Peavey XXX lounge enter here

Sordid1

• Members

The clean clip was almost all the bridge pickup up until towards the end, which is the neck. As long as I play softly it stay's nice and clean and sounds great, but when I start to play louder, the bottom end starts to have this break up that's not very pleasing to my ears. That clip was with RUBY EL34BSTR's and JJ pre's.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by PRSplaya
The clean clip was almost all the bridge pickup up until towards the end, which is the neck. As long as I play softly it stay's nice and clean and sounds great, but when I start to play louder, the bottom end starts to have this break up that's not very pleasing to my ears. That clip was with RUBY EL34BSTR's and JJ pre's.
what do you have your tone controls set to? I keep all mine around noon and I have the channel volume at about 10 o'clock. I also keep my master at noon or a hair above, if you have the master up too high that could be causing the issue but like I said I really couldn't hear it.

• Members
Originally posted by PRSplaya
everything was set at noon (see the pic in the post with the clip). I've tried setting the master everywhere, but still get that farting break up on the low end.
does it do it on the neck pup as well? I never use my bridge for clean stuff because it never sounds as sweet to me. I actually prefer to use the coil tap on my prs neck pup or the Luke's single coils for clean, very sweet sounding.

• Members
Originally posted by als_lespaul
It sounds like there is something wrong with your clean channel PRSplaya. I run my master on 10 all of the time and I get no breakup at all on my clean channel. I do run a 12at7 in V1 though too.
The 12at7 in V1 really helps out the clean channel imho. It adds a chime to it that wasn't there with the 12ax7 in that slot. I agree that there must be something wrong because I get no breakup at all.

• Members

I'm not sure if we have anymore of that shiney material here at work or not. I could make you one, but I can't do one with a Peavey logo. I know I could do one out of regular .080" aluminum, and it wouldn't take too much to polish it real good. Send me an e-mail or PM and we'll discuss it, fi you're still interested.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by DirtyChains
Bump for the great info!
you found it! I hope you dig the amp, I know to me it is one of the most underrated amps out there and there are a few cats that agree with me. I like it that way though because it gives me a different tone than everyone else we play out with and keeps the prices down if I ever need a replacement smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just had to throw in my two cents about the XXX; I quit using the head and went with the 60 watt combo with SED EL34's-
VERY SCARY!! Best amp I have ever played or heard. Run that into a 4X12 or 2X12 and look out!! I have found that there aren't too many applications for the full 120 watts, plus the break up is so sweet at 60 watts.
Also I'm a gain whore and don't really understand why so many folks want to tame the gain down???? Back in my day we couldn't get enough gain, but to each his own. I put a jumper in the FX loop and max it out, then run the gain at a 3 o'clock position (75-80%) and crank the channel wide open. I control the whole thing just through the master volume.
But you better put your seat belt on with it set like this biggrin.gif , but this how I have played it for the last year and I have sold off every other piece of rack gear or head I've ever had!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by G-smak
Question about the dampening switch:

I usually run mine on loose. But if I switch to medium, or especially tight, I experience a drastic drop in volume.

What's up with that?
That is true. The dampening switch limits how much the speaker travel is so putting it on the lower ones will naturally cut sound due to less vibration and movement (I think). Anyway, I have grown to like mine way better on loose now since I use a lot more mids and less gain now.

• Members

im seriously thinking about buying a used xxx head and replacing the tubes...does anyone know by any chance how well these things hold their value?....or what u should be paying for a pretty good used one because I cant seem to get a straight answer out of anyone...thanks

-Dan

• Members
Originally posted by SSKdp06
im seriously thinking about buying a used xxx head and replacing the tubes...does anyone know by any chance how well these things hold their value?....or what u should be paying for a pretty good used one because I cant seem to get a straight answer out of anyone...thanks

-Dan
Used they seem to go for between $600-$700 depending on the tubes and condition. Jerry P. on here is selling a stock one for $600 plus shipping which is a steal. There is a really good chance I might be selling mine too but it would be a little more since I have the screen resistors upgraded and have a full set of JJ tubes in mine.

• Members

I am still loving this head - its become my main amp - this is over the single recto I had, and my Marshall DSL50. I do have a TSL100 and old '77 JMP which I don't use, but they are nice to have around. But, this is my favorite.

Since I've always liked a bit of a tight Marshall tone for lead, at rehearsal and gigs I've been keeping the switch on "tight." I just turned up the Master a bit, no problem.

• Members

Awesome to hear Blueswoman, glad to hear some positive words from a female Triple XXX owner, especially in light of the other great amps you have to compare it to! cool.gif

Kinda surprised you still love it over the JSX too! eek.gifbiggrin.gif Rawk on dewdette. m/ mad.gif m/

• Members
Originally posted by M-III
Awesome to hear Blueswoman, glad to hear some positive words from a female Triple XXX owner, especially in light of the other great amps you have to compare it to! cool.gif

Kinda surprised you still love it over the JSX too! eek.gifbiggrin.gif Rawk on dewdette. m/ mad.gif m/
Yeah I am a little surprised too although for all out metal I think the XXX is better just because you have two very high gain channels that are voiced differently. Unfortunately for me it's the opposite and the JSX has caught my eye and I can't shake it wink.gif

• Members

thanks alot sordid...in addition to tubes...(probably el34's considering they get the best feedback from buyers)...what else do you think i should consider upgrading down under cause I'm relatively new to tube amps in case you havent seen this already...i play mostly hardcore and or metal so i wanted some punch out of my next amp and this amp seems to agree with my wallet...i just needed to break away from that darn digital scene...

• Members

Hey all, another happy Triple XXX user checking in. Probably have 40ish gigs with it and still love it.

Running JJ's, E34L's and I swapped the preamp tube, but I don't recall the exact number on that. It's been quite a while since I've thought about it, I'm very happy with my tone. smile.gif

Archived