Played on a Marshall DSL15...

sahlomonic

• Members

... and I like it Totally_jammin_out.gif

Basic 2 channel setup. Green is clean and Red is shred lol. Only options on the chassis are the deep and tone switches for the Red channel. Green channel is just like a clean with a little breakup if you dime the gain. I wish the normal channel on my JCA was like this.

I played it through a new Marshall straight cab with 75s, and switched between a used ESP Lynch skull n snakes and a new purple Sterling AX40.

Red channel has some serious mojo. For the Lynch type stuff I only needed the gain at 2, and the volume at 1.5 was as loud as my stage volume. It hits that sweet spot early, and gets better the more its pushed on the volume. Palm mutes were thunderous and very clear when picking individual notes. Push the gain much past that and it gets muddy quick and seems to have this clipping thing going on which I thought was weird. Much like overloading speakers but that's pretty impossible considering a 15w head going into a 300w cab. I also had to check the speaker cable because they originally put 16 ohms into the 4 ohm jack on the cab facepalm.gif

Couldn't really get a scooped type tone out of it but didn't matter. What that thing is built for it does VERY well. Wonder how this would stack up against a Friedman BE modded JCA20H? idn_smilie.gif

Not sure what tubes are in it, but this thing screams Marshall crunch all the way. I'd love to run this through V30s or Greenbacks...

$500 new? Sign me up. Done.

Dare I say this sounds better than my JCA100H? Today for sure, but I need a re tube before making judgment .

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Rockhardo View Post
I tried it a couple of weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised.
You have to be careful with the red channel since it has almost
Too much gain.
Yeah it's very unusable, but if you set it to a typical "low gain" setting you'd do on most other amps, its fairly high gain. Gain knob over-saturates quick, but I bet someone will have a mod out that will tame the gain levels and make it more usable.

It's set up similar to the original head but sort of stripped down; no OD1 or OD2, and no crunch on the green channel. The new DSL100H is laid out nearly identical to the JCM2000 DSL, but instead of a deep switch there's a resonance control knob.

For comparison's sake:

marshall-dsl15h-15-watt-amp-head-large.j

dsl100h-head-front.jpg

marshall-dsl100h.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by marshallnoise View Post
You know its made in Vietnam, right?
Better? Worse? Actually, the quality of the UK produced Marshall products have been less then stellar in recent years (since late 80's early 90's) anyway due to cheaper parts. Vietnamese produced Marshall items couldn't be much worse. I assume its the same cheap parts, just someone else assembling them.

I have one of these new Vietnamese DSL's in my sights. Haven't decided on which one yet.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cap'n'crunch View Post
Better? Worse? Actually, the quality of the UK produced Marshall products have been less then stellar in recent years (since late 80's early 90's) anyway due to cheaper parts. Vietnamese produced Marshall items couldn't be much worse. I assume its the same cheap parts, just someone else assembling them.

I have one of these new Vietnamese DSL's in my sights. Haven't decided on which one yet.
I was just being a dick cause there was another thread that went around. Some guy asked where they were made and when he found out and openly said he would pass, the PC crowd went to work and called him a racist.

• Members

The little DSL15 is alright for low level stuff, i thought it was maybe a bit over gainy and bright, but the volume is nicely controllable for lower volume stuff.

The new DSL100 is awful, i spent about an hour with one on sunday and it just doesnt have the quality of tone of the older DSL's. The other guitarist in my band plays a DSL50 and i've owned 4 of them (i think!) and they're great amps, but this new version the gain seems spongier and the attack of the notes feels a lot different. For me its like they've taken the "band" voicing out it and just put in "i play on my own in my shed".

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfirst

View Post

The new DSL100 is awful, i spent about an hour with one on sunday and it just doesnt have the quality of tone of the older DSL's. The other guitarist in my band plays a DSL50 and i've owned 4 of them (i think!) and they're great amps, but this new version the gain seems spongier and the attack of the notes feels a lot different. For me its like they've taken the "band" voicing out it and just put in "i play on my own in my shed".

Are you sure it wasn't set to triode mode when you tried it? Because it comes set up that way from the factory and sounds exactly like you described in that mode. In pentode mode, I did not hear any major differences from the old DSL, or none at all tbh. Same fucking amp.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

Are you sure it wasn't set to triode mode when you tried it? Because it comes set up that way from the factory and sounds exactly like you described in that mode. In pentode mode, I did not hear any major differences from the old DSL, or none at all tbh. Same fucking amp.

Classic newb mistake. cop.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74 View Post
Not the same amp, i've seen them both opened up and theres a lot of differences! There seems to be a lot more ribbon cable and chip looking things inside of the newer one, along with the digital reverb. Chassis mounted tube sockets are a design improvement for sure, but the actual pcb's are thinner. To me the new DSL sounds like an amp voiced to sound like an old DSL. I can make the old DSL sound identical to the new one by dialling it in badly, but the new one just doesnt have the feel or sound of the old one. Some people may prefer it, it does seem to generate a bit more low end, but the DSL 50 i had sitting next to it buried it when running them together.
I'm sure it'll be a huge success, the JVM was and i think that tripe too!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by timmyfirst View Post
Not the same amp, i've seen them both opened up and theres a lot of differences! There seems to be a lot more ribbon cable and chip looking things inside of the newer one, along with the digital reverb. Chassis mounted tube sockets are a design improvement for sure, but the actual pcb's are thinner. To me the new DSL sounds like an amp voiced to sound like an old DSL. I can make the old DSL sound identical to the new one by dialling it in badly, but the new one just doesnt have the feel or sound of the old one. Some people may prefer it, it does seem to generate a bit more low end, but the DSL 50 i had sitting next to it buried it when running them together.
I'm sure it'll be a huge success, the JVM was and i think that tripe too!

Well looking at so gut shots I found on the Marshall forum, its less ribbon cable, the same amount of chips apart from the digital reverb

DSL-G1e.jpg

The EL34's are chassis mounted, not on the circuit board so it may actually be better.
Sound wise I am with Billy

Also the QC is done by Marshall UK

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Neilrocks25 View Post
Well looking at so gut shots I found on the Marshall forum, its less ribbon cable, the same amount of chips apart from the digital reverb

DSL-G1e.jpg

The EL34's are chassis mounted, not on the circuit board so it may actually be better.
Sound wise I am with Billy

Also the QC is done by Marshall UK
Yep, it's actually a cleaner design than the previous one. The digital reverb sounds great btw, I prefer it over the previous spring design by a mile.

Archived