Modern Metal is horrible!

The Rossness

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can understand some of the frustration of the OP, but damn .... lighten up !!!
I started playing guitar in 1978. I was basically influenced by Jimi Hendrix, Robin Trower, Michael Schenker and Jimmy Page, then in the 1980's it shifted to Angus Young, Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Metallica and later Pantera. Then Alternative /Grunge happened and song writing went down hill as well as musicianship. Then Punk kicked in and it got worse.
Then in the 2000's, Nu-Metal bands like Limp Bizkit, R.A.T.M., S.O.A.D and Tool, reduced the guitar to a fashion statement / a prop to look cool.
I teach guitar and I noticed more of my students are asking to learn Blues, 80's Shred Guitar and wanting to learn more theory. I think good guitar playing and better song writing is coming back in style. Don't under estimate the younger crowd like the old(er)farts once criticized our Generation ....cop.gif

• Members

I can understand some of the frustration of the OP, but damn .... lighten up !!!
I started playing guitar in 1978. I was basically influenced by Jimi Hendrix, Robin Trower, Michael Schenker and Jimmy Page, then in the 1980's it shifted to Angus Young, Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Metallica and later Pantera. Then Alternative /Grunge happened and song writing went down hill as well as musicianship. Then Punk kicked in and it got worse.
Then in the 2000's, Nu-Metal bands like Limp Bizkit, R.A.T.M., S.O.A.D and Tool, reduced the guitar to a fashion statement / a prop to look cool.
I teach guitar and I noticed more of my students are asking to learn Blues, 80's Shred Guitar and wanting to learn more theory. I think good guitar playing and better song writing is coming back in style. Don't under estimate the younger crowd like the old(er)farts once criticized our Generation ....cop.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by AJ6stringsting View Post
Tool? Nu metal? Fashion prop? I'm gonna say RATM doesn't deserve that tag either

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by AJ6stringsting View Post
Tool? Nu metal? Fashion prop? I'm gonna say RATM doesn't deserve that tag either

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GRANKOR View Post
icon_lol.gif

I didn't make it that far
Musical taste is so subjective. I could take the statement "talented musicians making bad music" and apply it to so many 80s shred bands IMO. Those dudes could play their asses off and most still couldn't write a song I want to listen to.

Different folks different strokes. The whining is hilarious though.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GRANKOR View Post
icon_lol.gif

I didn't make it that far
Musical taste is so subjective. I could take the statement "talented musicians making bad music" and apply it to so many 80s shred bands IMO. Those dudes could play their asses off and most still couldn't write a song I want to listen to.

Different folks different strokes. The whining is hilarious though.

• Members

For {censored}s sake, if you don't like it, don't {censored}ing listen to it. It's still music, even if it isn't pleasing to your ears. When some of the forumites around here post doom or sludge, I don't like it...and I certainly don't understand how anyone can sit and listen to that, but I keep my {censored}ing mouth shut because they DO like it and it's a completely subjective thing.

Is it so hard to understand that what you consider "music" some people consider complete garbage? I'm sure there is plenty of music in your collection that I wouldn't be able to stand 30 seconds of...but if you like it, good for you!!!

Why did you even need to start this thread? Are you really that put out by other people's taste in music? {censored} me...this thread is just another reminder of why I support post-birth abortion facepalm.gif

Archived