OT-Snow Shoveling

theGOOCH

• Members

I also take care of 2 of my elderly neighbor's driveways and sidewalks when it snows. I do it because their grown children (in their 40's) are too busy to bother with them. I would hate to see an 81 year old woman fall a break her hip because her driveway is like a skating rink. I also don't want to see a 76 year old man have a heart attack shoveling snow.

You're a class act, Hudman...Salute! :thu:

We don't get much snow out this way (about an inch a year...maybe!), but elderly folks down the road need to have their gutters cleaned out 3-4X a year, so my youngest son and I do that for 'em...no good reason for a couple of 80-yr-olds to have to climb up on ladders!

• Members

I'm currently interviewing for a position in the Atlanta, Ga area (Live in Chicago now and midwest my whole life). Snow lost all it's charm for me quite a few years ago. I have grown to hate the severe winters.

I grew up in Atlanta--so for me snow was heaven-sent. (Any of y'all living in Atlanta for Snowjam '82?) We prayed for snow each winter because a half-inch of it would shut down the whole metropolis.

The native Iowans I love among nowadays think I'm crazy because I still find snow fascinating and beautiful. I even like shoveling it, within reason, though is hard on the back.

And yes Kwak, I do bike in it. We made the decision to not replace my car when it died last year, and are now a one-car family. Sometimes this is a pain (as when it's -2 degrees on my morning commute as it was today), but it is good for me, I guess (you guessed it--I am the one without the car!)

But hey: less money in cars, more left for guitars!

• Members

Don't get me wrong, MM - I kind of envy you for your determination.

Around here I'm kind of at the edge of the Pittsburgh suburbs and a region of farmland to the south. For cycling there's a converted rail line that is supported by a non-profit organization who takes good care of it. It's not 100% complete so you have to brave some back roads though, which is the only time my Trek's nubby tires will hit asphalt. I will never venture closer to civilization than that because the area is full of uptight SUV drivers on their way to and from the local shopping malls.

BTW - I ride a Trek 4900 that I got about 4 years ago. For some reason I chose to get a bicycle instead of a new guitar. Oh well, at least I've been getting some use out of it.

Archived