Best low wattage tube amp for high gain?

c_corie

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by FrostByte View Post
Another vote against tubes. I got a Peavey Vypyr 15 a few weeks ago and it's THE best $89 I've EVER spent thumb.gif So many tones and effects available and it sounds/feels great.

I will also second what codecontra said. I have two 120 watt half-stacks sitting here that sound just fine at low volumes, they do have volume knobs... Do they sound as good quiet as they do cranked? No, but do you really need to sound 100% as good as you can possibly sound, 100% of the time to practice? No...
I loved my Vypyr practice amp, sold it to my roomate. When I wanna be quiet I just use Pod Farm on my computer instead of using my 6505+

• Members

To the OP, I think the moral of this story is that everyone here is right to a degree.

All of these options work. Do they work for you is the question.

I personally have much of these options available to me. I have a Mesa Roadster set to 50 watt setting and play it at bedroom levels and to me It sounds great!
I also have a Jet City JCA20H 20 watt head w/ cab and it sounds great.
I also have a Fender Mustang I, 15 watt modelling amp. Amp sims sound pretty good, (don't care for the 10" speaker but I run it out to an external cab) with PC interface
and I have Line 6 Pod Farm PC interface.

All of these options work, it just comes down to what you like. I personally don't mind playing Mesa Recto at low volumes. Sounds good to me but some others may not dig it because your not really opening up the amp.

Some prefer modellers, I don't because they usually sound like modellers (AXE FX & Kemper notwithstanding)

I say keep your tremoverb and use that initially. If you find it is not working for you in your apartment setting then look into other options.

Good Luck

• Members

Echoing others..

Any option works it just depends on your ears and preferences.

Personally.. I hate headphones. I like to hear the sound move through the air.. even if it's low volume. Even at 3am.. I can play and enjoy myself with a 60 Watt 2x12 tube amp.. without having volume complaints from people sleeping 2 doors away.

Secondly.. I don't understand the desire for "high gain low volume tube amp".. I think that's stupid.

High gain is more about headroom and preamp gain. This is why true high gain amps are 100W or 200W. It's blues and classic rock that need the low wattage tube amps.. for power amp gain/saturation.

A 100W Tube amp can work.. you just need a way to attentuate the volume.. because an 'out of 10 knob' can be quite tricky.. going from a whisper to a roar quickly. This is where some sort of volume control in the effects loop helps.. a volume pedal.. an EQ pedal.. a multi effects pedal (Digitech RP in my case) helps.

What about speakers? I don't see any advantages to a smaller speaker. I have Yamaha THR10.. and with it's dual 3.5 inch speakers.. it 'moves plenty of air'.. it's like a fan blowing air on me when I turn it 70% volume.. however.. it doesn't feel necessarily any better than my 60 watt Blackstar. I prefer the Blackstar personally..

Modellers are great but can sound tinny.. or fizzy.. knowing how to tweak them helps.. but again.. I hate headphones.. and then it comes back to what speaker is it going through? Through a decent speaker.. any modern modeller will sound great. You can even play them through Hi Fi stereos.. and adjust EQ accordingly and they'll sound good.. or a keyboard amp. Or studio monitors..

You can't really go wrong.. and since it's low volume.. it's all about what's fun to play for you.. there's no right or wrong. I like to have lots of EQ flexibilty for my higher gain sounds.. for example.. I hate to be boxed in by 1 or 3 band EQ's.. unless the amps voicing is really close to what I already want. For a simple blues sound it's more of a pure woody guitar sound.. but for high gain.. playing with EQ's and chasing different albums tones is fun.

There's no one right answer.. you just need to try them all for yourself.

• Members

If I was wanting high gain with super low volumes for practice and such I'd just get something like a POD and either run it through headphones or my computer speakers.

Otherwise most amps wether they are 1 watt or 100 watts are going to be loud. You can play any wattage amp at very low volumes but probably won't be overly happy with the punchiness and overall thinner tone at those volumes.

• Members

What about sinking serious money into that Kemper deal and running it through my KRK V4 monitors? I feel like PODs and all that blow (although I picked up their M5, and dig it for the price.) I mean should I look into a Kemper or a Recording Recto or something? I would prefer tube, but if not I'd like the best most REALISTIC option next to cranking up my Tremoverb.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by c_corie

View Post

What about sinking serious money into that Kemper deal and running it through my KRK V4 monitors? I feel like PODs and all that blow (although I picked up their M5, and dig it for the price.) I mean should I look into a Kemper or a Recording Recto or something? I would prefer tube, but if not I'd like the best most REALISTIC option next to cranking up my Tremoverb.

IMO using something with some really good headphones will give you the most punch and cranked feel without disturbing neighbors. Anything running through a speaker cab IMO is going to have to be loud to get anywhere close to feeling like a cranked T-verb or any other amp. It's just a thing where through a speaker cab it's all about pushing the speakers to get that tone and that requires volume.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jlb32

View Post

IMO using something with some really good headphones will give you the most punch and cranked feel without disturbing neighbors. Anything running through a speaker cab IMO is going to have to be loud to get anywhere close to feeling like a cranked T-verb or any other amp. It's just a thing where through a speaker cab it's all about pushing the speakers to get that tone and that requires volume.

So even with a simulator or something through monitors I'll have to have it cranked to have punch?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by c_corie

View Post

So even with a simulator or something through monitors I'll have to have it cranked to have punch?

Monitors or computer speakers with a bass module IMO will give you more punch at decent volumes over a speaker cab but they can get pretty loud also. I guess it just depends on how loud you consider to loud for your apartment and how much punch you are wanting.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by IbanezJon View Post
Echoing others..

Any option works it just depends on your ears and preferences.

Personally.. I hate headphones. I like to hear the sound move through the air.. even if it's low volume. Even at 3am.. I can play and enjoy myself with a 60 Watt 2x12 tube amp.. without having volume complaints from people sleeping 2 doors away.

Secondly.. I don't understand the desire for "high gain low volume tube amp".. I think that's stupid.

A 100W Tube amp can work..

What about speakers?

Modellers are great but can sound tinny.. or fizzy.. knowing how to tweak them helps.. but again.. I hate headphones..

You can't really go wrong.. and since it's low volume.. it's all about what's fun to play for you.. there's no right or wrong. I like to have lots of EQ flexibilty for my higher gain sounds.. for example.. I hate to be boxed in by 1 or 3 band EQ's.. unless the amps voicing is really close to what I already want. For a simple blues sound it's more of a pure woody guitar sound.. but for high gain.. playing with EQ's and chasing different albums tones is fun.

There's no one right answer.. you just need to try them all for yourself.
You nailed so many great points. Everyone listen up, this guy knows what he's talking about.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SteinbergerHack View Post
Bogner XTC - put it in 1/2 power, triode, class A mode. That's about 7W with nearly any gain level you want.
was unaware you could do that with that amp...in which case, I second this suggestion.

I believe the mark v can go down to 10 watts with the switches on it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by thenakedarab View Post
I've got a Fender Champion 600 I use for most of my low volume playing, and it takes my various dirt boxes and my Digitech RP200 like a champ.

The internal speaker is not that hot, but it sounds pretty tits plugged into my Earcandy 1x12.
+1.

I record with a modded Champ and a Line 6 cab with Digitech 150, and it sounds amazing.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Kardula View Post
was unaware you could do that with that amp...in which case, I second this suggestion.

I believe the mark v can go down to 10 watts with the switches on it.
The 101b with all the options can do it. I like the flexibility; in reality, though, it has less to do with volume than about getting some compression/overdrive out of the power section.

• Members

I would also add that a little common sense and courtesy go a long way. As an apartment dweller, I limit my amp playing to afternoons and early evenings. The later it gets, the more I turn down but realistically even a 1 watt amp is goinng to be loud and annoying. I never play my amp past 8pm. For night playing or for long recording sessions, I use a POD with headphones.

No neighbor wants to hear a {censored}ing guitar, but I have no problem playing my amp on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon as long as the volume is within reason.

There is also the option of getting a rehearsal space.

• Members

High gain i think jet city so they make a pico valve 1 watt head
I may look utube it for myself.
Tube amp tone is best during some power tube breakup,my rebel 30 is way too loud even using a weber mass lite !
1 watt is trumpet loud !

• Members

The ht5 blackstar with headphones could be awesome as well.
I suggest headphones because i use and improve nightly with no complaints !
I also suggest big drivers like the grado 90 headphones i use, the beyerdynamic 880 pro dont reproduce like the grado phones.
The pro 880 are exceptional on most other areas however.

I like your demanding tube sound, theres a big difference in the sound warmth verses crispy cold brittle solid state as i found out.
Lets face it, tube emulation cant pass for the real thing.

Archived