when playing fingerstyle, how many fingers do you use on your non-fretting hand?

EvilTwin

• Members

Me too! I use the same three fingers plus maybe my ring finger sometimes! I use natural nails on the fingers (they're like thin tortoisehel picks) and keep the thumbnail trimmed - the flesh makes for better bass response IMO.

• Members

thumb+3. Don't want the ring finger getting jealous.
Always liked the line I heard from a folk singer, can't remember who, when asked about fingerings on a particular song.
Q..."What finger do you use on that note?"
A...."Whichever one gets there first."

• Members

I try and use all five - which means I practice like that, and panic when I gig! It has taken ages to get the pinky working to a reasonable standard, and I've lost confidence on numerous occaisions that its even worth doing - but - when I do practice enough - it IS worth it. If I could manage 2 hrs a day on the acoustic for a month or so I think it would pay off big time. I guess it depends on what you want from your playing and what interests you.
redstevo

• Members

I also use thumb plus three. I usually brace my pinkie on the face of the guitar (I know, that's a no-no, but it helps my dynamics a lot).

What I find curious is that my right index finger wants to work the least; my social finger and ring finger seem to be the most active, if I don't pay attention to what I'm doing.

"Whichever one gets there first"--- :D . That describes my style perfectly!

• Members
Originally posted by bullpencoach

I really only use my thumb and forefinger (occasionally middle), because I'm usually still holding the pick. I do a fair bit of switching within songs. I would like to develop a more proper fingerstyle technique, however.

And I'd like to develop a hybrid style like yours, too! I've seen guys who can palm the pick and play with their fingers, and back---I think that's the nazz!

• Members
Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall

"Social finger", Dano?
;)

I pretty much use thumb, forefinger and "social finger", too...used to be able to use my ring finger, too, but rarely do anymore. No nails, just meat or occ. thumb/fingerpicks.

Social finger! Self-explanatory.

• Members

I'm a little different. I have six fingers on my right hand so I use five for picking. (You're picturing that right now aren't you.)

Actually I use four out of five on my right hand. Rarely does the pinky come into play.

• Members

Originally posted by Danocoustic

And I'd like to develop a hybrid style like yours, too! I've seen guys who can palm the pick and play with their fingers, and back---I think that's the nazz!

Cool - it's mostly a matter of picking your transition points, because I have to often leave the picking out of a beat. Sustained chords or hammer-ons are good way to fill the void.

• Members

Originally posted by Danocoustic

I also use thumb plus three. I usually brace my pinkie on the face of the guitar (I know, that's a no-no, but it helps my dynamics a lot).

Same here.

I saw Martin Taylor at (amazingly!) a local coffeehouse. He braces his pinkie on the guitar, so I no longer feel bad about doing it.

For one song he took a capo out of his pocket and said "Shhhh! Don't tell the Jazz Police!" Fantastic performer and a really nice guy.

• Members

I am aware of several "no-no's" in my playing style. However, while some of them were bred from lack of discipline, others allow you to do things that proper technique doesn't. Of course, they hinder, too, so you just need to find a balance--hopefully learn both. Originally I made the open G chord with my thumb, muting the 5th string, which was "bad." Later I learned the proper way, but I actually still use chords from the wrong way all the time--chords that require a free fourth finger.

Besides, if I'm listening to your CD, I won't ever know what the hell you're doing!

• Members

Thumb and three fingers. Pinkie just kind of along for the ride, although I started out in the sixties with the thumb and two fingers while bracing with the pinkie.

Although I just used nails up until about two years ago, I switched to picks for consistency more than anything else, and on the acoustic 12 string at least, it allows a more aggressive and positive sound.

I use a plastic thumbpick and three plastic 'alaska' picks on the fingers, in fact, I'm wearing them right now as I type this post (although I set the guitar aside momentarily).

I almost exclusively fingerpick now. I have two guitars, a Samick acoustic/electric 12 string, and a Standard Telecaster. Both require a different approach, the 12 string requires a lot of attack to hit the octave strings clearly, while the Telecaster is like a car with almost too much power steering, needing a very light 'touch', but a fantastic 'pickin' guitar nontheless. Love them both.

I have taken to always playing them both while in the 'classical' sitting position, I find that I need the guitar to be as solidly positioned as possible to play up to even my mediocre standards, this position seems to be the optimum for 'steadiness', even though I'm really just a 'folky' hick at heart.

• Members

I use all ten fingers on both hands. The thumb is curling up sometimes on the low E string. The pinkies on both hands do a lot. The only downside is that the right hand has no brace. Over time I've sort of braced it with my wrist of my right hand toughing the soundboard above the hole a la Lindsey Buckingham.
One technique I use a lot is to pluck 4-5 strings simultaneously with my right hand instead of chording. Works great for jazz chords and creates a different sound than strumming. More separation and cuttiing sound.

• Members

Why is it bad to bridge the pinky on the body of the gutiar for support? Does it cause the body to resonate less, or is it bad for the right hand?

When Im playing purley fingerstyle, I use the pinky for support. However, when I'm playing with a flatpick in between my thumb/index, i float my hand above the strings and use the middle and ring fingers to pluck three notes at the same time--and sometimes throw the pinky in for 4 note chords...but that is rare.

Archived