Played on a Marshall DSL15...

sahlomonic

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Neilrocks25 View Post
Well looking at so gut shots I found on the Marshall forum, its less ribbon cable, the same amount of chips apart from the digital reverb

DSL-G1e.jpg

The EL34's are chassis mounted, not on the circuit board so it may actually be better.
Sound wise I am with Billy

Also the QC is done by Marshall UK

PWNT. redface.gif

• Members
Well looking at so gut shots I found on the Marshall forum, its less ribbon cable, the same amount of chips apart from the digital reverb

DSL-G1e.jpg

The EL34's are chassis mounted, not on the circuit board so it may actually be better.

Is that just a reverb board? It looks exactly like the ones they had in the MG wFX units.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by marshallnoise View Post
Some guy asked where they were made and when he found out and openly said he would pass, the PC crowd went to work and called him a racist.
I was just jivving with the guy!eek.gif

Quote Originally Posted by HKSblade1 View Post
Is that just a reverb board? It looks exactly like the ones they had in the MG wFX units.
Which bit? That picture looks like it's the whole circuit. The digital reverb will be being dealt with by the little group of black squares under the blue ribbon cable towards the bottom right of the picture.

• Members

DSL-G1e.jpg

Doe

I don't think it looks that bad at all. A guy on the craigslist wants $800 for his old one claiming a new one is $1500. What a tool...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by timmyfirst View Post
Not the same amp, i've seen them both opened up and theres a lot of differences! There seems to be a lot more ribbon cable and chip looking things inside of the newer one, along with the digital reverb. Chassis mounted tube sockets are a design improvement for sure, but the actual pcb's are thinner. To me the new DSL sounds like an amp voiced to sound like an old DSL. I can make the old DSL sound identical to the new one by dialling it in badly, but the new one just doesnt have the feel or sound of the old one. Some people may prefer it, it does seem to generate a bit more low end, but the DSL 50 i had sitting next to it buried it when running them together.
I'm sure it'll be a huge success, the JVM was and i think that tripe too!
You're an idiot facepalm.gif

Seen them both opened up huh?

Yeah...sure you have...That much is obvious freak.gif

Next you're going to tell us you took a multimeter to every component and verified that every value of component is different too, right? I mean, that would be the only explanation for it sounding as terrible as you say...

Yup...idiot...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74 View Post
build quality of the original one.... less ribbon cables? LOL

Inside_Head_1.jpg

it's not any better. Actually, it's a lot worse, they seem to hold up well though. But the new amp is definitely a cleaner build.
I can't remember mine being that messy, but I do miss it.
I will be getting another one, but I will find a way to mod it so the classic clean and gain are foot switchable. I just use the green channel.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy

View Post

That actually does sound pretty rad.

It makes sense to me. I think most of the people that buy 5150s are bedroom players anyway. I dont need a 95 fucking pound 212 combo or a 65 pound 112 at 60 watts for jamming in my house.

• Members
I can't remember mine being that messy, but I do miss it.
I will be getting another one, but I will find a way to mod it so the classic clean and gain are foot switchable. I just use the green channel.
Mine was that messy. I had plenty of opportunity staring at my boards, cables, etc. when I installed a power choke. Those damn cables made it really fun to work on... I took pictures of where they connected and labeled each one with masking tape and color coded them to their connector so that they went back to the right spots.

If that picture of the new one is really that clean, damn, that would have been a lot easier to work with! Also, it looks like they have significantly reduced the amount of PCB in the newer build... Really makes me wonder how close these two amps really are.

Cole

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by colejustesen View Post
Mine was that messy. I had plenty of opportunity staring at my boards, cables, etc. when I installed a power choke. Those damn cables made it really fun to work on... I took pictures of where they connected and labeled each one with masking tape and color coded them to their connector so that they went back to the right spots.

If that picture of the new one is really that clean, damn, that would have been a lot easier to work with! Also, it looks like they have significantly reduced the amount of PCB in the newer build... Really makes me wonder how close these two amps really are.

Cole
Apparently it's the same just cleaned up, with out comparing it's hard to say. I am sure it is though.

Archived