OT-Snow Shoveling

theGOOCH

• Members

Why does everyone run out and bust their ass to shovel their driveway when it snows? What's the point? I just drive over it and guess what? It eventually melts.

Because it creates a slip and fall hazard for my wife, my kids, the mail man, the paper boy and people that come over to visit.

• Members

Because it creates a slip and fall hazard for my wife, my kids, the mail man, the paper boy and people that come over to visit.

I can understand the fall hazard for your family, but as for others...

Did you realize that in some states you are liable for injuries resulting from slips on your driveway if you shoveled, but not if you left it alone because it's in its natural state and therefore an "act of God"?

We drive into our attached garage and my kids are both under 2 (and don't go out alone) so I don't have to worry about them...and to hell with anyone else. I don't want anyone else coming down my drive and to my door anyway. Why do you think I have 2 Dobermans?

On a somewhat related note I got a GMC Envoy XL over the summer to replace my Jeep Cherokee. I wanted the extra room for the family and dogs, but didn't expect it to be as good in the snow as the Jeep. I was wrong! This thing kicks ass in the snow. We got about 7 inches of snow last night on top of the 2 we already had and I went to a huge unplowed park to test it out. I was pretty damn impressed

• Members

When I was a kid, we lived down the street from an attorney. He never shoveled his walk due to that "act of God" thing. My dad slipped on the ice of the attorney's walk, and of course, the attorney claimed no liability.

If he was responsible, he would have shoveled. But since he didn't shovel, he wasn't responsible. It doesn't make sense and hardly seems a Godly act.

I shovel my walk to make it easier for others to walk safely.

• Members

I made the decision not to blow the snow in a section of my driveway on the side of my garage last week after a light snow fall. A couple days later we got more snow. While walking across the previous unblowed section I slipped and took a hard fall on my right wrist, elbow and shoulder. The old layer of snow turned to ice.

I thought I broke my wrist, but it's just sprained. I'm a 37 year old guy in fairly decent shape. If I can fall, anyone can. That sold me on keeping the snow off my driveway.

I have owned several 4X4 full sized trucks and 4X4 SUV's over the last 10 years. They go like hell through the snow. Stopping is still difficult, but's it's the "other guy" you got to watch out for. I routinely witness 4X4 vehicles doing the speed limit or better during slick conditions. Their false sense of security makes them dangerous for other drivers on the road.

• Members

I'll also add that my neighborhood has no sidewalks so that isn't an issue. I can understand shoveling those if you have them so people can safely walk on them, but my mailbox is at the street and I don't want any unannounced visitors

• Members

"I have owned several 4X4 full sized trucks and 4X4 SUV's over the last 10 years. They go like hell through the snow. Stopping is still difficult, but's it's the "other guy" you got to watch out for. I routinely witness 4X4 vehicles doing the speed limit or better during slick conditions. Their false sense of security makes them dangerous for other drivers on the road."

I agree. My wife took mine to work yesterday and today and I had to remind her that 4WD doesn't help you stop any better, in fact it's a hell of a lot heavier than her car so it will take longer to stop, but she won't get stuck or fishtail while accelerating

• Members

Exactly! :thu:

My wife was always on me to keep the driveway and front walk clear in case anybody slips and falls and decides to sue us. Now that my wife is pregnant I make sure to keep it 100% clear. We also have several therapists who come to our house to help with my son's speech & developmental delays. They're usually toting a bunch of developmental toys, puzzles and supplies so I make it a point to keep everything 100% slip-free.

Fortunately for me, my driveway gets a lot of afternoon sun so it melts quickly. Still, I make it a point to scrape off as much snow or slush off the concrete as possible because I know that it will turn to ice once the sun goes down. That's especially true of the snow that has been compacted by tire treads. I got one of those push-shovels so it takes me about 5 minutes to do, followed by a liberal spread of rock salt so that there's nothing left to freeze.

So now even though my driveway is still white, it ain't snow.

• Members

I'll also add that my neighborhood has no sidewalks so that isn't an issue. I can understand shoveling those if you have them so people can safely walk on them, but my mailbox is at the street and I don't want any unannounced visitors

OK, I can see why you can get away with letting the snow melt. I grew up on a street with mail boxes on the road and no sidewalks.

Now I live in an actual subdivision with sidewalks and a mail slot on my house. The mailman and paper boy come up on my porch. I also have a 1st grader and a 5th grader running in and out of the house all day. They have friends coming over constantly too. Top it off by adding a pregnant wife to the equation....

Snow removal isn't an option for me. I don't give a {censored} about being sued. I am insured up to my eyeballs. I don't want anyone getting hurt. My daughter broke her arm falling off the monkey bars when she was in 1st grade and she broke her leg riding her bike in 2nd grade. I don't want to deal with any more casts if I can help it.

I also take care of 2 of my elderly neighbor's driveways and sidewalks when it snows. I do it because their grown children (in their 40's) are too busy to bother with them. I would hate to see an 81 year old woman fall a break her hip because her driveway is like a skating rink. I also don't want to see a 76 year old man have a heart attack shoveling snow.

• Members
I also take care of 2 of my elderly neighbor's driveways and sidewalks when it snows. I do it because their grown children (in their 40's) are too busy to bother with them. I would hate to see an 81 year old woman fall a break her hip because her driveway is like a skating rink. I also don't want to see a 76 year old man have a heart attack shoveling snow.

This is first class stuff Hudman. You may borrow my signature if you like. We'll make it "one of" or something. It also brings to mind why I left Alaska when I did.

• Members

Great thread. And timely. It's been so frickin' cold for so frickin' long here in IA that the snow has been there forever. Usually, here on the prairie, the snow blows in and then blows away (or melts)--not big accumulations. This stuff's getting old enough to be getting dirty.:p

I solve the driveway problem by not having one. We live in an 87-year old house with a detached garage that isn't used for vehicles (some day: my music studio!). We park in the street. The challenge: move the car BEFORE the plow-dude buries it. I'm pretty sure he enjoys doing that (I know I would). But wouldn't you know it: a corner lot. That means I shovel three times as much sidewalk as a most of my neighbors.:mad:

As for vehicles, my Nishiki mountain bike does pretty good unless it's over a foot thick. Tends to interfere with pedaling at that point.:freak:

Oh yeah: looking out on all that snow inspires me to go play my ACOUSTIC GUITAR. There! Squarely on topic at last!:D

• Members

My next door neighbor was in the nursing home for 5 years, but kept her house. I used to shovel her walk after mine just to keep the sidewalk clear, and to make it look like her house wasn't vacant. Finally she sold her house on an able bodied guy last year.

Before the snow fell this year, my neighbor on the other side took ill, so now I do his walk. At least I'm in shape!

• Members

Great thread. And timely. It's been so frickin' cold for so frickin' long here in IA that the snow has been there forever. Usually, here on the prairie, the snow blows in and then blows away (or melts)--not big accumulations. This stuff's getting old enough to be getting dirty.
:p

I solve the driveway problem by not having one. We live in an 87-year old house with a detached garage that isn't used for vehicles (some day: my music studio!). We park in the street. The challenge: move the car BEFORE the plow-dude buries it. I'm pretty sure he enjoys doing that (I know I would). But wouldn't you know it: a corner lot. That means I shovel three times as much sidewalk as a most of my neighbors.
:mad:

As for vehicles, my Nishiki mountain bike does pretty good unless it's over a foot thick. Tends to interfere with pedaling at that point.
:freak:

Oh yeah: looking out on all that snow inspires me to go play my
ACOUSTIC GUITAR.
There! Squarely on topic at last!
:D

Damn, you're hard-core! The last time I was on my bike was 5 months and 15 pounds ago! :o

People parking in the street is a pet-peeve of mine though. When people in our neighborhood (which is on top of a hill) park on both sides of the street there's only room for one lane - on a two way street. In snowy/icy roads that's not a good thing.

• Members

This is first class stuff Hudman. You may borrow my signature if you like. We'll make it "one of" or something. It also brings to mind why I left Alaska when I did.

My dad passed away in Feb. 2001 (heart attack - age 52). My mom got remarried in October 2006 and moved out of state. Up until this winter, I used to load the snow blower up in my truck and make the trip over to her house after I finished mine and my neighbor's snow. My snow removal time got cut in half. :thu:

• Members

Man, I find it depressing as hell that people can hardly take a breath anymore without worrying about some bull{censored} lawsuit coming out of nowhere and taking down your life. When a simple, decent thing like clearing a sidewalk or driveway so people don't bust their ass is compromised by this kind of madness, I think we've pretty much lost it.

One of the benefits of living in a NYC apartment - there aren't many - is that snow is always somebody else's problem... unless I slip and bust my ass in it. One of the other benefits of living in NYC is that there's a pharmacy on just about every corner, so it's easy to find a neck brace on the way to court... :D

• Members

Man, I find it depressing as hell that people can hardly take a breath anymore without worrying about some bull{censored} lawsuit coming out of nowhere and taking down your life. When a simple, decent thing like clearing a sidewalk or driveway so people don't bust their ass is compromised by this kind of madness, I think we've pretty much lost it.

One of the benefits of living in a NYC apartment - there aren't many - is that snow is always somebody else's problem... unless I slip and bust my ass in it. One of the other benefits of living in NYC is that there's a pharmacy on just about every corner, so it's easy to find a neck brace on the way to court...
:D

I pay the legal mafia (insurance company) extortion money every month to protect me from the suit sharks (lawyers).

• Members

Yeah, I hav'nt shoveled snow or cut grass since '99, but back then I prettymuch went with Gooch's philosophy. The place was across from the RR tracks, a scarry looking but safe nieghborhood. The plumbing and heating shop and the bodyshop and the machine shop did'nt give a rip what we did. The mailman never complained.

Man, that old place was zoned for business...

• Members
Man, I find it depressing as hell that people can hardly take a breath anymore without worrying about some bull{censored} lawsuit coming out of nowhere and taking down your life.

Once upon a time, long long ago, in a place far far away, I took the LSAT. I was accepted at a couple of tier two law schools. But after talking to a couple of working lawyers I found out that I wouldn't be able to take the loss of public asteem. Everybody loves an electrician.

Archived