Peavey XXX lounge enter here

Sordid1

• Members
Originally posted by ranalli

I'll have to try that. Is your 12at7 balanced or whatever that is?
no but it sounds great. It opens up the sound some and gives it an overall warmer sound. It also lowers the gain just enough so I can get some inbetween sounds without sacrificing the overall tone of the amp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

has anyone tried a 12at7 in both v1 and v4? I think i'm going to pick one up tomorrow and give it a whirl. I love it in the v4 and loved it in v1 so i'm thinking the combo might be a good one. Still looking for a slight gain reduction without changing the overall character of the amp.

• Members
Originally posted by Richard_S
does the 12at7 reduce gain significantly? because jerryp already lowered the gain quite a bit on mine. I'm thinking of getting one for the PI slot. I have jjecc83s in all the slots currently
it doesn't lower the gain a ton but it does sweeten up the sound to my ears and make the gain sweep more usable. If you already had Jerry work him magic it might lower the gain a little too much unless that's what you are going for.

• Members
Originally posted by Richard_S
thanks sordid, i'll order one this week or so and report my findings.
I will look forward to it, I should be able to pick mine up tomorrow morning so I should have a full report no later than Friday after a night of rehersal.

• Members

I don't have a 12at7 to try, but I did try a 12au7 in the PI, which I do not recomend. It made the amp dull and lifeless. I believe I've got a JJ ECC803 in V1 a 12dw7 in V2 a 12dw7 in V3 and a balanced 12ax7 in V4. I did have a regular 12ax7 in V3, but the clean channel was real dark. So I put the 12dw7 back in and it added the sparkle back.

Do any of you use effects in the loop? I've tried it twice. Once with a PODxt (only for effects) which worked pretty good, and the second time was with a reverb, delay, and chorus. That didn't work so well. Whenever i would engage the loop it sounded like a heavey sheet was put infront of the cab. Things just got real muffled and dark sounding. I know the reverb pedal is a tone sucker, but not that bad! I didn't have much time to mess with it at the time, so I don't know if it could have been worked out, and haven't messed with it since. Have any of you had similar/opposite resultes?

• Members
Originally posted by PRSplaya
I don't have a 12at7 to try, but I did try a 12au7 in the PI, which I do not recomend. It made the amp dull and lifeless. I believe I've got a JJ ECC803 in V1 a 12dw7 in V2 a 12dw7 in V3 and a balanced 12ax7 in V4. I did have a regular 12ax7 in V3, but the clean channel was real dark. So I put the 12dw7 back in and it added the sparkle back.

Do any of you use effects in the loop? I've tried it twice. Once with a PODxt (only for effects) which worked pretty good, and the second time was with a reverb, delay, and chorus. That didn't work so well. Whenever i would engage the loop it sounded like a heavey sheet was put infront of the cab. Things just got real muffled and dark sounding. I know the reverb pedal is a tone sucker, but not that bad! I didn't have much time to mess with it at the time, so I don't know if it could have been worked out, and haven't messed with it since. Have any of you had similar/opposite resultes?
I use effects with mine and it sounds great, it did take a lot of tinkering with my gt6 to get it to be transparent though. You might want to get your owners manual out and see if it needs to be set differently for effects only use in a loop. The loop on the XXX is a really good one. I recommend setting the send high and the return low and match it to the non effects level, that keeps the noise down.

• Members

I got my second JJ 12at7 yesterday and put in V1. My other tubes are JJ ecc83s's in v2 and v3 and a JJ 12at7 in V4. I have to say that i'm really digging the sound of this, to my ears it's way better than the 12dw7 I tried before. What's nice is that it lowers the gain, gives it more punch and clarity and warms everything up a bit. It doesn't change the overall character of the amp like the 12dw7 did. I now have a lot more control over my guitars volume control i.e. it actually can clean it up completely and the gain sweep on the lead channels is better now. It also seems to add a little more chime to the clean channel. I will report back in a few weeks after I have really got a chance to mess with it but so far I think this is the tube combo I have been looking for!

• Members

Well, I tried my effects in the loop again yesterday, and it sounded great. Only thing I changed were the cables. Same brand, just the next up in "quality". Don't know if that was the culpret or not, but either way, it sounds great now.rolleyes.gif

• Members
Well, I tried my effects in the loop again yesterday, and it sounded great. Only thing I changed were the cables. Same brand, just the next up in "quality". Don't know if that was the culpret or not, but either way, it sounds great now.rolleyes.gif
I used to think cables don't matter but they do. I don't think you need to spend tons of money on them but you need at least good quality ones. I was having serious noise issues and feedback because of a bad 3 foot cable a week ago. BTW, after rehersal last night i'm positive I have found the right tube configuration. I had the best tone I have ever had last night. I still had plenty of gain but everything is now punchier and the clean channel sounds amazing!

• Members

The funny thing is, the cables I used for the pedals in the loop when it sounded bad, I'm using them infront of the amp now, and it doesn't sound any different than with the better cables.

I'm thinking about a full retube myself. I'm beginning not to like the RUBY EL34BSTR's. They're just a little too hot. I'm thinking about some regular JJ EL34's. So your tube set up consists of regular 12AT7's in V1 & V4 and regular JJ 12AX7's in V2 & V3? Another question, do you alway's have your EQ on, or only when you need certain sounds.

On another note, has anybody used an attenuator with your 3X?

• Members
The funny thing is, the cables I used for the pedals in the loop when it sounded bad, I'm using them infront of the amp now, and it doesn't sound any different than with the better cables.

I'm thinking about a full retube myself. I'm beginning not to like the RUBY EL34BSTR's. They're just a little too hot. I'm thinking about some regular JJ EL34's. So your tube set up consists of regular 12AT7's in V1 & V4 and regular JJ 12AX7's in V2 & V3? Another question, do you alway's have your EQ on, or only when you need certain sounds.

On another note, has anybody used an attenuator with your 3X?
I do have my eq on full time, as I said it's set to minimal settings so it is good for lead and rythm. The tube setup is as you stated for the preamp tubes and yes I use a noise gate in front of the amp, wouldn't leave home without it!

• Members
Originally posted by ranalli

Too hot as in too much output? I didn't think they'd affect it that way....
What I mean by that, is they're hot like a hot 12ax7. See, I know the 3X has a good clean channel, but after putting those tubes in, it alway's has a little break up in it even at low volumes (obviously more the more it's turned up), no matter what preamp tubes I use. It also doesn't matter where the bias knob is set to, the break up is still there.

• Members

What I mean by that, is they're hot like a hot 12ax7. See, I know the 3X has a good clean channel, but after putting those tubes in, it alway's has a little break up in it even at low volumes (obviously more the more it's turned up), no matter what preamp tubes I use. It also doesn't matter where the bias knob is set to, the break up is still there.
I get no breakup at all on my clean channel. Try the 12at7's like I did, you will really like the clean channel afterwards as well as the other two. It possibly could be your speakers too but not as likely.

• Members

I doubt it's the speakers. It was doing it before I changed out the speakers, and when I run my classic 50 through the cab, it's clean is completely amazing! The EL34's that are in there now are "high gain" 34's, so I'm thinking they're the reason. I'll find out soon enough, because I just placed an order for some regular EL34's and 2 12at7's biggrin.gif

Just curious, what frequencies do you adjust with your eq? To me, with the mid up, it sounds like it might have a bit too much around the 800hz area, but don't quote me on that.

• Members
I doubt it's the speakers. It was doing it before I changed out the speakers, and when I run my classic 50 through the cab, it's clean is completely amazing! The EL34's that are in there now are "high gain" 34's, so I'm thinking they're the reason. I'll find out soon enough, because I just placed an order for some regular EL34's and 2 12at7's biggrin.gif

Just curious, what frequencies do you adjust with your eq? To me, with the mid up, it sounds like it might have a bit too much around the 800hz area, but don't quote me on that.
That is exactly what I cut a bit so you are right! The JJ tubes sound great in this amp so i'm sure you will like it! Hope you like the 12at7's as well, if you don't you can send me a letter bomb smile.gif

• Members

When I had my XXX I bought a set of JJ 6L6's that I was told were graded for high gain and should be used with the bias set all the way clockwise. I had a REALLY {censored}ty sounding breakup in my clean channel. Nothing musical about it. I put the stock tubes back in and it went away. I ordered some JJ EL34's and it was still fine. Tried the 6L6's again, it came back. I would guess it's a power tube problem.

• Members
  • Members

I can hear that farting out...not sure what it is. Do you always run the master that high?

Your clean must have been real loud with those settings I would imagine. Does it do it when the master is turned to like noon or even 2'oclock??

One thing I noticed is that the clean channel on the amp is WAY louder than the other two channels...have no idea why.

• Members

No, I don't normally run the master that high, but the "farting" is pretty much alway's there. The amp was fairly loud, but not loud enough to bother any of the neighbors (I don't think). Actually for {censored}'s and giggles, with the master all the way, I turned the clean up to about 3 o'clock and was getting some killer AC/DC type tones (on the clean channel mind you) for about 10 seconds until one of my speakers blew. It was one of the Governors. I'm not sure exactly what happened to it, but the speaker sounds like it's rattaling/vibrating loudly. I'll be opening the cab up today to check it out.

• Members

I really don't think it sounds farty at all so i'm not sure what you are talking about. Are you using the neck pup? Either way the el34's should really improve your clean as well as the two 12at7's, my clean has more chime now than it did and really sounds good since I added the 12at7 in the v1 slot, I really have no complaints about my sound at all now. I always think I have gas when I hear all the ENGL clips and whatnot on here but when I get to rehersal i'm always extremely happy with my sound. I think a lot of the subtle differences in sound get lost in a band setting anyway, you just need an amp that kicks ass and cuts through and my rig does just that! I still want a second amp one of these day but it's pretty far down on my priority list.

Archived