Albums should cost a buck... I mean $#1+!

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You want to know why nobody values music anymore? Because people are downloading it instead of going out to see it live. You are on a music forum. Get off your butt, go see a live band. And when they rock your face off, give the poor bastards $10 for a CD and thank them for injecting just a few hours of life into your poor lifeless carcass. Rinse off. Repeat.

I think some of you have forgotten the live music still exists. This stuff just appears out of nowhere. Each generation passes and we get more spoiled and more out of touch with reality. But boys and girls, you'd better hope your mommies and your daddies get this economy turned around or there's going to be some harsh wake-up calls for all of us. Do you think owing two trillion dollars to the Chinese sounds like a good idea? Didn't think so.

Pay people for their hard work. Stop stealing from the poor in the name of giving the finger to the rich for Christ's sake.

I like this post, especially the last sentence. But I'm not sure I agree with the statement that live music attendance has dropped due to illegal downloads. In the Boston area (certainly a ripe scene and the last to see any negative live music trends from the rest of the country) I think live music attendance is pretty healthy. The kids (and we're neck deep in them here) who illegally download go out on the weekends with their fake IDs and go to rock clubs and get trashed. Actually, the dance clubs in Boston have taken a massive hit, not the rock clubs. But that's not due to illegal downloading either.

• Members

Pay people for their hard work. Stop stealing from the poor in the name of giving the finger to the rich for Christ's sake.

:rolleyes:.

You do realize that musicians themselves don't make much out of each CD sold? And that most people will still pay to see their favorite live band if it comes to town? Music isn't all about money... (50 Cent and Kanye seem to think so.) Rather, it's about expressing yourself, having fun and making money while doing it. Kanye and 50, along with most modern "popular" artists use autotune, have lyricists, and don't play instruments themselves. How much talent does something like that really take? Why should one be rewarded for not doing anything?

• Members

You do realize that musicians themselves don't make much out of each CD sold? And that most people will still pay to see their favorite live band if it comes to town? Music isn't all about money... (50 Cent and Kanye seem to think so.) Rather, it's about expressing yourself, having fun and making money while doing it. Kanye and 50, along with most modern "popular" artists use autotune, have lyricists, and don't play instruments themselves. How much talent does something like that really take? Why should one be rewarded for not doing anything?

\You try "not doing anything" like these guys. Having a marketable appeal is every bit as important as skills. Other wise Danny Gatton would have been bigger than Madonna.

As far as "musicians themselves don't make much out of each CD sold?". Maybe you can explain then how stealing from them makes it any better. "Hey, since you're only getting two bucks a CD you might as well just give it away." WTF?

• Members

\You try "not doing anything" like these guys. Having a marketable appeal is every bit as important as skills. Other wise Danny Gatton would have been bigger than Madonna.

As far as "musicians themselves don't make much out of each CD sold?". Maybe you can explain then how stealing from them makes it any better. "Hey, since you're only getting two bucks a CD you might as well just give it away." WTF?

Have you seen Little Wayne play guitar? He is getting paid for that. I never justified not paying for CD's instead of stealing them. I said the majority of the earnings don't go to the musician.

You are also born with "marketable appeal". It takes no talent...

• Members

You are also born with "marketable appeal". It takes no talent...

It doesn't matter. It is rare and therefor has value in the marketplace.

Talent is as common as dirt. You can swing a dead cat in any direction and hit at least 3 musicians that could play on major label records.

Talent with charisma is far more rare. And the reality is a little bit of talent with a large amount of charisma is far more sellable than a large amount of talent with no personality behind it.

Is it fair? Probably not. But it's the reality.

• Members

The cost of making a CD is not in manufacturing or the materials. It's in the production of the songs.

How do you propose to pay the recording studio, the engineers, the mixing and mastering labs, the producers, the bands, the songwriters, the publishers, the distribution and promotion, the art work, etc etc etc?

That's because most movies you get on DVD have already gotten most of their money back on theater runs, where several hundred thousand people paid upwards of 8-9 bucks to see the flick before it ever hits the stores.

Agreed.

But one thing I can relate with regarding the original poster's complaint is the cost of downloading songs where there is no money tied up in discs or cases and the quality is inferior to a CD. Add the protective measures in with that and that's why I'd rather go without certain music if I can't find the discs for it or at very least have no desire to pay for an entire disc's worth of music.

• Members

But one thing I can relate with regarding the original poster's complaint is the cost of downloading songs where there is no money tied up in discs or cases and the quality is inferior to a CD.

The cost of the discs and jewel cases is the least expensive part of producing a CD. On a major label release they probably cost about 2o cents.

• Members

[quote name=Even when bands I like put out albums I don't like' date=' I buy them anyways. Because I believe in them and believe that support goes a long way, even if it's just 10 or 20 bucks or whatever. And bands that i've stuck with through the thick and thin, it becomes that much more of a reward to realize that you were supporting the team when they lost some games.[/quote]

Great message. Enough to uplift the "almost-down" spirit of musicians. If only people think like you, then and there, good music will proliferate like mushrooms. But since, its the reverse, huhummmmm, I think we should make our own music nyahhhh...:p

• Members

The cost of the discs and jewel cases is the least expensive part of producing a CD. On a major label release they probably cost about 2o cents.

I think there's a little more to it also: shipping/distribution, paper liner/artwork -- and superior sound quality. And a complete disc is something that can be sold again on ebay, to record stores, pawns, etc., if need be. Not for much money in most cases (with the exception of rarities), but it's at least something. There is no value in an mp3 beyond the person who downloads it.

Not that I'm trying to argue with your former points or that people should just get for free what they don't want to pay for, but I do believe selling mp3's for the same price basically as the physical products of CD's is a bit of a ripoff.

• Members

:rolleyes:

You do realize that musicians themselves don't make much out of each CD sold?

This argument has to die.

When you sign a contract with a label, they recoup all the cost of producing and marketing the album. You won't make a dime until its all repaid.

Sell CDs helps recouping thoses costs. When you don't sell CDs, less money gets in the system, but the label still want to see the money. So they will take it on live shows, merch, and other things.

That's why you see more and more 360 deals these days.

• Members

but I do believe selling mp3's for the same price basically as the physical products of CD's is a bit of a ripoff.

I don't know anyone who is selling MP3s for the cost of a physical CD. I can get entire major label release CDs on itunes for ten bucks. In most cases that's like 90 cents a song. I can get singles for 79-99 cents. I don't see that as expensive in the least especially since I can get them sitting on my ass in my pajamas in own home.

I have to laugh when people will pay wll pay $1.69 for a bottle of Pepsi, 3 bucks for a latte or $1.39 for a frigging candy bar but a song they can own, listen to, learn and keep for years is too much at 99 cents.

• Members

I don't know anyone who is selling MP3s for the cost of a physical CD. I can get entire major label release CDs on itunes for ten bucks. In most cases that's like 90 cents a song. I can get singles for 79-99 cents. I don't see that as expensive in the least especially since I can get them sitting on my ass in my pajamas in own home.

I have to laugh when people will pay wll pay $1.69 for a bottle of Pepsi, 3 bucks for a latte or $1.39 for a frigging candy bar but a song they can own, listen to, learn and keep for years is too much at 99 cents.

That's because it's shoplifting not to pay for the soda, latte, or candy bar. At least until they become digitized

• Members

the aluminized piece of plastic that is a cd costs a few cents

• Members

the aluminized piece of plastic that is a cd costs a few cents

Well duh.

And a bottle of Pepsi is 10 cents worth of soda in a 5 cent bottle.

What you're ignoring is production costs. Unlike most musicians on HC, most people in the music industry are in it to make a living, just like any other industry. If you could get the recording studios and engineers, producers, studio musicians, contract lawyers, publishers, photographers and graphic artists, distributors, publicists and marketers to all work for free then yes, you could sell music for a few cents.

People on this forum cannot possibly be this ignorant about how business works. :facepalm:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Of course, downloading is only a solution for people who are willing to put with:

1) Sub-standard audio quality

2) A lack of physical ownership of anything (actual ownership of playback and usage rights)

3) The risk of losing something you have paid for due to a media failure

1. Ever heard of Lossless Codecs?

2. So.....my hard drive doesn't exist physically, and is just a figment of my imagination?;)

3. CD's can also break due to scratching and carelessness. And Media failures dont matter if you have a hard drive backed up :) (which most people don't do, unfortunately)

• Members

1. Ever heard of Lossless Codecs?

2. So.....my hard drive doesn't exist physically, and is just a figment of my imagination?
;)

3. CD's can also break due to scratching and carelessness. And Media failures dont matter if you have a hard drive backed up
:)
(which most people don't do, unfortunately)

don't act like you know what that means. If I buy a download, I did not just buy a hardrive. If I buy a CD, I've bought the CD. go take your hard drive into a used record shop and try to sell your music to them.

• Members

"The whole point of music is to at least make some money."

Call me naive or starry-eyed but I refuse to believe that the whole point of music is to make money. I'd say that the whole point of the music
industry
is to make money.

:facepalm:

I thought it was to get chicks.

• Members

you people are not talking about the same thing!

1. if you are a small time band, not going past self-promotion and "touring" out of your own pocket, recorded yourself and did your own artwork = give it away, or at cost, or for cheap download....OR FOR A BUCK!

2. you are on a actual label who paid for your recording in a actual studio. they pay for your touring and take a cut of everything....put yourself in the label's shoes = you want your money back! CD's in this case should cost $7-$15

it's truely pointless to fight over this and not even be on the same page.

• Members

you people are not talking about the same thing!

1. if you are a small time band, not going past self-promotion and "touring" out of your own pocket, recorded yourself and did your own artwork = give it away, or at cost, or for cheap download....OR FOR A BUCK!

2. you are on a actual label who paid for your recording in a actual studio. they pay for your touring and take a cut of everything....put yourself in the label's shoes = you want your money back! CD's in this case should cost $7-$15

it's truely pointless to fight over this and not even be on the same page.

Go back and read the original post. Since he's talking about CDs sold at

WalMart, one could correctly assume he's talking about major release CDs. To my knowledge, you can't buy homemade CDrs from your local small time 10 song original band at WalMart.

• Members

Talent is as common as dirt. You can swing a dead cat in any direction and hit at least 3 musicians that could play on major label records.

Talent in playing an instrument, yes, indeed, a swung dead cat could certainly hit at least 3 musicians who could be sidemen on a major label release.

Songwriting talent (as in the music, not necessarily the lyrics) I think is much more rare and has very little relation to being a very good instrumental player. As is a fantastic, engaging vocalist - one who has a great melodic ability (when doing their own music), phrasing, personality, and singing tone. (and that chrasima thing too)

• Members

Just think, when ISPs are required to shut down the sources of illegal downloads, sales might triple or quadruple, and the top selling album of the year will go from the current 3 million copies to the old fashioned (circa 1998 for example) 10 million to 15 million copies.

Until then it needs to be every musicians' goal to leap the chasm between the myspace/illegal downloading crowd and the iTunes crowd. There are a LOT of people who DON'T download illegally because they don't give a crap about the price and they prefer the convenience and legality of iTunes. Of course, this crowd is not full of early adopters which make up the audience of most people on this forum. So, it will be a challenge but people here need to step up and take that challenge.

• Members

Talent in playing an instrument, yes, indeed, a swung dead cat could certainly hit at least 3 musicians who could be
sidemen
on a major label release.

Songwriting talent (as in the music, not necessarily the lyrics) I think is much more rare and has very little relation to being a very good instrumental player. As is a fantastic, engaging vocalist - one who has a great melodic ability (when doing their own music), phrasing, personality, and singing tone. (and that chrasima thing too)

I couldn't agree more. That's what I was trying to say. Being a great musician is no guarantee that you'll be successful. It's much more important to be an engaging and charismatic performer with a decent voice. Being a great songwriter goes without saying.

The issue is marketability. Talent by itself isn't usually marketable.

• Members

I couldn't agree more. That's what I was trying to say. Being a great musician is no guarantee that you'll be successful. It's much more important to be an engaging and charismatic performer with a decent voice. Being a great songwriter goes without saying.

The issue is
marketability
. Talent by itself isn't usually marketable.

Exactly. Does anyone know if Paul Anka could rip it up on piano? I have no idea. All I know is that he wrote some incredible songs and had a pretty good singer sing them.

Archived