CyberPower PC Black Pearl I am considering buying

kooter82

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kardula

View Post

I recently went from a phenom 2 quad core to an intel i3, everything runs faster. I was telling a lot of people to go to amd for the price prior to that, but after my experience I just can't justify it. However, I've read good things about their vishera architecture.

I can't pretend to have tried lots and lots of different cpu's or anything, but I went by word of mouth and didn't bother with the phenom x4's. I heard they just weren't all that. My computer at home is a phenom II x6 1055t - at work I've got 2nd gen i5 computers. I'm too lazy to go look, but I think one is a 2300 and one is a 2320. It's not like I'm gaming at work or anything, but they perform similarly to the AMD. Maybe I'd have to get those things breathing a little harder to tell the difference, who knows.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kardula

View Post

I recently went from a phenom 2 quad core to an intel i3, everything runs faster. I was telling a lot of people to go to amd for the price prior to that, but after my experience I just can't justify it. However, I've read good things about their vishera architecture.

I can't pretend to have tried lots and lots of different cpu's or anything, but I went by word of mouth and didn't bother with the phenom x4's. I heard they just weren't all that. My computer at home is a phenom II x6 1055t - at work I've got 2nd gen i5 computers. I'm too lazy to go look, but I think one is a 2300 and one is a 2320. It's not like I'm gaming at work or anything, but they perform similarly to the AMD. Maybe I'd have to get those things breathing a little harder to tell the difference, who knows.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend179

View Post

Reason I use 16gb is so I can run a RAMdisc with the last 8gb.

Kooter, what I mean is that the motherboard and processor you have selected are workstation quality- they support and do a lot of things that you'll never ever use unless you're doing programming or video editing. You're spending a lot of money on components you'll never ever ever use, when there are cheaper (yet still massively overkill) components out there that would let you put cash into other things that WILL net you a noticeable upgrade (second video card).

This is kind of a tangent, but if you've only got one monitor can a second video card work as a GPU for CUDA enabled software even if you don't have a monitor plugged into it?

• Members

View Post

Reason I use 16gb is so I can run a RAMdisc with the last 8gb.

Kooter, what I mean is that the motherboard and processor you have selected are workstation quality- they support and do a lot of things that you'll never ever use unless you're doing programming or video editing. You're spending a lot of money on components you'll never ever ever use, when there are cheaper (yet still massively overkill) components out there that would let you put cash into other things that WILL net you a noticeable upgrade (second video card).

This is kind of a tangent, but if you've only got one monitor can a second video card work as a GPU for CUDA enabled software even if you don't have a monitor plugged into it?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by pioneerprogress

View Post

well to start I personally like AMD for what you get for the price, but a lot of people seem to be sticklers for Intel. It's completely up to you, just go to newegg or tigerdirect and see what you like. Some of their barebones kits might be a good starting point. Also, passmark.com to get a general idea of what you're getting.

If you've been keeping up with AMD vs Intel lately, you'll notice that AMD is starting to trail far behind in terms midrange to high-end performance. The only trick up their sleeve is their implemented GPU and keep adding cores. Their architecture is getting older, and with it the performance is simply no match for intel. The OCing ability of the intels are far superior in terms of power usage and thermal dissipation.

When it comes to saving money, AMD is competitive in the low to low-midrange market.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by pioneerprogress

View Post

well to start I personally like AMD for what you get for the price, but a lot of people seem to be sticklers for Intel. It's completely up to you, just go to newegg or tigerdirect and see what you like. Some of their barebones kits might be a good starting point. Also, passmark.com to get a general idea of what you're getting.

If you've been keeping up with AMD vs Intel lately, you'll notice that AMD is starting to trail far behind in terms midrange to high-end performance. The only trick up their sleeve is their implemented GPU and keep adding cores. Their architecture is getting older, and with it the performance is simply no match for intel. The OCing ability of the intels are far superior in terms of power usage and thermal dissipation.

When it comes to saving money, AMD is competitive in the low to low-midrange market.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Slaymoar

View Post

Their APU's are cool, but like you mention, not really attractive for a performance build. And yeah, Intel is dominating the high end processors right now. This time last year, they were at least keeping up even if not on the cutting edge.

• Members

View Post

Their APU's are cool, but like you mention, not really attractive for a performance build. And yeah, Intel is dominating the high end processors right now. This time last year, they were at least keeping up even if not on the cutting edge.

• Members

View Post

Their APU's are cool, but like you mention, not really attractive for a performance build. And yeah, Intel is dominating the high end processors right now. This time last year, AMD was at least halfway keeping up even if not on the cutting edge.

Have you noticed that the rumors currently are that both the next gen gaming consoles will be sporting APU's though? Will be interesting to see how that goes, even if it's a different niche.

• Members

View Post

Their APU's are cool, but like you mention, not really attractive for a performance build. And yeah, Intel is dominating the high end processors right now. This time last year, AMD was at least halfway keeping up even if not on the cutting edge.

Have you noticed that the rumors currently are that both the next gen gaming consoles will be sporting APU's though? Will be interesting to see how that goes, even if it's a different niche.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Miter Gauge

View Post

I think most folks are talking about SLI or Crossfire. I know some folks use a dedicated 2nd card for Physix with nVidia. But I am not sure how effective it really is.

There is another secret...use a lower resolution monitor. I am still using a 1280x1024 square monitor for my gaming and I can crank things up with no issue. It is when you start gaming at 1440 that the extra cards can help. At least that is how I understand it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Miter Gauge

View Post

I think most folks are talking about SLI or Crossfire. I know some folks use a dedicated 2nd card for Physix with nVidia. But I am not sure how effective it really is.

There is another secret...use a lower resolution monitor. I am still using a 1280x1024 square monitor for my gaming and I can crank things up with no issue. It is when you start gaming at 1440 that the extra cards can help. At least that is how I understand it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by marshallnoise

View Post

I use 2 670's as an SLI'd pair, and a 560ti 448 for physX. It does make a different on performance, particularly on games that are heavily physx intensive (Arkham City with physX turned up is gorgeous, but hell on your graphics card).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by marshallnoise

View Post

I use 2 670's as an SLI'd pair, and a 560ti 448 for physX. It does make a different on performance, particularly on games that are heavily physx intensive (Arkham City with physX turned up is gorgeous, but hell on your graphics card).

• Members

This is what I got in my cart right now with Newegg.

------------

CASE: COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 (It is a full tower case. Do I need to buy all the fans for it or does it come with?)

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz

MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4

MEMORY: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600

SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 - MAX IOPS Edition 240Gb

HD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB

VIDEO CARD: EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680

SOUND CARD: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion

POWER SUPPLY: CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W

ROM DRIVE: Sony Optiarc High Speed SATA DVD RW Burner

Thoughts? Am I missing anything?

• Members

This is what I got in my cart right now with Newegg.

------------

CASE: COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 (It is a full tower case. Do I need to buy all the fans for it or does it come with?)

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz

MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4

MEMORY: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600

SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 - MAX IOPS Edition 240Gb

HD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB

VIDEO CARD: EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680

SOUND CARD: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion

POWER SUPPLY: CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W

ROM DRIVE: Sony Optiarc High Speed SATA DVD RW Burner

Thoughts? Am I missing anything?

• Members

Kooter, I'd buy a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ CPU cooler- the stock Intel one is kinda garbage.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...er%20212%20evo

I'd suggest you pick up another 120mm fan so you can snap it onto the 212+ and use it as push-pull. The HAF X should come with all the fans you need- you can add an additional 200mm fan on the top should you so desire.

I also don't know if you really need the sound card, unless you're looking to do dolby/dts to a home theatre.

Also, I don't see an Operating System.

• Members

Kooter, I'd buy a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ CPU cooler- the stock Intel one is kinda garbage.

I'd suggest you pick up another 120mm fan so you can snap it onto the 212+ and use it as push-pull. The HAF X should come with all the fans you need- you can add an additional 200mm fan on the top should you so desire.

I also don't know if you really need the sound card, unless you're looking to do dolby/dts to a home theatre.

• Members

View Post

Right on. I added the 212+. Whats another 120mm you suggest?

I did remove the sound card as well, I'm not gonna be doing any home theatre type stuff.

I'm either gonna do windows 8 or 7. I'm not sure. I haven't really messed with 8 much, well, 7 too. Is the new windows worth it?

• Members

View Post

Right on. I added the 212+. Whats another 120mm you suggest?

I did remove the sound card as well, I'm not gonna be doing any home theatre type stuff.

I'm either gonna do windows 8 or 7. I'm not sure. I haven't really messed with 8 much, well, 7 too. Is the new windows worth it?

• Members

View Post

I totally agree with the 212+. Fantastic cooler.

And Kooter, great rig you are building. I am a fan of Gigabyte boards and that is a pretty darned good one.

Archived