generic tone, jack of all nature,
HR department
, pricing,
people that run the company
, their endorsees, the cosmetics, the overall vibe of the amps. I also don't like the way they record, their reliability, etc etc etc. just goes on.

Fuck Blackstar.

I despise them.

*spits*

Explain :confused:

Some people want more than just a good crunch tone. If I was playing metal or needed good cleans I undoubtedly would take one of the higher wattage blackstars.

• Members

Both are solid. Obviously, JCA get my vote because the basic "crunch" channel is absolutely brilliant. The Soldano overdrive channel is just thick and beautiful, too. Blackstar is great but they sound more "generic" to me. Not bad at any point, just don't impress me.

• Members

Had a Blackstar 20 head that I paid over $400 for - I originally wanted a JCA22H last summer, but got tired of waiting. Couldn't tame the excessive gain and found it way too dark for my tastes. Wound up taking it back and getting a JCA50H for almost the same money. A tube change and rebias, and I'm absolutely at home with it. Still a bit higher gain than I care for, but kicks ass for me. Pretty straightforward modding capability, too, which wasn't even a realistic possibility with the (hybrid?) Blackstar.

JCA all the way.

• Members

Not played Jet City, all the demos I've seen and heard they sound great :)

Blackstar has some hate here, and some that like.

I've liked the HT40 when I've used it, works for me ! purchased to cover rehearsals and specifically one regular gig in the local pub where Marshall + 4x12 = Drama episodes :rolleyes:

However...

In comparison to the little DT25 that's just arrived I can see immediately what is missing. Blackstar make a good gigable product with as many have said their own sound it is dark but it's also a very pleasing no ice picky highs just overall a balanced gain channel and a useable clean channel. What it lacks is character and therefor IMO the inspiration to play and create is muted ...there I've said it ..basically I'm agreeing with Nerine FFS :mad::mad:

oh and the gain channel never really cleans up that well..like a good Marshall, it lacks the spank in the treble so it simply can't do it ...good job it has clean channel

DT25 full gain metall screaming rage mode ...wind back on vol clean and spanky,.. kin ell :love:

:deadhorse:

Try a JCA (or a DT25)

• Members

I don't like their name, logo, aggressive marketing, generic tone, jack of all nature, HR department, pricing, people that run the company, their endorsees, the cosmetics, the overall vibe of the amps. I also don't like the way they record, their reliability, etc etc etc. just goes on.

Fuck Blackstar.

I despise them.

*spits*

Says the guy that buys $3K amps, says the amp is the best thing ever, only to turn around and say it sucks and sell it two weeks later :lol: Is there anything you like Nerine? :lol:

• Members

To the OP. You'll never get a definitive answer here unless you describe what you're looking for. Jet City's and Line 6 products don't kill anything, let alone a Blackstar...(the inverse is also true for Blackstar) but all of these amps serve a purpose depending on application. For me the Blackstars get a great lead tone and react to my guitar's volume control well. The Jet City is useless for me...but that's just me. I sold an HT20 to a friend and the first thing he did was put lower gain tubes in...I'd NEVER do that...but again, that's just me.

So I think the bottom line is that most of these inexpensive amps will do some things well and others not so good. You pick!

• Members

Not played Jet City, all the demos I've seen and heard they sound great
:)

Blackstar has some hate here, and some that like.

I've liked the HT40 when I've used it, works for me ! purchased to cover rehearsals and specifically one regular gig in the local pub where Marshall + 4x12 = Drama episodes
:rolleyes:

However...

In comparison to the little DT25 that's just arrived I can see immediately what is missing. Blackstar make a good gigable product with as many have said their own sound it is dark but it's also a very pleasing no ice picky highs just overall a balanced gain channel and a useable clean channel. What it lacks is character and therefor IMO the inspiration to play and create is muted ...there I've said it ..basically I'm agreeing with Nerine FFS

oh and the gain channel never really cleans up that well..like a good Marshall, it lacks the spank in the treble so it simply can't do it ...good job it has clean channel

DT25 full gain metall screaming rage mode ...wind back on vol clean and spanky,.. kin ell
:love:
:deadhorse:

Try a JCA (or a DT25)

Need more info on the DT25. I'm in the market for a new amp and am pretty close to pulling the trigger on one of the new Marshall DSLs, the 40 watt combo.

• Members

Need more info on the DT25. I'm in the market for a new amp and am pretty close to pulling the trigger on one of the new Marshall DSLs, the 40 watt combo.

sounds great, the clean is really full bell like and sweet ..think vintage cool, crank up the Marshall/plexi/whatever model and its instant ACDC wind it down Kossof ..its' just right , the vox channel is sort of not my thing, but I'm diggin it , reminds me of the Little Cornford I had :confused: The gainier channel is tight and controlled and percussive really nice to play very rich distortion, more depth than the Blackstar more top end..I've got the little combo and there's plenty of bass ..astonishing amp really for what I paid, I'm seriuosly happy with it.

Dont want to post this, because Chappers & shitstorm but wtf[video=youtube;I9E2eXXwW28]

• Members

I gig a blackstart HT-100 for almost two years now. Thing has been solid so far. I bought a JCA20 and it sounded pretty darn good at home. But, got lost in the mix with a band. It wasn't a volume thing as I could turn it up to be heard, but something didn't jive right.

Archived