MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4

MEMORY: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600

MONITOR: ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen

SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 - MAX IOPS Edition 240Gb

HD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB

VIDEO CARD: GIGABYTE GV-R797OC-3GD Radeon HD 7970 3GB

POWER SUPPLY: CORSAIR AX Series AX850 850W

ROM DRIVE: Sony Optiarc High Speed SATA DVD RW Burner

OS: Windows 8 Professional - (Screw it, I'll get the newest)

ADDON - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO, + another 120mm

$1,926 after shipping

Nice gear there, as for the SSD, I would pick the intel 330, or crucial M4 over that one. Look for a deal on them..

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by kooter82

View Post

Heres what I got now...

MEMORY: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600

MONITOR: ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen

SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 - MAX IOPS Edition 240Gb

VIDEO CARD: GIGABYTE GV-R797OC-3GD Radeon HD 7970 3GB

If you want to save some money, just get 8 GB RAM. For normal use, recording and gaming that will be plenty.

Don't buy the OCZ Vertex. Or anything from OCZ. They use their customers as beta testers. I have an OCZ Agility 3 (basically a slightly slower Vertex 3) and it took months for them to get the firmware updated so that it would work on my desktop PC (worked fine on my Mac for some reason). Support kept blaming my system despite showing them that was not the issue but their crappy firmware.

If you want an SSD, buy an Intel drive instead. At this point, pretty much all name brand SSDs are really fast. I have an Intel X25-M G2 and an OCZ Agility 3 which is a generation newer than the Intel and there is no perceivable speed difference between the two. So paying more for the fastest versions (like the Max IOPS) is a waste of money.

I'd also get an Nvidia card instead of ATI. I feel Nvidia has better drivers and some games seem to run a bit faster on them. 3 GB VRAM is also of no use until you hit resolutions larger than 1920x1200. Manufacturers just cram them in because RAM is cheap and makes for more impressive specs.

I'm also not fond of getting cheap displays. A good display with an IPS panel will be better in every way. Plus the 16:9 aspect ratio is absolute {censored} for normal use until you get to 2560x1440 resolution (where the res is enough that vertical space is plenty). It's going to be the one thing in your computer you're going to look at a lot, so why not spend more and get something that's great. Besides, a display will last a really long time.

The PSU is also excessive. I've got a system that probably eats more juice but a 550W PSU has been way more than enough. Again just a case of manufacturers wanting more impressive specs.

Archived