I put huge strings on my guitar by mistake lol

guitarbilly74

• Members

I use 10-52 on my regular tuning stuff, with a 24.75 scale. I've been using a custom 60-13 set for my downtuned stuff. Whenever I play with small strings, I feel like I'm going to destroy the strings with my pick. That, and I'm a well hung lesbian.

• Members

I used to play 12s, and dabbled with 13s. Slowly started dropped. Used 11s regularly for a couple of years, then when I started with IWBT, I started using 10s in drop D. Got a free set of 9s, and started using 9s. So much easier. Makes it feel like I dont have to fight the guitar, and allows me to loosen up a bit with my playing. Right now, Im running 10s in drop C.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by NinjaRaf View Post
. . . and started using 9s. So much easier. Makes it feel like I don't have to fight the guitar, and allows me to loosen up a bit with my playing.
Same. I've been playing 9's since the beginning, after switching from 8's when I was a lad. I seem to like my guitars like Cadillacs, they almost play themselves, but don't do anything without my input. When I want to play, I don't want to fight anything, I want the guitar to let me do exactly what I want.

I have some numbness in my fingers from time to time, so, heavier gauges are a no-no.

• Members

once i swapped over to heavier strings, i never really looked back. i use .13-56es, never had carpal tunnel, and just like the way they sound, and i bend all the time. it's just more stable if you have super {censored}ty left hand technique... which i definitely do.

i dunno-- enjoy it! hell.. if it's too heavy, switch back.

• Members

once i swapped over to heavier strings, i never really looked back. i use .13-56es, never had carpal tunnel, and just like the way they sound, and i bend all the time. it's just more stable if you have super {censored}ty left hand technique... which i definitely do.

i dunno-- enjoy it! hell.. if it's too heavy, switch back.

• Members

I was on board with heavy gauge strings for a while. Used 12s in standard tuning. After a while I went back to 10s and discovered that I liked them much better. Heavier gauges had an unpleasant 'clang' to the tone, plus I just like bends and vibratos too much. cop.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaRaf

View Post

I used to play 12s, and dabbled with 13s. Slowly started dropped. Used 11s regularly for a couple of years, then when I started with IWBT, I started using 10s in drop D. Got a free set of 9s, and started using 9s. So much easier. Makes it feel like I dont have to fight the guitar, and allows me to loosen up a bit with my playing. Right now, Im running 10s in drop C.

Eek! You might as well use rubber bands! I guess your guitar is probably not Gibson scale, but that just seems really lose to me.

• Members

I go whereever the tone is. For standard or E flat I like somewhat heavier gauges. 10-50 for E, 10-52 e flat. That will change a touch between Gibson or Fender scale. The heavier gauges keep it thick, but it still has some bite at that tuning. When I tune down I used to use what would be the equivalent by using the string tension chart. My main tuning for years and still is, was D flat. I initially used like 12-58.. But as time went on I was always looking for that extra bite. That started me on my pickup whoring quest..

On some guitars that helped, but what helped the most was actually using lighter gauges for down tuning.. Now I use 11-54 for D flat.. Some times I'll even pop a 52 on the low string.. But on my SG I tune to C standard at the moment and use 12-62, but it also has actives which helps add the thickness back when using actives.. Plus SGs are fairly bright and heavier gauges with active pickups is what gets me the tone I want. So I guess I'm all over the place. Every guitar of mine has it's own set of gauges even if I tune guitars to the same tuning and they have the same scale length i still might have them in different string gauges

Archived