Something that annoys me (band auditions)

-Assy-

• Members

Meet someone out at a bar, work, etc. They have a band, play 3-4x a month, pull in $100+ a person per night (this would almost pay my rent), they need a guitarist, awesome.

I go over to audition, I have their covers ready to go, we start playing, the band is absolute {censored}. It all starts with the off-beat drummer. I sit there and wonder in amazement how the rest of the band doesn't acknowledge this issue. Do you even have a metronome bro? Or are all of you so drunk all of the time that you no longer remember what consistency is? Stop hitting the bass pedal so much, this is a Lynyrd Skynyrd song, not Lamb of God, and you're off by a few milliseconds.

The singer... too easy. Your PA might as well be a megaphone, and you can't sing anyways.

I have lost count of the amount of times I have had to guise myself in politeness and tell them I am really not interested, despite them praising me and saying I made the "cut".

Really not trying to sound like an elitist ass here or anything, but jesus christ facepalm.gif

• Members

{censored}ty drummers ruin everything. I jammed with some guys a while back. We were trying to find some easy stuff to rock out. I suggested Night Prowler by ACDC. Super easy and fun. The drummer grabs his copy of Highway to Hell, pops it in and proceeds to just butcher what is a very easy blues shuffle. I knew right then it was't going to work.

Then they wanted to jam Kings of Leon.

I'd rather watch paint dry while sirens wail.

Oh, I do play drums and can certainly hold it down. So this guy was making my internal metronome flip out.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by -Assy-

View Post

Meet someone out at a bar, work, etc. They have a band, play 3-4x a month, pull in $100+ a person per night (this would almost pay my rent), they need a guitarist, awesome.

I go over to audition, I have their covers ready to go, we start playing, the band is absolute {censored}. It all starts with the off-beat drummer. I sit there and wonder in amazement how the rest of the band doesn't acknowledge this issue. Do you even have a metronome bro? Or are all of you so drunk all of the time that you no longer remember what consistency is? Stop hitting the bass pedal so much, this is a Lynyrd Skynyrd song, not Lamb of God, and you're off by a few milliseconds.

The singer... too easy. Your PA might as well be a megaphone, and you can't sing anyways.

I have lost count of the amount of times I have had to guise myself in politeness and tell them I am really not interested, despite them praising me and saying I made the "cut".

Really not trying to sound like an elitist ass here or anything, but jesus christ facepalm.gif

Dude, you made the cut, how come you never called us back?

• Members

Have had so many stupid auditions and get togethers over the years its ridiculous.

Last one was kinda funny. Dude replies to ad "Punk band looking for drummer."

When he gets there we talk to him for a minute "yeah I don't really like punk, I'm more of a metal guy." facepalm.gif

We jammed with him anyway since we already had the room but wtf. freak.gif

• Members

After similar issues I have found the best course of action (especially if you are really confident in your ability) is to go sit in at a practice first and see if its something you would be interested in. It may come off as kind of dickish but honestly you will know in the first 5 mins and will save you the effort of hauling gear and learning their songs for something that wont work anyways.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by telephant

View Post

I won't audition for or audition somebody else without hearing a recording first. Don't have a recording? Then you're not worth my time.

basically what I am thinking, but around here nobody gets professionally recorded if they are just playing covers unless they are in the wedding gigs. I just want to make a few bucks and hit on some bitches. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

View Post

basically what I am thinking, but around here nobody gets professionally recorded if they are just playing covers unless they are in the wedding gigs. I just want to make a few bucks and hit on some bitches. idn_smilie.gif

I heard that. icon_lol.gif

It doesn't have to be professionally recorded. I just want to hear if you can actually keep time and groove. I have to ask though, if these guys don't even have a rough demo how are they getting well paying gigs?

• Members

View Post

It doesn't have to be professionally recorded. I just want to hear if you can actually keep time and groove. I have to ask though, if these guys don't even have a rough demo how are they getting well paying gigs?

in DC area that isn't really well-paying. bars drop hundreds of dollars on people to just show up and make noise it seems. I've heard some god-awful {censored} at these bars, people just get so drunk they don't realize it.

• Members

View Post

Yeah if you don't have *anything* you can let me hear to get an idea it's very likely gonna be a waste of time.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guidedbyechoes

View Post

In this day and age all you need is a digital camera and an internet connection to know if the person/band you are auditioning is worth the time or not

QFT. Even the worst of the worst cover bands around here have posted youtube clips.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieslayer

View Post

What about the times you audition drummers who said they were going to learn the song beforehand and arrive to the audition not having done so.... When you finally get them to learn the arrangement they still fall in and out of time.facepalm.gif

I HATE this, drummers are the worst about doing it to, If you cant show up having learned your {censored}, GTFO.

• Members

View Post

Stop hitting the bass pedal so much, this is a Lynyrd Skynyrd song, not Lamb of God.....

facepalm.gif

Skynard and LOG do have common-ground...as in someones gonna die.

FWIW always take take a pocket recorder to practices and then play it back for the offenders.

• Members

View Post

Welcome to trying to find a band when you don't suck. No I don't think you were being to harsh in your assessment. I have had to do this numerous times. Funny how musicians always seem to "make the cut."

No I will not help you suck less icon_lol.gif

• Members

icon_lol.gif

Although back when I was looking (I just hooked up doing some stuff with my brother) I ran into this {censored} ALL THE TIME:

Screenshot2012-12-08at104303PM.png

So you are an instrumental band? Can I show up with any old piece of {censored} drumset? Can I snort coke off your mom's ass?

Screenshot2012-12-08at104253PM.png

Hey a little better, but are you gigging? Can expect any reimbursement? Any youtube clips? Again do I need to be drug free or can I snort coke off your mom's ass?

Screenshot2012-12-08at104243PM.png

Look smuck, pick a genre. I don't want to be in a punk/hardcore/metal/old rock/grunge band. That's {censored}ing whack. While we are at it, how old are you because I'm not jumping into a band with a bunch of teens so how about the age of the guy your looking to bag. Also, where the hell is your recordings?

Screenshot2012-12-08at104232PM.png

{censored} YOUR MANAGER. I was redirected to the manager of a local band looking for both a guitar player and a drummer, the guy was epically bad at communication. The flying {censored} did you get a manager that can't manage his own {censored}ing voicemails.

Screenshot2012-12-08at104200PM.png

Again idiot, lets pick a genre and go with it. I hate Country, but might entertain rock so how about it?

• Members

View Post

I won't audition for or audition somebody else without hearing a recording first. Don't have a recording? Then you're not worth my time.

Video is better. After my first mismatch audition I made a little video of my playing...surprise surprise the band that called had some video of them playing live......answers a ton of questions. Everyone should do this.

That said, a band should have a set list, the songs on a CD in the key played and some tabs for the new guy to play with at home....

I've spent a week at home looking up songs, transposing and all that...what bull{censored}...especially when you show up and it's like 'yeah we don't play it like that'..

Brings up another subject of lousy tabs written by guys who like to come up with the most difficult fingering when an easier choice is obvious.......I'm convinced it's meant to throw us off course.

• Members

I had my first drums "audition" yesterday. I've been playing with a young punk band for a year or so now and kinda ready for some metal stuff, really what I want to do. I've always made a point of learning to a click which is probably the hardest goddamned thing to do ever!

I got a copy of this new band's stuff which is all EZDrummer... as in, everything double-kick, everything 900bpm. I got just the straight guitar tracks and learned/wrote the drum lines.

Anyway, turned up to rehersal and it pretty much all went wrong from the count in. The first track started off with just a straight 4/4 beat with a build up to a nice syncopated section. The guitarist seemed to not actually keep time whatsoever and I would be surprised if the bassist paid more than

• Members

View Post

Same, especially if its an original band.

I'm of the opinion that if you are serious about what you're doing, you should be recording yourself to improve anyway. I mean how the {censored} are you writing songs without ANY scratch demos? Its 2012, a freaking iphone recording will do.

Archived