Did fender ever make an acoustic known as the "stacaster"

!i!i!i!i!i!

• Members

someone on craigslist just posted an ad selling their fender starcaster for $150.00...but its listed as an acoustic. at first i assumed this was in reference to the electric hollowbody starcaster(which for 150.00 would be a STEAL)...but the whole acoustic thing bothers me. Now i called him up and told me it was an acoustic but it sounded like the call went to a pawn shop and the guy had no clue what he was talking about. Could anyone tell me if fender ever made an acoustic under the "starcaster" name? thanks.

• Members

The Starcaster is the low budget Fender Strat copy that is or was sold at Target, Costco & such places. They came with a little SS amp, tuner & other accoutrements for about $250.00.

However, there was a semi-hollow bodied guitar that was also called a Starcaster. If that's the one, $150.00 is a good price if it's in any kind of decent condition.

383px-Starcaster.jpg

• Members

I played one in a store. I was pretty astonished that Fender would want their name on it. Maybe they are hit or miss (like some other cheap China guitars) and some are ok, but the one I played fell into the category of guitars that I term "not even bad". The intonation was so bad you you just couldn't tune it to play.

My sample of one review. I'm referring to the acoustic. They also had a Starcaster electric, but I didn't try it.

Scott O

• Members

They make a Starcaster acoustic under the Squier name. I saw one at Target a while back: not something I'd pay $150 for; here's one on eBay:

That's the el-cheapo acoustic with preamp "package", not the semi-electric.

The original Starcaster was Fender's attempt at that type of guita, semi-hollow body, and was, for the most part, somewhat of an abysmal failure though some of them played pretty well.

I'd give a buck 'n a half for one in decent condition. If the neck plays well and intonation is good the pickups and pots can always be changed out.

To answer the OP's question, if it's the Starcaster acoustic package, RUN!

Archived