Songs that you'd like to learn

kwakatak

• Members

In keeping with the "what's the last song(s) that you learned" thread, I'll go one further:

What songs are you interested in learning but never had the time or skill to?

Here's my current list:

Rain Song - Led Zeppelin

Old Love - Eric Clapton

Romeo and Juliet - Dire Straits

Georgia On My Mind - Martin Taylor's arrangement

Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Tommy Emmanuel

Endless Road - Tommy Emmanuel

Maria Carolina - John Williams (I've gotten close but no cigar)

La Madrugada - Chet Atkins, written by Jerry Reed (again close but I still play it too sloppy to claim that I've mastered it)

Anything by Pierre Bensusan (his technique is too fluid to try to emulate)

Anything by Stevie Ray Vaughan (again his technique is too much for me to keep up with)

• Members

Moonlight Sonata, some other Beethoven stuff.

I found a copy of the original soundtrack for The Wizard of Oz, lifted a bunch of stuff from there, "ding dong the merrio, sing it high, sing it low..." kick-ass number, that one is.

• Members

If you end up learning "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", check out the version by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. Hawaiin guy with an amazing voice and great take on that song.

I'm always working on songs by Chris Smither to improve my fingerstyle. I've got down Link of Chain and Chrocodile Man. I'd like to be able to play Never Needed it More and Confirmation. He makes them sound so sweet and easy... :D

Also for Stevie, try Life By the Drop. Great tune for acoustic and not too difficult.

• Members

Bouree in Em, I learned it from an acoustic version of Guitar Player mag about 15 years ago, the Tab must be out there somewhere - (if you like Tab)

it's an awesome tune with lots to learn, and it's mighty fun to play

it's a Bach tune............

• Members
Originally posted by dadgad7

Bouree in Em, I learned it from an acoustic version of Guitar Player mag about 15 years ago, the Tab must be out there somewhere - (if you like Tab)

it's an awesome tune with lots to learn, and it's mighty fun to play

it's a Bach tune............

Funny, I know a guy who can play it, but he can't play anything els.

• Members

Re: SRV:

Yeah, I actually know Life By The Drop and Pride and Joy but I was thinking along the lines of his longer instrumental pieces like:

Little Wing

Lenny

Riviera Paradise

Wall of Denial

Chitlins Con Carne

I know a few licks from each but I can't seem to put 'em all together to make something that last more than a minute at most.

re: Bach's Bouree in Em

I actually used to know that one but I forgot it. It was never 100% smooth anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by bigby

I'm always working on songs by Chris Smither to improve my fingerstyle.

I'm currently defiling "The Devil's Real." Simple progression, but rhythmically challenging - for me, anyway. When I feel I've done enough damage to that song I'll go after his version of "Cold Trail Blues." I never heard of the guy until a few months ago when he was on the cover of AG. Since then, every time I hear one of his songs I wish I'd written it.

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

In keeping with the "what's the last song(s) that you learned" thread, I'll go one further:

Here's my current list:

Rain Song - Led Zeppelin

Old Love - Eric Clapton

Romeo and Juliet - Dire Straits

Georgia On My Mind - Martin Taylor's arrangement

Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Tommy Emmanuel

Endless Road - Tommy Emmanuel

Maria Carolina - John Williams (I've gotten close but no cigar)

La Madrugada - Chet Atkins, written by Jerry Reed (again close but I still play it too sloppy to claim that I've mastered it)

Anything by Stevie Ray Vaughan (again his technique is too much for me to keep up with)

Old Love is a really cool tune on the acoustic.

There are a ton of Led Zeppelin songs I want to learn but I'm too lazy to screw with all of the different tunings Page uses.

Speaking of Led Zeppelin - I'm going to start a new thread about Robert Plant.....(right now)....

• Members

Wow ... Good topic.

I play a couple of the tunes listed here already, but not many. "Lola" by the kinks was one of the first songs I learned. I also do "Romeo and Juliet" by Dire Straits, but I play it in D instead of F.

I guess the one I'd really like to learn to do properly is "Classical Gas" by Mason Williams. I screw around with it but can't really do it justice. I have the one-guitar only version he recorded and that's what I'd be aiming for.

Ahhh ... If only I had the time ...

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

Here's my current list:

Kwak-

Two of my favorite "jazzier" SRV tunes, Lenny & Riviera Paradise are surprisingly easy to play and readily available (published) in tab.

Best on electric because they both rely on whammy bar, but do well on acoustic and caused me to learn to bend several strings at once on acoustic to emulate this tremolo effect as best I could on acoustic.

later I bought a Gretsch 6120 with a bigsby, but I still play them on acoustic and bend the heck out of a handful of those PBs.

• Members

Originally posted by Queequeg

Kwak-

Two of my favorite "jazzier" SRV tunes, Lenny & Riviera Paradice are surprisingly easy to play and readily available (published) in tab.

Best on electric because they both rely on whammy bar, but do well on acoustic and caused me to learn to bend several strings at once on acoustic to emulate this tremelo effect best I could on acoustic.

lter I bouhgt a Gretsch 6120 with a bigsby, but I still play them on acoustic and bend the heck out of a handful of those PBs.

Hmmm, I guess I got a little off-topic then because I haven't really attempted them on acoustic. I agree that they both require a little tremelo bar usage (just some dips here or there with actual vibrato done with the left hand) but it seems as if I didn't install the strings on my Strat correctly because any t-bar use knocks 'em out of tune. I do like to do Little Wing and Pride and Joy on acoustic though.

• Members

Howdy guys and girls (this is my first posting here...).

"Rain Song" is highly recommend learning! :thu:

I can still remember when I first stumbled upon tabs for this maybe 15 years ago. This was on a newsgroup IIRC

Archived