Best low wattage tube amp for high gain?

c_corie

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ijams View Post
High gain i think jet city so they make a pico valve 1 watt head
I may look utube it for myself.
Tube amp tone is best during some power tube breakup,my rebel 30 is way too loud even using a weber mass lite !
1 watt is trumpet loud !
This is the only one I know of that you could possibly get away with. You can actually crank it and get a cranked, high gain sound at low vol. The others I tried next to it were low wattage for sure, but still very loud. (tiny terror and the little vox head).

But I would agree with those that suggested a SS modeling amp, or modeler thru your comp.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by yamahamian View Post
Forget tubes, you should get a THR from Yamaha. More sounds, great tone at super-low volume, recording interface built in. Much more bang for buck and everything you want -- plus. You can even mic it onstage.
^ This.

I use mine onstage by using the earphone out of the THR into the aux in of my larger amp.

Outstanding little amp. To hell with tubes.

• Members

I still can't understand the need for low wattage and disregard for the type of gain. I mean if there was a perfect micro rectifier low wattage tube head I still wouldn't give a {censored} as I don't like them. The same for diezel type of gain or plexi. Which is personal prefference and nothing more anyway. VHT deliverance of 1 watt? Sure! 5150? Great!!! Marks? Excellent!!! And so on...

Secondly to go for tube gain stages wouldn't mean dick because if you go for high-high gain, dynamics is an overrated part...You usually compress enough to not care for touch sensitivity and you don't push the power section and feel the speaker damping etc...

So I think crunchtime's method is excellent. Or a modelling amp. Or a clean one with pedals. I find that valvestates (the older ones) are excellent for creating pedal based high gain sounds on the clean-CLEAN channel. Way better than most tube heads small or big.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by codecontra View Post
I never really understood the idea that you need to have a low wattage amp for apartment use. I use a 100 watt Marshall JCM 2000 DSL in my apartment. I think it sounds good even at apartment level volume. It's at around .5 in this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOD1jC4U5oU
Exactly. IMO for high gain you don't want to push the power section anyway, as things get looser and muddier. The exception would be if you want to play Gilmour style leads all the time.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Filter500

View Post

Exactly. IMO for high gain you don't want to push the power section anyway, as things get looser and muddier. The exception would be if you want to play Gilmour style leads all the time.

Yeah but low power, high gain isn't about turning up and playing loud. It's about playing at TV volumes with your 2 year old sleeping upstairs. You crank the gain and then turn up to a nice comfortable speaking level and it doesn't blow out the windows.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion DC

View Post

Yeah but low power, high gain isn't about turning up and playing loud. It's about playing at TV volumes with your 2 year old sleeping upstairs. You crank the gain and then turn up to a nice comfortable speaking level and it doesn't blow out the windows.

I can do that on my 50 watt heads. As long as the amp's volume pot has a good taper it isn't a problem. I keep the volumes almost all of the way down.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Filter500

View Post

I can do that on my 50 watt heads. As long as the amp's volume pot has a good taper it isn't a problem. I keep the volumes almost all of the way down.

The difference is at super low volumes your 50 watt power section will sound thin and the 5 watt will be compressing slightly and just into its sweet spot. I'm not saying the bigger amp is unplayable and if you're happy with it then more power to you. Hell even if the two sound exactly the same I'll still take the 5 watt cause it'll be lighter, smaller and cheaper. The 5 watter is certainly not going to be much good with a loud metal drummer but that's not what it's for.

• Members

View Post

The difference is at super low volumes your 50 watt power section will sound thin and the 5 watt will be compressing slightly and just into its sweet spot. I'm not saying the bigger amp is unplayable and if you're happy with it then more power to you. Hell even if the two sound exactly the same I'll still take the 5 watt cause it'll be lighter, smaller and cheaper. The 5 watter is certainly not going to be much good with a loud metal drummer but that's not what it's for.

I gotta disagree on that. Even at low volume, I find a 50 watter with a good master volume implementation sounds bigger and has a tighter bass and faster response than the 5 watter which tend to have looser bass and a more slinky feel. Both can deliver too loud volumes for home use anyway before being anywhere near power tube distortion (not to mention it isn't necessarily desired with high gain tones).

• Members

View Post

I guess I find the sweet spot is as low as possible. I don't like that slight compression, but I guess it's a matter of taste and playing style. I find that it sounds smoothest and most refined at whisper levels, and raunchier as it gets louder.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LaXu

View Post

I gotta disagree on that. Even at low volume, I find a 50 watter with a good master volume implementation sounds bigger and has a tighter bass and faster response than the 5 watter which tend to have looser bass and a more slinky feel. Both can deliver too loud volumes for home use anyway before being anywhere near power tube distortion (not to mention it isn't necessarily desired with high gain tones).

I guess I should try to be clearer. I would agree that a 5watt class A amp is looser feeling and scary loud when you get the power stage distorted, however a class AB/push-pull style 5 watt amp doesn't sound like that. You're only turning up enough to get the power stage slightly warm, where its just starting to compress. Every bit of your gain is still coming from your pre-amp, not the power section.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion DC View Post
I guess I should try to be clearer. I would agree that a 5watt class A amp is looser feeling and scary loud when you get the power stage distorted, however a class AB/push-pull style 5 watt amp doesn't sound like that. You're only turning up enough to get the power stage slightly warm, where its just starting to compress. Every bit of your gain is still coming from your pre-amp, not the power section.
Yet I still find that even low wattage AB class amps do have a different feel and sound to them compared to similar amps of 50-100 W.

Nevertheless, no matter what you use you can't get away from the fact that slightly louder does sound better. It doesn't have to be uncomfortably loud but it is often so loud that your neighbors will complain. I feel that most amps have a sort of "minimum great tone" level on the volume control where the tone kinda jumps from meh to nice and anything beyond that is just grave as long as the master volume is done right - as in it doesn't need to be cranked for teh tones and isn't the kind where the area between 0 and 1 on the dial is the difference between "almost no sound at all" and "freakin' loud".

• Members

Sold my V-Zex nano when I realized I couldn't open it up in my (then) apartment.

Thr10 sounds like a good idea. The clips sounded good. Sounds like it can emulate a pushed amp well. If it's going into my DAW I can crank it as loud as needed.

I've resigned myself that I'm gonna deal with mostly preamp distortion at home unless I get a solid state setup.

Archived