Albums should cost a buck... I mean $#1+!

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly. I know the bargain bin is usually for remainders, but the idea of tossing some runs of heavily-recouped music into the mix was hardly new 40 years ago.

Sorry - been away on vacation.

I was agreeing with you....

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Take this into consideration (dollar cd guy)

I run an independent record label. Here is a rough breakdown of cost's to produce a full length album, keep in mind also, that as a small label we have to keep cost's way down. So this breakdown is very much on the low end.

Recording, mixing, mastering

$5000.00

Pressing of 10,000 cds (4 panel, full color, shrinkwrap, jewel case. Add a couple thousand for digipacks)

$6000.00

Graphic Designer to design album art, poster art, ads etc.

(you have to promote your release, and that's expensive)

Promotion and advertising

$10,000.00 (very cheap promo/ad budget) includes posters, co-ops, endcaps, postage for mailings, print and online ads etc.

1000 of those cds are used for reviews, in store play copies etc. So we are now left with 9000 cd's.

So on the extremely cheap side, we just paid

$22,000.00 for 9000 cds, and all the stuff that goes with it.

Distributors take around a 40% cut.

We sell all 9000 cds for a dollar

=9000 bucks

Distributor cut

$3,600

Labels cut

$5400

The album is in the hole by $16,600.00

But, you got your dollar album. Congrats, band and label can't afford to release another album, label shuts down, band breaks up.

That is granted that every single one of those 9000 copies actually sold. On the mid level independent label side, selling 9-10,000 copies is considered fairly succesfull.

So, you expect the labels and bands to lose tens of thousands of dollars (or more) on every release, just so you can have your one dollar album.

Real world scenario

ok, say we set a retail price of 10.98 (reasonable price)

release sells all 9000 copies

Gross: $98,820

minus distributor cut

$39,528

minus production/promotion etc.

17,528 profit

Only IF every single copy is sold.

That money comes back from the distributor 3 months later to the label. Minus 15% for returns that they hold for an additional 3 months. Rarely does the label actually see that return reserve back, but best case scenario, say the label does.

Band royalty is 40%

Band gets

$7011.20 profit split between 4 people for several months of hard work.

Label gets

$10,516.80 profit

dont forget mechanical royalties

all in all, the label makes around 9000 after all is said and done, and if they sell completely out of the entire pressing. That's for several months worth of work. That profit made will go towards going back to the studio for a followup album

Both band and label get this money back 6 months after the street date of the album, which is usually around 3-6 months after the album was produced

So all in all, for almost a year the label is in the hole for 22,000 until finally getting paid.

Of course there is digital content and merch and such to help offset some cost's for the label and the band, but for the most part, this is a best case scenario.

It is physically impossible to sell any album for a buck and break even. Even if 100,000 copies are sold.

• Members

The vinyl for my new release--400 copies--cost me 10 bucks per copy to do, between mastering, art design, ink/ jackets (ink hasn't gone down in price), test pressings, plating/ pressing, 140 gram coloured vinyl, and then shipping. And that cost was without paying myself for my time as a producer/ engineer. I usually charge 12 bucks per unit, which is very reasonable for the end audience. But if one wonders why vinyl is 35-30 bucks in stores, it's because shipping costs are high for vinyl, and by the time that everyone takes their cut on distro and markup, bands aren't making much. I can write my time off as a producer and engineer.....they often can't. So you get runs of vinyl that the band charges 18-20 bucks for, and then with distro and store markup, those hit 25-30 bucks.

There's no way to do anything cheap or easy if you want to do it right.

Jesus Christ!

find a new pressing plant/cutter/plater/printer

Seriously? 4000 bucks for 400 copies!

No offense whatsover intended, but that is just completely insane

• Members

Personally this is how I prefer doing it when my EP is up for independent release:

I plan on releasing it online for free download on my own website and various online shops - 5 songs of high quality with album cover, credits etc... this way the fans who want the EP ready for their iPod immediately can get it right away.

Then I'll have as many copies as I feel are needed (something like 200 copies) pressed up and ready to be submitted to labels, bookers, managers, venues etc.

These copies are also up for sale for the fans who wants to support me as an artist by actually buying the EP. To make this offer more appealing I'll include some kind of extra treat when buying a copy.

How to minimize my losses in releasing the EP? I plan on making money off the shows that the release of the EP can get me, more money than the actual sale of the CD ever could.

Cd's are a dieing format, no doubt, times have changed and that's just the way it is. But a lot of people out there still appreciates having the physical copy of a record to hold in their hands, to study the artwork and read the credits etc. So in my opinion you should use both the physical record (only in a smaller amount) and the digital download.

Also the fact is that nobody makes any money off record sales anymore, the "real" money is in doing shows, endorsements etc.

That's just my contribution to the conversation :)

But I think you're right, there's no complete answer or solution. You just have to figure out what works best for you, I guess..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

back in the days were there was just cd's no downloading...how many cd's did people buy and how big was an average music library? 200 songs to a 1000 songs but nowadays the average music library is probably somewhere around 10.000 songs or more. To store 1000 cd's is kind of a big deal, but to store 10.000 songs on your harddrive isn't. The ways of getting music and storing music changed big time. as far as i know the music consumption increased a lot in the last 10 years, i think i saw a number around 260 %.

On a free market, which the music industry is, the price is always going towards zero...or at least the price is always tending to the balance what people need and what is on the market. So the music consumption went up, more music got available because in the internet you can find by far more songs then in a cd-store BUT the price stayed pretty much the same. And as a result the music industry is not trying to satisfy the consumer and tend towards this magical balance of the market but suing its custumers...

i don't think that 1 dollar for a song is justified, it is too high, furthermore i think there is no way that illegal downloading can be stopped, pirates will always find a way and music will always be shared...

i believe this industry has to come up with a newer business model and better prices to win back their custumers. if songs wouldn't cost that much more people would buy music again to the point where noone downloads illegale anymore.

so how much should a song cost then?...you're all welcome to find the right numbers and calculate how much an average music library should cost a customer...

• 1 year later...

Archived