Advice on a good DAW

cacheek

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven

View Post

I'm one of the few guys here that dislike Reaper. I'm curious how many of the Reaper lovers have owned a higher priced DAW though. I can't imagine someone trying Studio One and even giving Reaper a second thought. It's lightyears ahead.

So that's my pick. Studio One. You can download a demo.

What do you dislike about it?

MIDI, VSTs?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've tried other DAWs, and I still like reaper. i just like it because it doesn't assume anything about workflow-- so it's pretty much open to configuration of the user, and it being light on resources, it's nice to not tie up the processor with a lot of 'overhead' processes besides VSTs. an active user community is super helpful, and bugs get worked out fast-- which is not, apparently, what you always get from some of the larger daws.

all told though-- it's a ridiculously inexpensive option- and it's main flaw is that it's not super easy to LEARN without really putting the work in. but if you have the time-- it's not counterintuitive or super tweaky.. but it is a steep learning curve. any DAW kinda is though, in that what you put in is what you pull back out.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bumhucker

View Post

What do you dislike about it?

MIDI, VSTs?

Three things that really stuck out to me:

1. I felt that the interface is very "rough" feeling in places. It isn't what I would call an inspiring environment, and often just feels clunky and dated. It wreaks of a UI that was designed by a programmer. I'm a freak about excellent user interface. This may bother me more than some people.

2. The included plugins are terrible IMO. Go use Studio One's included plugins and you'll see what I mean - they're glorious, and they sound REALLY good. I shouldn't have to go out and buy plugins for simple things like EQ, compression and limiting after purchasing a DAW.

3. MIDI editing was a chore.

I think with Reaper it's a good deal for the money, but there are just far better options out there. If it's going to be the main environment in which you create your art, spend a little more coin and get something better. That's just my take on it. Either way, I would recommend that anyone who is interested in a DAW just go download the free Studio One demo and give it a spin for at least a week. It's very intuitive and you'll pick it up quickly.

• Members

View Post

1. I felt that the interface is very "rough" feeling in places. It isn't what I would call an inspiring environment, and often just feels clunky and dated. It wreaks of a UI that was designed by a programmer. I'm a freak about excellent user interface. This may bother me more than some people.

2. The included plugins are terrible IMO. Go use Studio One's included plugins and you'll see what I mean - they're glorious, and they sound REALLY good. I shouldn't have to go out and buy plugins for simple things like EQ, compression and limiting after purchasing a DAW.

I think with Reaper it's a good deal for the money, but there are just far better options out there. If it's going to be the main environment in which you create your art, spend a little more coin and get something better. That's just my take on it. Either way, I would recommend that anyone who is interested in a DAW just go download the free Studio One demo and give it a spin for at least a week. It's very intuitive and you'll pick it up quickly.

1)I'll give you that the interface is what it is-- fully utilitarian. but you can absolutely change it.. it's work to DO, but it's nicely mutable.

2)the plugins aren't ALL terrible.. there's quite a few decent.. but again.. fully utilitarian. i use almost none of the resident ones-- and there's SO MANY free ones with really sexy interfaces. but i'm down with the stillwell stuff.

and three) midi. that i can't say-- i don't use it for that.

y'know-- for me, being an old tape and board sort-- it's really no hassle. i know there's more elegant stuff, for sure, and i don't disagree with your points at all. i guess it's like anything-- just depends on what you need and how much you put in. i still talk to buddies of mine using garage band, and i have NO idea how the {censored} they work with that. it's graceful.. but it doesn't do DICK if you're used to a board and any level of adjustability.

YMMV, fo sho- for better or worse- reaper's just a lotta up front learning. but once you got that down... damn, where you can go WITH that knowledge is outrageous.

• Members

View Post

I agree, pretty much..

I thought reaper was somewhat rough, and I just felt overwhelmed. I recorded a couple tracks but I really did not enjoy the program. I suppose it isn't a bad option for the price, and clearly there are a lot of people that like it.

I really want to try studio one, i've heard great things.

• Members

Had just about every DAW in our studio at one point or another.

Cubase is nice for MIDI, but so bloated it's ridiculous.

ProTools is awesome for editing, but the proprietary equipment and plugin types was irritating and unnecessary. (I realize they no longer require proprietary stuff.)

Sonar was okay. Just okay.

Logic was good.

We settled on Reaper. Stupidly light on its feet, way more stable then Cubase or ProTools, editing is super easy, MIDI is super easy, the included plugins are pretty solid, and once you fool around with it, the layout is easy to navigate. Not only that, but there is so many layouts available to download it's insane.

I hear lots of flak about the MIDI section, and don't understand it. Takes me 10 seconds to set up.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cacheek

View Post

I was debating picking up Sonar Producer x2 but for 500 dollars, I'm thinking that's a no. I've read the Reaper is a great alternative, but I want to hear what you guys think. Should I go with Reaper and get some type of drum program with it (thinking EZdrummer is the way to go), or save from Cakewalk or Cubase or something?

Sonar X2 comes with a ton of VST and VSTi's. Session Drummer is very good (as good as EZD), Dimension Pro , Rapture, True Pianos, Studio Instruments, are also now added to the kit and easily compete with many of Kontact performer options..

Pro Channel is amazing, and there are plenty of channel tools, and mastering tool plugins. Screensets (customizable workflow templates) create the most simplified workflow experience ever imo. I've used just about every daw, and since X1 PE with the Pro Channel, nothing has come close. I am and always have been a huge Pro Tools fanboy. It didn't take much to see that Sonar X1 (X2) 64 bit Producer was going to be the perfect production tool kit I had ever used.

• Members

I tried out Cubase 7 a few days ago at my local Digital Village. The guy was even nice enough to let me bring in one of my own project.

So far, I really like it over Cubase 6 which I'm using now. Half the stuff the guy showed me I didn't even know existed. Certainly solidified my resolve to stick to Cubase. But then I have been using it since the Atari days.

• Members

View Post

I'm one of the few guys here that dislike Reaper. I'm curious how many of the Reaper lovers have owned a higher priced DAW though. I can't imagine someone trying Studio One and even giving Reaper a second thought. It's lightyears ahead.

So that's my pick. Studio One. You can download a demo.

I disliked reaper initially, used sonar and pro tools a lot. I have no problem with reaper now, in fact I think I like it as much.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by HKSblade1

View Post

Sonar X2 comes with a ton of VST and VSTi's. Session Drummer is very good (as good as EZD), Dimension Pro , Rapture, True Pianos, Studio Instruments, are also now added to the kit and easily compete with many of Kontact performer options..

Pro Channel is amazing, and there are plenty of channel tools, and mastering tool plugins. Screensets (customizable workflow templates) create the most simplified workflow experience ever imo. I've used just about every daw, and since X1 PE with the Pro Channel, nothing has come close. I am and always have been a huge Pro Tools fanboy. It didn't take much to see that Sonar X1 (X2) 64 bit Producer was going to be the perfect production tool kit I had ever used.

Do you know why the SSD4 GUI doesn't pop up in Sonar for me ive tried 2 different versions of Sonar. It's there I know it is but the GUI screen with the kit and where you customize all your drum stuff never opens.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LoopQuantum

View Post

Ableton.

Ableton.

Ableton.

You know I'm an Ableton lover. I'm getting Live 9 and the Push when it comes out. I use Ableton more than anything, but that's because I'm doing a lot of synth-based stuff right now. I still think Studio One is the best normal DAW, but Ableton is the best for anything electronic. No other program is nearly as inspiring.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cavemanic

View Post

I've used cubase for years.....I tried reaper with a friend once and it seemed really painfull with midi editing ......but you tend to get used to one thing after awhile....

hell if I don't use cubase for a while I forget things cop.gif

MIDI Sucked on Reaper a few years ago. I tried it, and did not like it at all. Went back to my 2001 Cubase.

I gave Reaper another shot this year, and that portion of the program was SIGNIFICANTLY improved.

• Members

If you have a mac go Logic Pro 9, it's stable as hell, has all the best features you are going to want in a full featured DAW and you shouldn't grow out of it like you would on some of the DAW's with less features. Tons of guides online as well, it looks a little intimidating but it's really quite simple.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LoopQuantum

View Post

Ableton.

Ableton.

Ableton.

Editing is easy. Clip view ROCKS for making arrangements. Pitch and Time adjustments sound fantastic, and the included plugins sound killer.

a quick vid of me messing around in Ableton (it supports video tracks too!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGE1TR8Rn_A

While I will admit judging a program based on a limited demo or lite version isn't fair, this program was hands down the most backwards workflow for me. I hated the GUI as well. icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wok

View Post

Logic or ProTools snacks.gif

Quote Originally Posted by jonPhillips

View Post

Logic 9

Quote Originally Posted by MyEmergency

View Post

If you have a mac go Logic Pro 9, it's stable as hell, has all the best features you are going to want in a full featured DAW and you shouldn't grow out of it like you would on some of the DAW's with less features. Tons of guides online as well, it looks a little intimidating but it's really quite simple.

Correct, it's worth it just the space designer convolution verb and the waves mastering plugs. Not to mention if you have a apple how silky smooth the control is.

Archived