CyberPower PC Black Pearl I am considering buying

kooter82

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kooter82

View Post

SO, with that said.

What would you recommend for a complete computer for my needs and they are as follows:

Must be able to run current games (ie, FPS's mostly)

Recording and editing music

Doing a little video editing (nothing too crazy)

And (in the future) web design.

Thanks for all the help, for real.

Go to NewEgg and build your own. Not very difficult and you end up with exactly what you want plus you don't have any proprietary parts in it so if something fails down the road it's generally and easy fix.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

well to start I personally like AMD for what you get for the price, but a lot of people seem to be sticklers for Intel. It's completely up to you, just go to newegg or tigerdirect and see what you like. Some of their barebones kits might be a good starting point. Also, passmark.com to get a general idea of what you're getting.

• Members

well to start I personally like AMD for what you get for the price, but a lot of people seem to be sticklers for Intel. It's completely up to you, just go to newegg or tigerdirect and see what you like. Some of their barebones kits might be a good starting point. Also, passmark.com to get a general idea of what you're getting.

• Members

View Post

SO, with that said.

What would you recommend for a complete computer for my needs and they are as follows:

CPU: Intel i5-3570K (very overclockable and super easy to get 4.5ghz on air) $220

MOBO: LGA 1155 ASUS or Gigabyte full size board (plan to spend about $175-200 to have enough USB 3.0 headers, fast SATA ports, etc) $190

RAM: Any 1600mhz ram 16 GB $75

Graphics Card: I am an nVidia fanboi so I would recommend a GTX 670 Neighborhood of $350

PSU: 750 watts around $100

Case: lots of leeway here but just make sure it has front inputs on it; anywhere between $50-200.

SSD: 128 gb are around $100 and 256 gb are around $175

HDD: 2 TB should be enough and are pretty cheap (no idea price) say $100

CPU Fan: Coolermaster Hyper 212+ (dirt cheap and works great) $25-30

Misc 120mm Case Fans: $10 each

DVD Drive: steal from your current machine

CD Drives: steal from your current machine

Total is $1,490 before shipping and taxes using the highest numbers quoted above. If you go smart with shopping around, you can save a good bit more. I went to a Micro Center and got my i5-3570K for $169 plus my ASUS p8z77-v Pro for $145 and Crucial Ballistix 8gb kit for $34. Frys price matched my Coolermaster CPU cooler for $24. I had the case already and DVD drives. I got a 660ti for $269 minus $30 MIR. A good PSU will last you 10 years so long as the connectors don't tend to change.

Once built, you can just to a Mobo, CPU, Ram, GPU upgrade in the future.

EDIT: Recording interface...that is entirely up to you and will be above and beyond that stuff right there. You can go nuts if you want.

• Members

View Post

SO, with that said.

CPU: Intel i5-3570K (very overclockable and super easy to get 4.5ghz on air) $220

MOBO: LGA 1155 ASUS or Gigabyte full size board (plan to spend about $175-200 to have enough USB 3.0 headers, fast SATA ports, etc) $190

RAM: Any 1600mhz ram 16 GB $75

Graphics Card: I am an nVidia fanboi so I would recommend a GTX 670 Neighborhood of $350

PSU: 750 watts around $100

Case: lots of leeway here but just make sure it has front inputs on it; anywhere between $50-200.

SSD: 128 gb are around $100 and 256 gb are around $175

HDD: 2 TB should be enough and are pretty cheap (no idea price) say $100

CPU Fan: Coolermaster Hyper 212+ (dirt cheap and works great) $25-30

Misc 120mm Case Fans: $10 each

DVD Drive: steal from your current machine

CD Drives: steal from your current machine

Total is $1,490 before shipping and taxes using the highest numbers quoted above. If you go smart with shopping around, you can save a good bit more. I went to a Micro Center and got my i5-3570K for $169 plus my ASUS p8z77-v Pro for $145 and Crucial Ballistix 8gb kit for $34. Frys price matched my Coolermaster CPU cooler for $24. I had the case already and DVD drives. I got a 660ti for $269 minus $30 MIR. A good PSU will last you 10 years so long as the connectors don't tend to change.

Once built, you can just to a Mobo, CPU, Ram, GPU upgrade in the future.

EDIT: Recording interface...that is entirely up to you and will be above and beyond that stuff right there. You can go nuts if you want.

• Members

Man...

You know what, {censored} it, you all are right. I know I can build one myself. I haven't had a challenge in a while and it actually sounds like it would be fun to do the more I think about it.

Ideas on a case to start? I think someone mentioned Cooler Master?

• Members

Man...

You know what, {censored} it, you all are right. I know I can build one myself. I haven't had a challenge in a while and it actually sounds like it would be fun to do the more I think about it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend179

View Post

Don't think you need a 2011 board for gaming, or 32gb of ram, and the Z506 is a {censored}-tastic 5.1 system (I own one and there's hella cross-talk between the channels), but it looks like a killer rig. I'd probably go with an 1155 mobo and an i5 3570k, 16gb of RAM, and then get a second video card for CrossFire.

This. x10000

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend179

View Post

Don't think you need a 2011 board for gaming, or 32gb of ram, and the Z506 is a {censored}-tastic 5.1 system (I own one and there's hella cross-talk between the channels), but it looks like a killer rig. I'd probably go with an 1155 mobo and an i5 3570k, 16gb of RAM, and then get a second video card for CrossFire.

This. x10000

• Members

View Post

Man...

I like mini-builds with tons of power, so I'm biased. I like a small board and case. My favorite builds are micro ATX and ITX. They are small form factors that approach the size of a console system, but with the power of a high-end rig. Like these: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=641601

Here is my latest rig: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...&postcount=140

Here's a kickass one: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...&postcount=208

Another: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...&postcount=224

For the guts:

Asus Maximus V Gene (mATX)

Great mobo for OC'ing, gets great stability on decent OC's, does well on LN2. Very low price.

Intel i5 3570

Bang/buck best CPU for gaming. 22n technology, very efficient. Love mine.

GTX 680

Get one of these if budget allows, or GTX670 is great. You can also get creative later and add another card for SLI.

16G ram

All you need at the moment.

128G or 256 SSD

Speed up your load times and everything having to do with OS functions. Installed BF3 on mine, and a few other games. Using the online SSD windows 7 install guide, the installation only takes about 9 gigs, then I installed a bunch of games and software, and I'm still only at 48G used space.

PSU: from my list that is in the +750Watt range: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=589708

Hard drive: Take your pick, look into the 2.5" ones so you can stuff it with the SSD.

Case: Get anything you want, but I like my small cases. Here's mine: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16811163182

Cooling: Corsair H80 FTW.

Optical drives: Depends on what you want.

• Members

View Post

Man...

I like mini-builds with tons of power, so I'm biased. I like a small board and case. My favorite builds are micro ATX and ITX. They are small form factors that approach the size of a console system, but with the power of a high-end rig. Like these: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=641601

Here is my latest rig: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...&postcount=140

Here's a kickass one: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...&postcount=208

Another: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...&postcount=224

For the guts:

Asus Maximus V Gene (mATX)

Great mobo for OC'ing, gets great stability on decent OC's, does well on LN2. Very low price.

Intel i5 3570

Bang/buck best CPU for gaming. 22n technology, very efficient. Love mine.

GTX 680

Get one of these if budget allows, or GTX670 is great. You can also get creative later and add another card for SLI.

16G ram

All you need at the moment.

128G or 256 SSD

Speed up your load times and everything having to do with OS functions. Installed BF3 on mine, and a few other games. Using the online SSD windows 7 install guide, the installation only takes about 9 gigs, then I installed a bunch of games and software, and I'm still only at 48G used space.

PSU: from my list that is in the +750Watt range: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=589708

Hard drive: Take your pick, look into the 2.5" ones so you can stuff it with the SSD.

Case: Get anything you want, but I like my small cases. Here's mine: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16811163182

Cooling: Corsair H80 FTW.

Optical drives: Depends on what you want.

• Members

Other case choices are abundant, tons of good stuff out there. Wouldn't get a full tower as they are HUGE. Regular mid towers are OK in size..

In order of expensive/fancy to less expensive but still great quality:

Silverstone Fortress FT02

Corsair Obsidian 550

Corsair 500R/400R/C70 series

Cooler Master Storm Sniper

Thermaltake Armor A90

NZXT Phantom 410

Cooler Master Storm Scout

Cooler Master HAF 922/912

Zalman Z11

Antec 300

• Members

Other case choices are abundant, tons of good stuff out there. Wouldn't get a full tower as they are HUGE. Regular mid towers are OK in size..

In order of expensive/fancy to less expensive but still great quality:

Silverstone Fortress FT02

Corsair Obsidian 550

Corsair 500R/400R/C70 series

Cooler Master Storm Sniper

Thermaltake Armor A90

NZXT Phantom 410

Cooler Master Storm Scout

Cooler Master HAF 922/912

Zalman Z11

Antec 300

• Members

Let's see. Overblown specs, REALLY ugly case, crap display. Unless you run some heavy scientific calculation or lots of virtual machines, you will never need 32 GB RAM. Hell, even 8 GB is more than most people need - I've yet to truly need over 4. Likewise you will do absolutely nothing with 3GB VRAM on a graphics card at 1080p resolution. And do you really have anything to fill a 3 TB HDD?

Also those 800W+ PSUs are a complete waste of money unless you run like 3 graphics cards and all hard drive slots filled. Get a quality, low noise 500-600W PSU instead.

Those all-in-one watercooling systems for the CPU are also not worth the money - they perform no better than a decent air cooler. If you want a water cooled system, build a proper one that cools the GPU as well and for that you need a normal size case and bigger radiators.

• Members

Let's see. Overblown specs, REALLY ugly case, crap display. Unless you run some heavy scientific calculation or lots of virtual machines, you will never need 32 GB RAM. Hell, even 8 GB is more than most people need - I've yet to truly need over 4. Likewise you will do absolutely nothing with 3GB VRAM on a graphics card at 1080p resolution. And do you really have anything to fill a 3 TB HDD?

Also those 800W+ PSUs are a complete waste of money unless you run like 3 graphics cards and all hard drive slots filled. Get a quality, low noise 500-600W PSU instead.

Those all-in-one watercooling systems for the CPU are also not worth the money - they perform no better than a decent air cooler. If you want a water cooled system, build a proper one that cools the GPU as well and for that you need a normal size case and bigger radiators.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by pioneerprogress

View Post

I recently went from a phenom 2 quad core to an intel i3, everything runs faster. I was telling a lot of people to go to amd for the price prior to that, but after my experience I just can't justify it. However, I've read good things about their vishera architecture.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by pioneerprogress

View Post

I recently went from a phenom 2 quad core to an intel i3, everything runs faster. I was telling a lot of people to go to amd for the price prior to that, but after my experience I just can't justify it. However, I've read good things about their vishera architecture.

Archived