Advice on a good DAW

cacheek

• Members

I was debating picking up Sonar Producer x2 but for 500 dollars, I'm thinking that's a no. I've read the Reaper is a great alternative, but I want to hear what you guys think. Should I go with Reaper and get some type of drum program with it (thinking EZdrummer is the way to go), or save from Cakewalk or Cubase or something?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjd View Post
I didn't dig reaper. It was buggy on my quadcore, 8 gig of ram machine. I also felt the layout was kind of ugly, and there were way more settings/controls than i knew what to do with which just confused the hell out of me.
When did you try it?
I gave it a shot 2-3 year ago and didn't dig it. Now I love it, no issues.

Considering the layout, it's designed to give you options, so (like I said earlier about the forums) there are downloadable skins to change the appearance of the mixer and track recording views. Also there are others that change the menus and the order of stuff (make it cubase or sonar like).

• Members

I switched to Reaper this year also.

I used Cubase SX for years, and I love Cubase in general. BUUUUT... $500ish to buy the new version of what I had for some home demos and playing around? It is just not worth it for me needs. Reaper is doing most of what I did in Cubase. I miss a few things, but not $450 miss....

• Members

I'm one of the few guys here that dislike Reaper. I'm curious how many of the Reaper lovers have owned a higher priced DAW though. I can't imagine someone trying Studio One and even giving Reaper a second thought. It's lightyears ahead.

So that's my pick. Studio One. You can download a demo.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven View Post
I'm one of the few guys here that dislike Reaper. I'm curious how many of the Reaper lovers have owned a higher priced DAW though. I can't imagine someone trying Studio One and even giving Reaper a second thought. It's lightyears ahead.

So that's my pick. Studio One. You can download a demo.
I guess it just depends on what you wanna do with it. I switched from sonar 8. Ive used cubase pretty extensively as well. For what I need at home...reaper is light enough and does so much more than I could ever imagine needing.

Archived