Something that annoys me (band auditions)

-Assy-

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by -Assy-

View Post

in DC area that isn't really well-paying. bars drop hundreds of dollars on people to just show up and make noise it seems. I've heard some god-awful {censored} at these bars, people just get so drunk they don't realize it.

there's the problem. SO many awful bands in DCish. lord could i tell you a few stories... auditioned drummers for 3 years. none of them could play outside 4/4. facepalm.gif

i actually had a guy send back a 'corrected' mp3 to a song that alternated from 5 and 7-- he played a straight 4/4 beat over the top, and said that he thought it'd help if we could play the parts correctly... facepalm.gif

seriously..

• Members

it really is amazing how bad some cover bands are i have seen. i blame the bar owners, they are the jerks who are actually hiring these bands to play making them think they are actually good. i would be pulling the plug the first song on some of the bands ive seen if i was a bar owner, i would make way less if i kept letting them play cause everyone would leave

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by newholland

View Post

there's the problem. SO many awful bands in DCish. lord could i tell you a few stories... auditioned drummers for 3 years. none of them could play outside 4/4. facepalm.gif

i actually had a guy send back a 'corrected' mp3 to a song that alternated from 5 and 7-- he played a straight 4/4 beat over the top, and said that he thought it'd help if we could play the parts correctly... facepalm.gif

seriously..

Wow.....facepalm.gif

• Members

I've taken up drums in the past year and the 2 things I do not get about drummers:

"I don't like the click track it's un natural"

Really? I {censored}ing can't play without one. icon_lol.gif

"I'm comfortable with my skill level so I leave my kit at the practice space and do not practice outside of practice."

Really? How is that working out for you? icon_lol.gif

• Members

Finding bands is tough. I'm lucky enough that I play in two really good rock bands, so any other bands I play with don't need to be so serious.

When I do hook up with bands, first I'll ask that they send me a set list and a recording of them playing. That tells me a lot. If I like what I hear, then I'll meet up with them for beers. We'll chat about the band; what they've done, what they're doing, and their plans for the future. If I can have a good time with the guys just hanging out and having beers, then I'll be a lot more interested in playing with them. I need to know that I can put up with the guys on a personal level before I even pick up an instrument. If I don't like what I hear about the band, or if I just don't like them in general, I'll let them know that I'm not really interested and thank them for their time.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nerol1st

View Post

icon_lol.gif

Although back when I was looking (I just hooked up doing some stuff with my brother) I ran into this {censored} ALL THE TIME:

Screenshot2012-12-08at104303PM.png

So you are an instrumental band? Can I show up with any old piece of {censored} drumset? Can I snort coke off your mom's ass?

Screenshot2012-12-08at104253PM.png

Hey a little better, but are you gigging? Can expect any reimbursement? Any youtube clips? Again do I need to be drug free or can I snort coke off your mom's ass?

Screenshot2012-12-08at104243PM.png

Look smuck, pick a genre. I don't want to be in a punk/hardcore/metal/old rock/grunge band. That's {censored}ing whack. While we are at it, how old are you because I'm not jumping into a band with a bunch of teens so how about the age of the guy your looking to bag. Also, where the hell is your recordings?

Screenshot2012-12-08at104232PM.png

{censored} YOUR MANAGER. I was redirected to the manager of a local band looking for both a guitar player and a drummer, the guy was epically bad at communication. The flying {censored} did you get a manager that can't manage his own {censored}ing voicemails.

Screenshot2012-12-08at104200PM.png

Again idiot, lets pick a genre and go with it. I hate Country, but might entertain rock so how about it?

To be honest I've never seen the point in the whole "NO ADDICTS. NO TIMEWASTERS" type disclaimers bands put in their ads to deter assholes. Assholes dont know that they're assholes.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by telephant

View Post

I once tried out this amazing drummer, he was somewhere between 19-21... And he brought his {censored}ing Dad to the try out. Well, his Dad drove him, but then he was like, "My Dad's gonna stay and watch." eek.gif

icon_lol.gif that's awesome. i hope he didn't videotape it... biggrin.gif

• Members

well this is topical for me. the drummer in my new band is/was a friend of mine. not the best drummer ever but what the heck, he is my friend and so we tried to make it work. he was also renting a room from me.

the dude moves out, still owes me money and obviously has a pill problem now. sooooooooo

"looking for a new drummer" (again)

• Members

" (again)

This is a big part of why I'm not doing anything. I cant find a drummer who :

Doesnt want to be Vinne Paul or Dave Lombardo

Doesnt want to play punk

Wants to play something other than death metal

Who can just play basic drum beats

isnt a hipster douchebag

is over the age of 21

Would rather play drums, than play video games , watch movies

Doesnt get tired after 3 songs

doesnt have the constant need to bang the hell out of cymbals constantly.

Doesnt have to always try to throw in weird / complicated fills in everything

I could go on & on & on lol.

• Members

Doesnt want to play punk

isnt a hipster douchebag

is over the age of 21

dude it is true and very frusterating.

i dont need amazing skills. i just want reliability, responsibility and the ability to keep time and just hit the freaking changes. drummers i meet have 1 of those 4.

• Moderators
Have had so many stupid auditions and get togethers over the years its ridiculous.

Last one was kinda funny. Dude replies to ad "Punk band looking for drummer."

When he gets there we talk to him for a minute "yeah I don't really like punk, I'm more of a metal guy."
:facepalm:

We jammed with him anyway since we already had the room but wtf.
:freak:

I've probably told this story but I remember in one of my early bands, we were looking for a singer. A guy responds to the PRINT ad (thats how long ago it was) and says he was a singer. The bass player and I both call off work to audition him. he shows up, we hand him a mic and he says, I swear to God "I don't really sing, my friends just dared me to do this..." We both grabbed him and threw him, and all of his {censored}, out in the mud.

• Members

Doesnt want to play punk

isnt a hipster douchebag

is over the age of 21

It's not just drummers. I could rewrite your whole post from the point of a good drummer looking for a good guitarist.

As a drummer I could pass all of those tests. Most drummers are derptarded apes with sticks.

• Members

last drummer I played with was the only one who could keep time :( sadly he had other things he'd rather do than play (video games, beer etc etc).

'Round here I've found that those who use the "click tracks aren't natural" excuse are lazy and have poor timing. Like me, I'd much rather practice to a drum beat than a click track but it's hard when neither you nor the drummer are in time.

One that started to bug be about band ads "Professional equipment" means a line 6 half stack and a busted PA. It seems that those young enough to get away with showing they're serious by saying "professional equipment" usually don't have such, and those old enough to have such come across as douches when they say it.

• Members

yeah bad drummers are frustrating as hell - especially if it's a timing issue. The thing about guys with bad timing is they rarely ever gain good timing. Simple parts become difficult. Nothing flows easily. I'm aware timing can be worked on, but i think you need some level of internal metronome or natural timing as a foundation. Some folks just will never have it.

So run, lest you end up frustrated after every practice - been there.

Archived