Larrivee club

kwakatak

• Members

SD-60 and a parlour hog, with a rosey parlour on order.

tick... tick... tick...

weird, I know. a battle ship, and a couple of jetskis.

I posted a time or two over there on the Larrivee forum, but a lot more here.

then last weekend I was seduced by a 00-60 on a road trip to Cleveland. I resisted the temptation. Great shop there called Heights Guitars. If anybody's in the neighborhood, pay 'em a visit. Nice folks. They have an appreciation for the right stuff. Fine inventory.

• Members

I've got a satin mahog parlor, love it. I keep it in Eb for fingerstyle blues - bending and whatnot.

Queequeg, how do you like the SD-60? I've played both the 50 and 60 and think I'll go for one or the other at the end of the summer ($$$ needed to be saved).

I think I liked the 60 better, it was clearer, more note separation, very piano like bass tones. I love the 1 7/8 neck a lot.

• Members
Originally posted by Loud Librarian

I've got a satin mahog parlor, love it. I keep it in Eb for fingerstyle blues - bending and whatnot.

Queequeg, how do you like the SD-60? I've played both the 50 and 60 and think I'll go for one or the other at the end of the summer ($$$ needed to be saved).

I've only had it a short time. It is far-and-away the largest and the loudest guitar I have. While everyone talks about the differences in tone from mahogany to rosewood, I am not someone who can really hear a lot of distinction, myself, and I prefer the looks of rosewood over mahogany when coupled with a spruce top. (I have a few CFM hogtops and an old Gibson, too.) But to answer your question, I really like this SD-60. It sounds like a million bucks, and I like the nut width, although I have to warm up for about 5 minutes to get accustomed to it, esp. after playing one of the parlours. I recorded Ave Maria on it Wednesday night. When comparing it to my custom CFM 0-18 or custom 000-16 (both in the same price range as the SD-60) it's louder, with more low end (as one might expect with a dreadnaught). Visually, its very beautiful. Herringbone is the nicest I've seen, and the pyramid bridge is gorgeous. I dig the nice volute on the back of the neck. Groovy slothead with ebony buttons.

mm hmm!

• Members

Cool, thanks for your thoughts. The SDs are awesome, big bass yet a very balanced sound. I went back and forth for a long time with the 50, the 60, and other models like the Ls, Ds, and OMs.

For open tunings (G, D, C), the SDs just sounded the best due to the clear but massive low end. I just got a National tricone and the wide neck is very similar to the SDs.

Could the SD series be the ultimate fingerpicking open tuning guitar? (baritones are cool but not the same)

• Members

Originally posted by ESL94

Hope to part of the club by the end of the year:

:thu:

My choices:

L-03

D-03

OM-03

but which one????
:confused:

Definitely the L-03. It's the best of everything: fingerstyle, strumming, flatpicking.

• Members

Cool, thanks for your thoughts. The SDs are awesome, big bass yet a very balanced sound. I went back and forth for a long time with the 50, the 60, and other models like the Ls, Ds, and OMs.

For open tunings (G, D, C), the SDs just sounded the best due to the clear but massive low end. I just got a National tricone and the wide neck is very similar to the SDs.

Could the SD series be the ultimate fingerpicking open tuning guitar? (baritones are cool but not the same)

I do a lot of open tunings and it's a great guitar for this. Sounds like we have much in common in our playing. that massive low end you get from the National is very present here with this Larrivee. I have a National Delphi (steel), Dobro Hound Dog (wood-bodied), plus a 33H (chrome over bell brass) & a Johnson Chinese import bell brass tri-cone. But I need the parlours for the quick, delicate little pieces which require a light touch and fast fingers. None of my resonators have a nutwidth like the SD-60's 1 7/8.

• Members

Sweet, 57GLDTP!!! Did you by chance a/b the SD-50 to the 60? If so, what were your thoughts on the differences, if any?

That's a seriously awesome guitar!!

BTW, here's my parlor

DSC02170_edited-1.JPG

Thanks. I have never actually played an SD60 yet. I bought the

50 used from GC when I saw it & a buddy of mine picked it

up & strummed it. It sounded so rich, full & LOUD that I knew

I had to have it. I wasn't even looking for a guitar that day but...

......well, you know how it goes.

I justified the purchase by telling myself that I actually NEEDED

a Mahogany bodied acoustic............(well I did):D

I have to admit that it does make me want to find a 60 & see

how different it is. I imagine it is probably a bit warmer. That

would be about the only difference as far as I can imagine.

Nice parlor. Very cool figuring on that top.

btw, cool handle. My wife is a librarian. She's not loud though.

(at least not in the Library.);)

57GT:)

• Members

Kwakatak,

Thanks for the sugestion!

Just found a place in Dallas to try some different models.

I want to hear the different tones b/t the Rosewoods & Mohoganys.

Will be taking my road trip in July.

• Members

Originally posted by ESL94

Kwakatak,

Thanks for the sugestion!

Just found a place in Dallas to try some different models.

I want to hear the different tones b/t the Rosewoods & Mohoganys.

Will be taking my road trip in July.

Good luck! Beside the L-03 and OM-03R I'd also recommend you check out the LV-03R(E).

Archived