Albums should cost a buck... I mean $#1+!

• Members

Why not make all CD'S cost a buck?

Get rid of the expensive jewel case, package them in a paper sleeve like a miniature record. Include an mp3 versions of all the songs for the ipod people as an extra bonus.

Who wouldn't buy their favorite music for a buck. Downloading is a pain in the butt and the quality is low.

As cheap as cd's are to produce why not, CDs are no longer a cutting edge technology why are they still being priced like they were in the early 80's.

America online used to send me like 50 cds a month for free, so you know the production costs on CDs are next to nothing.

I can buy a damn DVD at walmart for cheaper than a {censored}ing record. Movies cost way more to produce than a record, what gives!

If I could go to walmart with 50 bucks and buy 50 CDs of my favorite music, wouldn't the artist and record companies still come out on top? Listen up record companies, you know I am right.

You have a point, albeit a convoluted one.

A buck a CD? No.

Cheaper CDs? Yes.

A little expert marketing would create a better balance between retail price and volume. Find attractive price for a CD, and you will sell more. Charge 18 bucks for a CD and you're not helping your cause in the illegal download battle.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No jaytee123, a buck IS the magic pricepoint.

I mean Wendy's has this figured out. Sell a shake for two bucks and you sell five, sell it for 99 cents and you sell a million. Its a mental thing people see "a buck" and it's like they're not even spending money.

This

• Members

I mean Wendy's has this figured out. Sell a shake for two bucks and you sell five, sell it for 99 cents and you sell a million. Its a mental thing people see "a buck" and it's like they're not even spending money.

This

Are you somehow forgetting that 10 million of 13 million songs online were not sold last year? Where do you plan to warehouse these endless amounts of 1 buck cds?

• Members

This

I think you are totally onto something -- and we can even extend the model with the "biggie" and "meal" upsell

So we bring em in with

"Every CD is a buck"

and then we hit em with the upsell!

"would you like music on that CD?"

(that's extra)

• Members

I mean Wendy's has this figured out. Sell a shake for two bucks and you sell five sell it for 99 cents and you sell a million. Its a mental thing people see "a buck" and it's like they're not even spending money.

This

Um....burgers are something you can eat every day. Once you buy a CD, there is no point in buying it again.

But would you go to Wendy's if you had to go through a stack of hundreds of burgers and taste each one to find one that didn't taste like dog crap? How many times would you do that?

This is what dollar CDs would bring-in fact what it already has brought. You have to wade through mountains of unmarketable crap to find that one diamond in a sand heap. Who the hell has that kind of time or inclination? This is precisely why online music doesn't sell. Going through it all is just so tedious and for the most part unrewarding.

• Members

Um....burgers are something you can eat every day. Once you buy a CD, there is no point in buying it again.

But would you go to Wendy's if you had to go through a stack of hundreds of burgers and taste each one to find one that didn't taste like dog crap? How many times would you do that?

This is what dollar CDs would bring-in fact what it already has brought. You have to wade through mountains of unmarketable crap to find that one diamond in a sand heap. Who the hell has that kind of time or inclination? This is precisely why online music doesn't sell. Going through it all is just so tedious and for the most part unrewarding.

Wow... does this make sense to anybody?

No one makes you wade through crap, don't they label CDs where you live?:facepalm::lol:

• Members

Dibs on a 30' Boston Whaler.

Fine, then I get the 15' montauk to tear up the redfish.

To answer the OP, it's because we bands just want to rip people off, we want to make obscene profits on the backs of those less fortunate, it's because we want to get as much money out of our idiot fans as possible, it's because we are pretentious and conceited enough to charge more than a double cheeseburger at Mickey D's where you work. I'd have no problem selling my band's CD for a dollar if I can get 10 double cheeseburgers for a dollar. But the fact is that if all I make on a CD sale is one double cheeseburger, I'm literally better off panhandling the parking garage downtown.

The OP is a tool or a baiter, and if the latter is true, bravo!

• Members

I think you are totally onto something -- and we can even extend the model with the "biggie" and "meal" upsell

So we bring em in with

"Every CD is a buck"

and then we hit em with the upsell!

"would you like music on that CD?"

(that's extra)

Nice!

• Members

Wow... does this make sense to anybody?

:facepalm::lol:

I wouldn't expect it to make sense to someone who doesn't understand why good CDs can't be made for a dollar apiece, let alone sold for it.

don't they label CDs where you live?

Sure they do. But who has time to wade through thousands of CDs? And I said unmarketable, not unmarked.

Maybe when you get a job you'll understand how many more better things you'll have to do with your spare time than listen to hundreds of 30 second song files.

;)

:wave:

• Members

All of my musical projects make cassettes and cds for nearly no cost and sell them for between $1-$5. Musicians should not be making money on so-called "intellectual property," but on performance and hard work.

I don't listen to artists that sell albums for more than $8 or so.

• Members

All of my musical projects make cassettes and cds for nearly no cost and sell them for between $1-$5. Musicians should not be making money on so-called "intellectual property," but on performance and hard work.

if a band who does not have any experience recording their own material comes to you to track a 10 song record, how much would you charge them?

-PJ

• Members

Musicians should not be making money on so-called "intellectual property," but on performance and hard work.

So songwriters shouldn't get paid? WTF?

Tell you what. Write a hit song, have it get picked up by a few national acts and get tons of radio airplay and sales. And when you don't get paid a dime for it, get back to us on how you feel about making money on intellectual property.

• Members

most music I hear today, I wouldn't even give you a buck for it. Let's make better music first, and see how it works out.

That's the truth.. The problem is that the mainstream loves poppy manufactured bs.. As long as that crap is promoted, real artists that bleed for their music will continue to get buried in dive bars and eventually sell off their equipment, get a real job, and forget they ever thought they would be heard.

Makes me sick thinking that we could have missed the next Bob Dylan while the world was focused on bands like Nickelback, Good Charlotte(and every band that borrowed the whiney vocal stylings of Blink 182), and all the boy bands.

Could a band like Wilco really break through the bs in todays market? Possible, but not likely.

• Members

Makes me sick thinking that we could have missed the next Bob Dylan while the world was focused on bands like Nickelback, Good Charlotte(and every band that borrowed the whiney vocal stylings of Blink 182), and all the boy bands.

It's always been that way. The world was focused on the Beach Boys and the Motown sound of the Supremes and the emergent British invasion while Dylan was coming up. If it weren't for the major labels like Columbia, Dylan would have been just another of 1000 folk singers doing protest songs of the day.

It's not that the business today promotes {censored} because they're greedy. It's that the market doesn't allow development of new ideas or sounds because the profit margin is so small when so much product gets ripped off before it gains any traction.

• Members

Today's Miley/ Hannah is yesterday's Hillary, Britney, Paula Abdul, Tiffany, etc. Today's Jonas Brothers is yesterday's Backstreet Boys, New Kids On The Block, Boys 2 Men, Menudo, etc. Listeners have ALWAYS had to dig for what truly moves them. The notion that somehow the radio is going to deliver something truly transcendent is, quite simply, the lazy way to go about looking for something truly elevational in music.

• Members

Creating intellectual property of a high standard is hard work. If it isn't you are either Bob Dylan or you are doing it wrong :idea:

• Members

If you're talking about anything over 8 bucks in the noise community, I know a guy that buys obscure recordings off of the guy that does Nurse With Wound and pays 400 bucks for them. I still say that if people like it, they'll pay more for it. Most true fans know what the price of art is, and they're not gonna waffle if it's $8.01 instead of $7.99. I strive to keep things low, but at some point, you're losing money, and 8 bucks for a full album--unless your recording costs are nothing and you're making cd-burns or home tape dub runs and/ or selling in mass bulk--isn't reality.

• Members

The once anti-Nashville based Joe Buck gained notoriety as the guitarist of Th’ Legendary Shack Shakers. As Hank III’s villainous sideman onstage, the snarling upright bass player became infamously recognizable. Joe Buck Yourself is now a bona fide evil mother{censored}ing, one man band. Bringing his unique blend of hellbilly punk rock, this ain’t your grandma’s hillbilly music.

And here we have, folks, the reason why music is taken as a joke and/ or spam. Why actually work at fan relations when you can just swing in and advertise?

• Members

the real issue is that people who buy cd's decide what a cd should be sold for...if cd's were a buck or two i would buy 3-5 a week. as it stands i've probably bought 5 new cd's in the last 3 years and maybe 10 used. my friends email me several albums a week however because we just aren't going to pay these ridiculous prices. the point is, the consumer decides what an album should be worth not the artist or the record company.

• Members

Based on the content of this website I assume that the person making this statement is a musician?

Dude, are you kidding?

I guess you have resigned to the idea that you will never be a professional musician yourself.... so, therefore, who cares if musicians are able to make a living off their hard work, right?

Are you for real?

Yes it is true that the record companies are charging too much when the musician probably only gets 10 cents per album (if they're lucky?) from an album you buy for $15.

That is true, but $1 aint gonna do it. How about $7 for an album. That would work for me.

If an album costs more than $15 I won't buy it under any circumstances because that is price gouging plain and simple.

Archived