Tuned my Seagull in DADADD!

Misha

• Members

I downloaded the tab for the song My Sacrifice, from Creed on Powertab.net. It looked pretty easy but then, I noticed that it was in Open D5 "DADADD"!

Usually, I just decide to learn another song instead of tuning my guitar in an altered tuning. This time, I decided to go for it and... Wow! It's a lot of fun! :p

I wanted to sell my Seagull S6 + Folk and keep my Cort Earth Custom only (because I don't like rosewood fretboard anymore, I'm too spoiled with my Cort's great ebony fretboard) but I may change my mind!

Do you know other songs in DADADD?????

:wave:

• Members

Years ago, I used to avoid songs in different tunings because I thought it was too much of a hassle. Eventually I discovered that there were a lot of songs I liked that were written for DADGAD. Now I keep one of my guitars in DADGAD all the time. I've never used the DADADD tuning, though.

• Members

Originally posted by Misha

I wanted to sell my Seagull S6 + Folk and keep my Cort Earth Custom only (because I don't like rosewood fretboard anymore, I'm too spoiled with my Cort's great ebony fretboard) but I may change my mind!

Do you know other songs in DADADD?????

:wave:

Interesting tuning. Why don't you like the rosewood fretboard? I own 2 of each and both play wonderful.

• Members

- Hey DonK, I think I'm going to keep a second acoustic too, finally!

-

Originally posted by bigmo66:

Why don't you like the rosewood fretboard? I own 2 of each and both play wonderful.

I make a lot of "squeek" with the rosewood fretboard - I'm too noisy - it is much better with the ebony fretboard.

The rosewood fretboard seems too dry??? The ebony fretboard is so easy to play. Is it possible to oil my rosewood fretboard?

• Members

Originally posted by DonK

Years ago, I used to avoid songs in different tunings because I thought it was too much of a hassle. Eventually I discovered that there were a lot of songs I liked that were written for DADGAD. Now I keep one of my guitars in DADGAD all the time. I've never used the DADADD tuning, though.

Andy Summers recently said in an AG interview that he always figured alternate tunings were for guys who just hadn't learned a whole lot of chords... Something like that. Don't know that I agree, but I smile every time I think of that comment (because I am alternate-tuning challenged [a.k.a. lazy]). :D

• Members

DADGAD isn't open D, open D has an F# instead of a G. I played a song at my show tonight in open D. That's a fun tuning.

You can figure out what a tuning is by the notes in the tuning. For instance, the note "G" isn't in the D major triad, so DADGAD isn't open D. DADADD would be "D5" because the only notes in "D5" are D and A. And so on and so forth.

I too, am far too lazy to bother tuning things differently. But I really wanted to play this song and my Sigma needed new strings, so I just changed the string and tuned them to DADF#AD. It was fun.

Ellen

• Members

I think you should keep the Seagull, regardless of your tuning preferences. I have a Simon and Patrick (sister company of Seagull) and it's truly the best $350 guitar I've ever played. Really plays like a guitar at least twice its cost. Love the Canadian luthiers.

• Members
Originally posted by kwakatak

BTW - isn't open D tuning technically DADF#AD?

Just a guess, but I think any tuning that spells a chord would be called by the chord name. So open D would be F#ADADF#, or drop the F# on the bass to a D...? I don't know, I rarely use other tunings.

• Members

This might suprise you, but I love DADGAD tuning !!!!

try that DADF#AD with a slide - awesome!

Jimmy Page is the one who turned me onto DADGAD long ago

it's a very interesting tuning, you can do lots with it

- I think it actually is called a modal tuning because it's neither major or minor until YOU decide which to play in.

I love alternate tunings, I end up coming up with stuff that I NEVER would have otherwise!

for me, originality is important.

other than that, I've never tried DADADD, sounds like it might be cool for an insturmental or two, then it might get a little repetitive.

I'm gonna try it out though, thanks for the tip!:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by knockwood

Andy Summers recently said in an AG interview that he always figured alternate tunings were for guys who just hadn't learned a whole lot of chords... Something like that. Don't know that I agree, but I smile every time I think of that comment (because I am alternate-tuning challenged [a.k.a. lazy]).
:D

the strings will be at different tensions in an alt. tuning so it won't sound the same

• Members

Check out the Goog Goo dolls. I think he uses that tuning on a

couple songs.

Edit: The Goo Goo Dolls use D D D D D B on Iris. They like to use strange tunings....

String squeek isn't caused by the fretboard. It's caused by the strings.

Archived