New G'N'R live stuff!!! Axl on his A-game!

FrostByte

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Most guys with similar 'instinctive' shouting style would suffer from vocal chord damages after a couple of years. Think for ex. Chris Cornell. The only person is the AC/DC's singer, I can't detect any effect.

It's not shouting. There are perfectly healthy ways of creating grit that won't ruin your voice. The long screechy vocal noise at the start of Jungle (the real one... he didn't even bother trying in this clip :lol:) sounds very much like a high pitched vocal fry, which is actually quite an easy and relaxed noise to make (well, the fry bit anyway). It might sound like he has razor blades in his throat or something, but it's a deceptively relaxed technique. :idk:

The problem seems to be more how he reaches (or these days, woefully attempts to reach) his high notes.

I can't explain Brian Johnson though. He seems to put similar stresses on his vocal bits, and is still doing it 30 something years on. Freak. :freak:

• Members
Laugh all you want. Axl has contributed more to rock and heavy music than any of you suckers
:D

Personally, I don't get the point of these bull{censored} acoustic things. They're all crap. Alice in Chains, Nirvana, didn't get it. It wasn't "soulful", it wasn't "intimate", it wasn't "compelling". It was just tedious. Same with Guns 'n Roses unplugged. I mean, wtf!?

But really, I enjoy GnR. They influenced me a lot growing up, I used to learn GnR songs just the same as Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Sepultura songs and I'm not ashamed of any of that. Sorry you're all bitter and twisted up about an old guy who still has the bottle to create a bunch of drama and still get up on stage regardless of health, but sucks to be you
:D

Personally, if I'm still commanding an audience when I'm an old-ass bitch barely able to strum through arthritis, then {censored} yea! Balls to anyone who slings mud, I say!

Yep, Tiny Tim was a game changer too. :lol:

• Members
Guys, I am fairly certain that this is fake. C'mon. I mean even the guiatars are out of tune.

Could be wrong though.

OK, listened some more. Appears to be real. Oh boy.

^^^ Describes my entire listening/reacting process, precisely. Had to bail right before the 2 min. mark. :freak:

• Members
I can't explain Brian Johnson though. He seems to put similar stresses on his vocal bits, and is still doing it 30 something years on. Freak.
:freak:

Bryan Johnson used good technique and doesn't sing from his throat. That rasp can be created with air flow. It's not harmful to the vocal cords. That said, Axl typically has great technique - especially on his last few tours. He has amazing (typically) control over his tone. If he had been singing/screeching from his throat like that all these years, he wouldn't have lasted a single tour. Of course, he's lucky to last one for other reasons, like showing up and causing riots but that's beside the point.

This performance is terrible, no doubt. But I don't think it's from having shredded his voice. This, I think, is a simple case of not being prepared and not putting in the work necessary to make those songs work in an acoustic setting. Squandered opportunity.

• Members
It's not shouting. There are perfectly healthy ways of creating grit that won't ruin your voice. The long screechy vocal noise at the start of Jungle (the real one... he didn't even bother trying in this clip
:lol:
) sounds very much like a high pitched vocal fry, which is actually quite an easy and relaxed noise to make (well, the fry bit anyway). It might sound like he has razor blades in his throat or something, but it's a deceptively relaxed technique.
:idk:

The problem seems to be more how he reaches (or these days, woefully attempts to reach) his high notes.

I can't explain Brian Johnson though. He seems to put similar stresses on his vocal bits, and is still doing it 30 something years on. Freak.
:freak:

Brian Johnson is 99% falsetto the whole time but as someone else said gets his rasp in a healthy way. His regular speaking voice is hilariously deep given his singing style.

• Members
It's not shouting. There are perfectly healthy ways of creating grit that won't ruin your voice. The long screechy vocal noise at the start of Jungle (the real one... he didn't even bother trying in this clip
:lol:
) sounds very much like a high pitched vocal fry, which is actually quite an easy and relaxed noise to make (well, the fry bit anyway). It might sound like he has razor blades in his throat or something, but it's a deceptively relaxed technique.
:idk:

:

god I wish i could do it! it sounds unreal

• Members

if this was the case hells bells would have never been an issue live which is far from the case

Not sure what you're trying to dispute. That he's mostly falsetto? He is, ask any voice teacher. Most of Axl's upper register is as well :idea: That he does it in a healthy way? Obviously sometimes he, like pretty much every guy singing in this style, pushes too hard sometimes, which doesn't work for falsetto gravel.

Archived