played the new DSL at GC today.

guitarbilly74

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

It sounded like the old DSL idn_smilie.gif What exactly are people bitching about with this amp? Is the "Made in Vietnam" tag affecting their hearing? Or is it just good old cork-sniffery?

It's pretty much the same {censored}ing amp as the old one...

I like someone like you saying this Billy.

• Members

View Post

It sounded like the old DSL idn_smilie.gif What exactly are people bitching about with this amp? Is the "Made in Vietnam" tag affecting their hearing? Or is it just good old cork-sniffery?

Thanks for this Billy I thought it would be the case.

Its because its made in Vietnam, But as a British person I feel the same if it was made in Britain or Vietnam idn_smilie.gif

• Members

I dont what model you played Billy

but i played the combo and it had more gain and beez in the tone than the older DSL. Now to be 100% honest, i didnt really turn the knobs/EQ the amp alot (I played it for literally a minute or so) but my 1st impression was more gain and beeeez and not really loving the basic tone.

I played at Sam Ash and maybe i have to go and play it again, (to be fair) but i think i wasnt overly impressed when i 1st played the combo

idn_smilie.gif

• Members

I played the 100w head through a 1960 Vintage, I was in the amp room so I got a chance to turn it up quite a bit and use my old DSL settings. Sounded like my old amps.

Can't comment on the combo, because I didn't like the old one to begin with so I didn't want to try the new one either icon_lol.gif

• Members

I had the 40C for about 2 weeks before sending it back. It does sound better than the older 401 combo but I have no idea how it sounds compared to the heads.

I thought it was kind of buzzy but some told me that's how DSLs sound. The main reason I sent it back is that I have to play at lower volumes and it just didn't work for that. It did sound pretty good pushed but I don't think the neighbors agreed. biggrin.gif

• Members

View Post

Maybe you forgot how good your old one sounded compared to the new one. poke.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin Rules

View Post

In fairness, the DSL combos have never sounded good. Trust me, I've got one.

I wouldn't judge the series by them.

I haven't played any of the new ones yet

yeah the DSL combos were always horrible IMHO, that's why I didn't even bother trying the new ones.

The head sounds exactly the same though. Maybe a bit harsher at low volumes, but once I got the volume at around 4, it's the same {censored}ing thing. I am also willing to bet the low volume harshness is due to pre amp tubes. I had Mullards and =C=s on my old DSL so obviously that makes a difference. But still it's pretty much the same basic tone. Maybe with the tube upgrade the new one could sound even better. The resonance control is awesome. When it's fully cranked it sounds just like the old Deep control, but now you have the option to dial it back a bit and get it to where it's just the right amount of thump. It's a really cool amp.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Science!

View Post

I bet you could take two vietnam made DSLs, mark one "made in England"..........and 4 out of 5 people would tell you the english one sounds better.

You'd also have to put a sheet over it so the ugly new font didn't give it away.

• Members

View Post

The head sounds exactly the same though. Maybe a bit harsher at low volumes, but once I got the volume at around 4, it's the same {censored}ing thing.

This is probably why people are saying that it sucks. 100w full stack, bringing the sack-smashing rock to all the stuffed animals on their bed. They're probably not turning the goddamn thing up because their vaginas are crying tears of longing for Nicki Minaj and Justin Bieber.

It's a tube amp. Turn it up.

• Members

So aside from used market price differences... do you think the Resonance control make the new one a "better amp" or better deal..?

Aside from used market prices.. yes, I do. The resonance control is great, the new digital reverb actually sounds better than the old one and the pentode/triode mode is really cool.

Right now, you can get used DSLs for like $500 so buying the old one used is still a better deal but as soon as the new ones start to hit the used market, I'd get the new one over the old one any day. I really don't care about the "made in xxxxxx" these days.

• Members

So basically they did nothing to correct the real problems like the inbalance between the two channels (green being bass heavy whereas red is thinner) or the fact that you have to turn them pretty damn loud for them to sound good.

I had no idea Marshall had started making amps in 'Nam. When did this happen? Do they still make some models in the UK?

Archived