One month until the HCAG album project...

kwakatak

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK. I have quite a few excuses myself:

I'm a procrastinator.

I've had the flu for it seems like two years.

I still haven't figured out how to use the black box (but I'm working on it).

I hate deadlines.

I'd like to do one cover and one original, but I'm just not feeling anything to write.

Other than that I'm ready to go. No problem extending the deadline as far as I'm concerned. And I will say that I take some comfort in knowing I'm the only one who is not really ready.

• Members
I'm not sure how that works at this point. I don't know if we are doing a double CD or a box set.
:D

IMO, the way that works is: If a person can hangout here, likes hanging out here, and demonstrates they're not a troll, I don't see why they can't contribute. Time is the factor though, not post count. Or, quality, not quantity.

Sorry I did'nt articulate this idea earlier. I gotta lay off the booze...But, makes sense, right?

• Members

IMO, the way that works is: If a person can hangout here, likes hanging out here, and demonstrates they're not a troll, I don't see why they can't contribute. Time is the factor though, not post count. Or, quality, not quantity.

Sorry I did'nt articulate this idea earlier. I gotta lay off the booze...But, makes sense, right?

Sounds good to me.

• Members

no problems by me...

• Members

For those who forgot, Whalebot offered to gather all of the material together and put it on a disc. What happens next is not yet decided.

I sent Whale 3 tunes (I'm leaving it to him to pick the better 2 of the 3)

I don't believe that I am in the league of the rest of you guys, but this is supposed to be a group experience, not the next Thriller.

Holy smokes you are really on the ball! I've got nothing! I mean, I've got stuff I already recorded I could give to Bot but I sort of wanted to do some new stuff. I've got a cool tapping song (GASP TAPPING GASP) that I'm doing for a show on Wednesday but I don't know if it would translate well to an audio recording (like, without a visual).

I've got two new songs recorded since I finished my (poorly made) CD, one's on my website called "Building Rome Today." The other is all acoustic (the percussion is me hitting the head of my banjo!) but I kind of want to move stuff around before I get it uploaded.

Ellen

• Members
Holy smokes you are really on the ball! I've got nothing!

Ellen

When you are totally unencumbered by things like musical ability and concern for quality you find that it is a lot easier to get things done. :D

Seriously though, my understanding was that this was going to be a way that we could share our music and in that way share the good feelings and comaraderie of this forum. It will be nice to hear you guys play and to play for you. When we read each other's posts, now we will have a musical reference. This shouldn't be a high pressure enterprise. Of course others may have a different opinion

• Members
When you are totally unencumbered by things like musical ability and concern for quality you find that it is a lot easier to get things done.

Seriously though, my understanding was that this was going to be a way that we could share our music and in that way share the good feelings and comaraderie of this forum. It will be nice to hear you guys play and to play for you. When we read each other's posts, now we will have a musical reference. This shouldn't be a high pressure enterprise. Of course others may have a different opinion

I like how you phrased this thought! :thu:

Let this be a fun thing... :)

• Members
When you are totally unencumbered by things like musical ability and concern for quality you find that it is a lot easier to get things done.

LOL! I guess that's what my hang-up is. I have no qualms about posting quick and dirty MP3s but there's just something daunting about actually having something go on disk. That being said, I suppose there's a couple of tracks that I'd be okay with submitting.

I'm also looking at this as an opportunity to stretch myself though. Up until recently I was focused on being an acoustic fingerstyle player but now I'm trying to branch out and utilize my dormant electric skills and also find a way to mix them all together. I'm even thinking about "borrowing" my son's little lady-bug drum and percussion set. The snare's not too shabby once you get past the plastic drum sticks! :freak:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I may be trying to do too much too fast. Beside working on my technical skills, I also have this crazy dream of actually writing songs - with lyrics no less! I used to love creative writing but I suck at lyrics, so instead I'm trying my hand at arranging multiple tracks in Audacity. Let me tell you, it ain't easy either! :mad:

• Members

In that case, where's Whale? I'm ready.

• Members

I'm having a trouble finding the required quiet time I need to record. I was going to do it in the basement after the family is asleep, but the furnace is running too often (we had a serious stretch of cold weather over the past 10 days or so). You can hear the furnace in every test clip I made so far. I play too loud to record at night in my normal spot on the main level in my home. I can do it, but I have to use an ultra light touch and I think it makes my playing suffer.

I have a far easier time recording in the summer when everyone is outside. I'm going to keep at it. With any luck I will have a song or two by the March deadline. If not, I will catch you guys next time around.

• Members

I'm having a trouble finding the required quiet time I need to record. I was going to do it in the basement after the family is asleep, but the furnace is running too often (we had a serious stretch of cold weather over the past 10 days or so). You can hear the furnace in every test clip I made so far. I play too loud to record at night in my normal spot on the main level in my home. I can do it, but I have to use an ultra light touch and I think it makes my playing suffer.

I have a far easier time recording in the summer when everyone is outside. I'm going to keep at it. With any luck I will have a song or two by the March deadline. If not, I will catch you guys next time around.

A local musician I sometimes go and see put out an EP that he recorded in his basement. It didn't sound too bad but you could still faintly hear the furnace or water trickling down the pipes in the background. He decided to play on that and titled the EP "The Drain Tapes"

• Members

A local musician I sometimes go and see put out an EP that he recorded in his basement. It didn't sound too bad but you could still faintly hear the furnace or water trickling down the pipes in the background. He decided to play on that and titled the EP "The Drain Tapes"

I would have to call mine "Can you hear the furnace blowing?" :)

• Members

I'm facing the same challenge. Plus, I'm a complete RecTard. Very recently purchased a Boss Micro BR and am still rather dim on how to use the thing. I keep inadvertently recording over old tracks when trying to record new tracks... :freak:

Then there's the Brooklyn Noise Conspiracy. Upstairs neighbors doing what sounds like rearranging furniture on pogo sticks, dog barking in courtyard (playing in the background as I type), the occasional helicpoter or fire truck... I have enough trouble with red light fever to begin with (my hands literally shake), but when it feels like a track is going pretty well and I get close to its end, I start thinking "Please, just no {censored}ing noise for another 30 seconds..." and then I'm really all over the place. First thing to go, always, is my rhythm.

Nevertheless, I got a decent - for me - cover down about an hour ago. Figured I'd try to record a few for the likely event that I can't pull some originals out of my ass by the end of the month. Recorded voice and git simultaneously through the built-in mic... Only noise interruptions are the natural noise of the recording device itself, and one of my cats, who decided he wanted to harmonize a bit in the last few seconds...

• Members

What's a good resource of information on recording tracks like these you all are planning. For those submitting guitar with voice do you just set up a single mic and go for it? I've read hereabouts about mic position and what not but not a whole lot about other technique.

• Members
What's a good resource of information on recording tracks like these you all are planning. For those submitting guitar with voice do you just set up a single mic and go for it? I've read hereabouts about mic position and what not but not a whole lot about other technique.

Doug Jones (aka LittleBrother) put a good tutorial together a little while back over at www.AcousticPlayerMagazine.com a little while back:
http://www.acousticplayermagazine.com/apm001/techtalk001/homerecord1_001.html

• Members

I hold a PhD in RecTard. Today I loaded up on some kind of cold pills and went for it. I did exactly the same thing Knock noted about reaching the very end - literally at the last chord - and used the wrong one. I gave up after 15 attempts - one the victim of a passing train - and decided I gave it an honest go. I already have some stuff ready to give to whomever is going to compile this cd. I just wanted to get this new one down.

• Members

I'm facing the same challenge. Plus, I'm a complete RecTard. Very recently purchased a Boss Micro BR and am still rather dim on how to use the thing. I keep inadvertently recording over old tracks when trying to record new tracks...
:freak:

Then there's the Brooklyn Noise Conspiracy. Upstairs neighbors doing what sounds like rearranging furniture on pogo sticks, dog barking in courtyard (playing in the background as I type), the occasional helicpoter or fire truck... I have enough trouble with red light fever to begin with (my hands literally shake), but when it feels like a track is going pretty well and I get close to its end, I start thinking "Please, just no {censored}ing noise for another 30 seconds..." and then I'm really all over the place. First thing to go, always, is my rhythm.

Nevertheless, I got a decent - for me - cover down about an hour ago. Figured I'd try to record a few for the likely event that I can't pull some originals out of my ass by the end of the month. Recorded voice and git simultaneously through the built-in mic... Only noise interruptions are the natural noise of the recording device itself, and one of my cats, who decided he wanted to harmonize a bit in the last few seconds...

I can feel your pain. I came up with the tune below while noodling away on my old L-03. I thought it sound pretty good, so I decided to record it and work on it later. During the recording, my wife walked in the room coughed and walked out (thanks honey). At the end of the track, my dog runs in the room (hardwood floors) and barks. All of it happens in less than a minute. No telling what will show up if I record a 4 minute clip. :freak:

http://media.putfile.com/Summer-Breezin-rough-cut

Archived