Crossing over : acoustic to electric

kwakatak

• Members

Lately I've been taking more of an interest in my electric guitar. It's not that I'm getting tired of playing my acoustic so much as I just want to branch out and hopefully keep from falling in a rut. I've been playing for over 20 years easy, both electric and acoustic but it's always been one or the other exclusively. Each time, I've switched when playing one became stale and therefor not much fun. This time I feel the beginnings of a slowdown in my playing and I want to head it off.

What I didn't remember was how hard playing electric is for me. I find myself having trouble getting a "feel" of the instrument and I have to work harder at it than I do with the acoustic. I just no instinct for fiddling with amp and effects settings. I've also found that the electric is unforgiving when you have any degree of sloppiness in your technique. What's really different this time (and bear with me but it ties in with the last point on technique) is that since I've given up playing with a flatpick for precision picking on my acoustic I'm having even more difficulty making the transition and flubbing notes all over the place.

So to try and solve this difficulty I've been lurking and occassionally posting over at the electric guitar forum. It ain't quite home to me (like the acoustic guitar forum here is) and in many ways I'm actually a bit of a newbie again. In fact, I must admit that I also do not use the search button either! :o

To their credit, nobody has flamed me so much - the perks of being a senior member I guess - but I cringe every time I hit the post button over there.

Then yesterday a couple of things happened that caused something to click. Somebody posted a link to a video of Dire Straits playing "Telegraph Road". Meanwhile, somebidy else over at APM posted their recording of a Mark Knopfler tune in the recording section. That's when I realized that Knopfler is pretty much using the same fingerpicking technique for each instrument. It's also not very different from my own technique, though much more refined.

So I'm gonna give it a go with fingerstyle on my Strat for when I want to get fancy with it. I'm not gonna completely scrap the flatpick but I think I'm gonna use a thinner/nylon pick from now on when I do need to use one for strumming or rhythm work.

I tell ya, playing guitar is great and I'd recommend diversificiation to anyone willing to stretch themselves. Not only in the application of technique or choice of instrument, but in listening tastes as well.

So without further ado, I'd like to post a few questions to you guys:

1: How many folks here play both acoustic and electric guitars?

2: Do you employ a different technique for each?

3: Do you find one easier to play than the other?

4: Which one do you think suits you better?

5: which artists do you try to emulate with each instrument?

Finally, for those folks who I've seen here and over at the EG forum, I'd like to ask a question: how does the "atmosphere" over there compare to here at acoustic forum? I feel that it's a little more laid back here but I get the impression that they think there's nothing but geexers over here.

Funny, but most of the Geezers hang out at Cool Jam and from what I can tell they're more focused on electric guitars too. :confused:

• Members

I play both, I generally use my telecaster for strumming heavy rhythm or for flat picking and my acoustic for everything else.Though there are exceptions to that rule. I find it harder to play fingerstyle on electric and it doesn't sound right to me either.

But for bar cording and playing up and down the neck the electric is a lot easier ( faster neck; thinner strings).

:thu:

• Members

1. I play both, maybe 60-40 in favor of the acoustic. That could change without notice.

2. These days I am fingerstyle on the acoustic, and pick/hybrid picking on electric. I recently tried a few days fingerstyle on the electric, and decided to go back to hybrid at least for now.

3. I find them about the same difficulty.

4. Hard to say. I think my strongest point is probably my lead tone, which favors the electric. On the other hand, if I was asked to play for some folks so they could hear what I do, I would probably whip out the acoustic and the raggy blues fingerpicking tunes I have been working up.

5. On electric, more Garcia and Knopfler than anyone else. On acoustic, lots, lately all those old-timey country blues cats.

As far as the atmosphere at EG, it is a little rowdier than here. The AG forum is much more on topic too.

HTH :)

Fingerpick and finger strum on acoustic.

Flatpick on the electric. I favor a snappy attack and my teles.

My heroes are from Santana to Buckingham to Knopfler.

On acoustic, just about anybody who plays on the Taylor Wood n Steel Cd's!

EG is alot more fast paced than AG.

• Members

I have a Gretsch 6120AM I pull out of the closet now and again. I'll tell ya, Kwak, you just named one of my favorite electric players; Mark Knopfler. Also David Gilmour. Neither one of them a speed demon. But both get that killer tone. Listen to On an Island (Gilmour's new release). Knopfler just released a duet CD with Emmylou Harris. Both guys are tone masters, to my ears. then I like to lighten things up with some Brian Setzer or Stray Cats. Part of me died the day Stevie Ray was killed in 1990. Hit me the same as when JFK in '63 and John Lennon in '80 died. It was as if I knew these people.

Geeze, thanks for bumming me out, Kwak!

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

:confused:

1. I do play electric, but pretty rarely. Usually as an additional-track instrument on recordings. For me, electric guitar is very much like a 12-string. It's nice to have when I want it, but it's not at all my go-to instrument. At heart I am an acoustic player. After many years I am convinced of this.

2. I never have felt like I really knew what I was doing on electric--probably because I play it with a method/style that was developed on acoustic.

3. Easier to produce satisfying sounds on acoustic. Easier to be "expressive" too. Of course the action and "speed" of my electric much lower/greater.

4. Acoustic, hands down.

5. Electric: would love to emulate Knopfler, but he's light years beyond me. Peter Buck much more my influence for his great rhythmy stuff. Acoustic: I think I try to emulate just about everybody who does things I can't do, which is just about everybody. No one in particular is a sylistic influence.

• Members

Just to mix it up a bit, here are some other electric and acoustic fingerstyle players who I dub as my current "guitar heroes":

1: Chet Atkins - seems like he's inspired everybody who's anybody.

2: Earl Klugh - mostly an electric player in the vein of George Benson but he recently put out an all-acoustic album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRxq7mSC1SE&search=Earl%20Klugh

I'd also add Jeff Beck, though I can't recall ever hearing him play acoustic.

Conversely, Eric Clapton is primarily a flatpicker on electric whereas he's a strong fingerstyle player on acoustic.

BTW, Queequeg - I also look back at SRV with a sense of loss, but at the the time of his death I was still a metal head. His one-time MTV appearance that featured "Pride and Joy" with a Guild 12 string was awe-inspiring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-zScl01VRk&search=Stevie%20Ray%20Vaughan%20unplugged

• Members

1) I play mostly acoustic at home. When I play elactric at home I don't bother plugging in. If I plug in I don't use any effects whatsoever, have never spent money on a pedal. Just my tele and my souped up '59 tweed twinn (I like it so much I had a replica built, way cheaper than buying another, if you can find one). My electrics often sit from the time I get home from a gig to the time I leave for another gig which can be weeks, months. I have no trouble going into a gig cold. After the first song or two I'm accustomed to the feel of the electric. But I do try to get a little practice in before gigs.

2)Yes. Mainly because the string guages are different. 9-1/2 thru 46 on electric, 11-50 or 12-54 acoustic.

Bending: With electric I'll bend as much as two whole steps. With acoustic, never more than 1/2 step. (I swore I'd never reveal my secret but...) By bending only 1/2 steps I create some interesting situations on the f/board. I bend any and all notes, up to, down from, which often means putting your fingers down on notes/frets that don't belong in the scale. Take this and apply it to electric guitar and you've created a monster.

Chording: Same chords with a few more barre chords tossed in for electric.

Picking: About the same. The differences arise from string guage and music styles. I strum harder on acoustic, don't feel the need to on electric. I don't do much fingerstyle on electric, if any. I may pluck a few strings simaltaniously. I don't do windmills or the duckwalk with my acoustic though.

3)Yes. Electric. The action is unbelieveably close, the strings are lighter. But I find fingerstyle much "easier" on acoustic because the strings are heavier. When plucking, I like the feel of heavier strings.

4) Niether. I find electric is more expressive, but acoustic is homier.

5) I try not to emulate anyone.

Kwak, I don't see it as a "gotta be one or the other" kinda thing. If I'm in the mood for electric, I play electric.

• Members

I have a 73 Tele Deluxe that has been pretty much sitting in it's case since 73. Like you, I feel kind of ham fisted when I pick it up. It has 2 humbuckers, a Strat size peghead, and a maple fingerboard with kind of Les Paul Standard/SG style frets. Kind of a weird one for Fender. I can't sing at all and don't have time to play in a band, so it just sits. Maybe if you post some interesting solo fingerstyle stuff on yours I will give it a go. Been thinking about putting it on Ebay, but just can't quite do it. Always wanted to master Little Wing on it before I sold it.

• Members

Originally posted by Dave W.

I have a 73 Tele Deluxe that has been pretty much sitting in it's case since 73.

Keep it. Its a "closet classic!" :D

Seriously, that sounds like a cool guitar with some collector appeal, even if you don't play it a lot.

• Members

Originally posted by tiger roach

Keep it. Its a "closet classic!"
:D

Seriously, that sounds like a cool guitar with some collector appeal, even if you don't play it a lot.

Yeah, it's a beauty. I also have the Vibrolux Reverb I bought with it. Sounds great, but at 60 some pounds with 2 10's it's a pain to tote around. Wish I had bought 2 Princton Reverbs instead, and left one in the box.:)

• Members

1. I play both and would say I divide my time evenly between the two.

2. I tend to change my playing technique more based on the song I'm playing, rather than the type of guitar I'm playing.

3. Again, it depends on the song. A song with a lot of string bending is easier on a 6 string electric than it is on a 12 string acoustic.

4. I'm equally bad on both. :D

5. I play all different types of music: folk, country, rock, blues, etc. About the only style that I don't play on both acoustic and electric is folk.

:wave:

• Members

I would play acoustic like electric, I love teles' and used to have a 59 esquire and a a 76 les paul. That's partly why I love magnetic pickups and setup my guitar like an electric with extra lites. Still like the acoustic vibe

• Members

What I didn't remember was how hard playing electric is for me. I find myself having trouble getting a "feel" of the instrument and I have to work harder at it than I do with the acoustic. I just no instinct for fiddling with amp and effects settings. I've also found that the electric is unforgiving when you have any degree of sloppiness in your technique. What's really different this time (and bear with me but it ties in with the last point on technique) is that since I've given up playing with a flatpick for precision picking on my acoustic I'm having even more difficulty making the transition and flubbing notes all over the place.

Then yesterday a couple of things happened that caused something to click. Somebody posted a link to a video of Dire Straits playing "Telegraph Road". Meanwhile, somebidy else over at APM posted their recording of a Mark Knopfler tune in the recording section. That's when I realized that Knopfler is pretty much using the same fingerpicking technique for each instrument. It's also not very different from my own technique, though much more refined.

So I'm gonna give it a go with fingerstyle on my Strat for when I want to get fancy with it. I'm not gonna completely scrap the flatpick but I think I'm gonna use a thinner/nylon pick from now on when I do need to use one for strumming or rhythm work.

I tell ya, playing guitar is great and I'd recommend diversificiation to anyone willing to stretch themselves. Not only in the application of technique or choice of instrument, but in listening tastes as well.

Finally, for those folks who I've seen here and over at the EG forum, I'd like to ask a question: how does the "atmosphere" over there compare to here at acoustic forum? I feel that it's a little more laid back here but I get the impression that they think there's nothing but geexers over here.

Funny, but most of the Geezers hang out at Cool Jam and from what I can tell they're more focused on electric guitars too.
:confused:

There are tons of electric players that use fingers instead of a pick. Many blues players use both (Buddy Guy for example). You need a pick if you are going to play fast paced hard rock / heavy metal with palm muting. Otherwise, you should be fine with your fingers.

Personally, I think it's best for you as a player if you train yourself to use a pick. It will give you added dimension to your guitar playing on electric and acoustic. For an example, look at that John Mayer guy everyone loves to hate: He uses fingerstyle and flat picks; acoustic and electric. He does it all with equal skill. Clapton does the same thing.

1. I play both (currently don't own an electric - first time in 22 years).

2. I use the same techniques on both - just different degrees of it. I tend to use fingerstyle more on the acoustic and picks more on the electric. Sometimes acoustic songs require a falt pick and palm muting. For instance, Jack Johnson employs palm muting and picking very similar to playing electric (the song "Taylor" comes to mind).

3. I have a much easier time on the electric. Mistakes are easier to cover with bends, slides and distortion. Unfortunatley, after many years of playing electric I found myself bored. I started listening more and more to acoustic guitar music.

4. At this point in my life, I feel that the acoustic suits me better. I'm tired of messing with loud tube amps (tube amps sound their best when they are crankled up a bit and solid state amps don't do it for me) and effect pedals. Acoustic is far more straight forward and no nonsense. I can play anytime without worrying about making my kids deaf or waking them up when they are sleeping. I can drag an acoustic anywhere inside or outside of my house with everything I need in my pocket (tuner, capo and picks).

5. SRV, Jimi Hendrix, and Eric Clapton (yes, I'm a Strat guy) on electric. Eric Clapton's Unplugged performance on MTV made me interested in playing acoustic guitar. Although, I can't say I have a particular acoustic player I try to emulate. I guess I try to emulate the style of whatever song I'm learning / playing. Last night it was Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters "What if I Do" [the new issue of AG Magazine]) and Jack Johnson ("Taylor"and "Flake").

• Members

Sold off my electric stuff. There's a certain mind-set, or feeling, that belongs there that I no longer have. Don't know why - it wasn't a conscious choice I don't think - so I guess it just went away.

When I did have a Strat I never used a flatpick. I just never could make music with one but still had a lot of fun anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by Sweb

Sold off my electric stuff. There's a certain mind-set, or feeling, that belongs there that I no longer have. Don't know why - it wasn't a conscious choice I don't think - so I guess it just went away.

When I did have a Strat I never used a flatpick. I just never could make music with one but still had a lot of fun anyway.

I sold all of my electric gear too. It was a conscious decision on my part. I was spending too much time screwing with amps and efffects.

• Members

Originally posted by Dave W.

I have a 73 Tele Deluxe that has been pretty much sitting in it's case since 73. Like you, I feel kind of ham fisted when I pick it up. It has 2 humbuckers, a Strat size peghead, and a maple fingerboard with kind of Les Paul Standard/SG style frets. Kind of a weird one for Fender. I can't sing at all and don't have time to play in a band, so it just sits. Maybe if you post some interesting solo fingerstyle stuff on yours I will give it a go. Been thinking about putting it on Ebay, but just can't quite do it. Always wanted to master Little Wing on it before I sold it.

Sorry, no fingerstyle stuff recorded yet - though I may redo "True" with a little bit of t-bar dips and vibrato. All I have is a snippet of SRV's "Chitlins con Carne"

http://media.putfile.com/Chitlins-snippet

Yeah - part of why I quit was that I got stuck in the stereotypical SRV rut. :o

I'd much rather play like Mark Knopfler, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton or Earl Klugh but it's gonna take a little more practice time than I'm used to investing. Like Hudman said, I'll have to play with the amps and effects along with fretboard exercises. I'm also thinking of picking up a compressor pedal to help out with the distorted tone.

• Members

Like Hudman said, I'll have to play with the amps and effects along with fretboard exercises. I'm also thinking of picking up a compressor pedal to help out with the distorted tone.

That's the electric guitar slippery slope. I think I will buy a [fill in the blank] pedal to get the [fill in the blank] tone. It's a never ending quest. The Holy Grail of guitar. The quest for tone.

It wore me out. I can feel the SRV rut. I felt the same way. It sucks when your favorite players are dead (SRV and Hendrix). It's hard to put out new material when your dead.....

• Members

Originally posted by Hudman

The Holy Grail

Pedals are right up there with elixirs in my book. I get more than enough crunch with a tube amp that's got pre and post volume controls. If it's a tube amp with a tube rectifier, the rectifier acts sort of like a compressor; it sags under the load, softens the attack some.

I own the Holy Grail of guitar amps: '59 tweed twin. Got it for $200, put about $500 into it. Not for sale. I'm quite happy with the tone I get.

I would however, use a stereo echo or chorus with two amps.

• Members

Originally posted by JasmineTea

Pedals are right up there with elixirs in my book. I get more than enough crunch with a tube amp that's got pre and post volume controls. If it's a tube amp with a tube rectifier, the rectifier acts sort of like a compressor; it sags under the load, softens the attack some.

I own the Holy Grail of guitar amps: '59 tweed twin. Got it for $200, put about $500 into it. Not for sale. I'm quite happy with the tone I get.

I would however, use a stereo echo or chorus with two amps.

That's cool. My problem is I like too many diffferent electric guitar styles to make it with a single amp without a bunch of pedals. I play everything from country to heavy metal. I need crystal clean to super dirty crunch.

The last amp / pedal rig had the following: a Fender Blues JR amp with delay, phaser, two different distortion pedals (ran in series), chorus and a wah pedal. It was a great setup for blues and classic rock (Pink Floyd for example). It was a little bit lacking for heavy stuff. I could pull it off with my fat Strat using the humbucker.

• Members

Well, FWIW I only want one pedal: the MXR Dyna Comp. I'm happy with the clean channel tone on my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe but the distortion channels have too much "snap". I asked around over at Cool Jam and those folks (BlueStrat and a couple others) told me that a cheap compressor pedal should do the job.

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/MXR102.htm

Of course, I'd also like a wah peddle and a chorus pedal and a ....! :freak:

• Members

Well, FWIW I only want one pedal: the MXR Dyna Comp. I'm happy with the clean channel tone on my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe but the distortion channels have too much "snap". I asked around over at Cool Jam and those folks (BlueStrat and a couple others) told me that a cheap compressor pedal should do the job.

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/MXR102.htm

Of course, I'd also like a wah peddle and a chorus pedal and a ....!
:freak:

Exactly. :D

Archived