Hessian3

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by sbrett

View Post

mow yards

Seriously. Kids around here that started going door to door with a lawnmower and weed eater a few years ago now have their own landscaping businesses

yep. i knew a kid from JH in my hometown who started that in HS and now has contracts with the city and county for maintenance, as well as personal clients, etc all at 31. i did his return one year when i was still there and i was jelly. srs jelly.

• Members

There's one thing I want to add here. Everyone seems to say that you absolutely need to find your passion to make a business work. That's bull{censored}. What you need is a working business model and a lust for success. Passion makes it easier and more enjoyable, but the guys who make the real money do the {censored} that no one else wants to do. A working business model. Create one. Test it for holes. Run it on paper. Also, get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Personal-MBA-M.../dp/1591845572

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven

View Post

There's one thing I want to add here. Everyone seems to say that you absolutely need to find your passion to make a business work. That's bull{censored}. What you need is a working business model and a lust for success. Passion makes it easier and more enjoyable, but the guys who make the real money do the {censored} that no one else wants to do. A working business model. Create one. Test it for holes. Run it on paper. Also, get this:

And this is why you're an entrepreneur. I know I give you {censored} on here but I'll be damned if I've met anyone with your drive to succeed. Unlike the OP you've always been clawing your way to the next business. That's the kind of drive that successful self employed people have. Not asking for business ideas that sound interesting on a guitar message board. To me that shows an inherent laziness that will never work.

The mowing yards thing? People don't get city contracts by just mowing their neighbors yard and I doubt the city drove by and happened to notice the quality of his work.

• Members

View Post

Thanks. I will check this out.

• Members

View Post

Thanks. I will check this out.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy

View Post

And this is why you're an entrepreneur. I know I give you {censored} on here but I'll be damned if I've met anyone with your drive to succeed. Unlike the OP you've always been clawing your way to the next business. That's the kind of drive that successful self employed people have. Not asking for business ideas that sound interesting on a guitar message board. To me that shows an inherent laziness that will never work.

The mowing yards thing? People don't get city contracts by just mowing their neighbors yard and I doubt the city drove by and happened to notice the quality of his work.

You don't even know me. You have no idea what drive I have. I asked for ideas on here because this whole forum is OT and I am just looking for some general ideas.

• Members

View Post

His dad was the city atty or something like that... wink.gif

Connections, bishes.

• Members

Whatever you do, make sure it's repeatable and profitable.

Don't pick something that only a few people will need.

Run the numbers right away, and figure out how many transactions you need given your calculated margins, and see if it makes money.

Find the smartest person you know(who isn't a major pessimist), and show them your idea. Chances are, they will come up with lots of holes in your plan.

Also, I know you said you don't want to quit your job, BUT, if you are living comfortably, you won't be hungry enough to put your whole self into this venture. It will fizzle out, and you'll sell your assets for pennies on the dollar.

Find something about which you can be passionate.

Figure out how to make money doing it.

Get opinions on whether it will work, but don't give up!

Also, look for a business incubator or a coworking facility in your town. They might let you use an office for free.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hessian3

View Post

You don't even know me. You have no idea what drive I have. I asked for ideas on here because this whole forum is OT and I am just looking for some general ideas.

Ok. I hope you succeed, my man. It's all about the drive to win. Reach deep and get yourself in that mindset. Expect much harsher criticism from SBA lenders, potential clients, and your competition.

In the meantime I like my coffee with lots of cream and lots of sugar.

• Members

View Post

Ok. I hope you succeed, my man. It's all about the drive to win. Reach deep and get yourself in that mindset. Expect much harsher criticism from SBA lenders, potential clients, and your competition.

In the meantime I like my coffee with lots of cream and lots of sugar.

Coffee's for closers. Your name's Levine? You call yourself a salesman, you son of a bitch?

Archived