Learning Guitar (3rd lesson)

Amanda-Jane

• Members

Well... another lesson done.. OH BOY!

This has been such a week!.. first the news of pregnancy (yippee) and then news of my grandmothers passing:cry: (which is very sudden and sad. I spoke to her at 3pm and everything was good she was planning christmas and congradulating me. Then at 4am only 13 hours later.. I got the call that she passed away. She was only 69)

Last week I went into the lesson having accomplished the tasks he set before me and had "looked ahead" a bit so I was prepared for the next lesson.

This week I worked hard on the volume of stuff he gave me, but never did look ahead at the music (just to much stuff going on)

I did well with what he presented me for this week, playing the songs from the week before faster, but the 5th and 6th string still are a challenge.. of course we moved on from there...

This week we worked on the same chords but he wrote out some RIFFS for me. (using the chords notes in the chords G, D7 C) It sounds very bluesy..I like that. A something something penatonic scale...lol..

It is first finger, 3rd fret, 6th string

4th finger, 6th fret, 5th string etc..

This is hard!!!.. I am not finding the 5th and 6th strings as easy to play as the lower strings on the fret board.. and having the first finger on one fret and each finger following on its own!!!:eek: the pinky just don't play dat!..lol

I was getting the hang of it by the end of the lesson.. so hopefully by the end of the week it will sound like music and not just random plucking..lol

I have definite callouses developing on my fingers too.. proof that I have been practicing

Well that is the update..

Take care,

Amanda

• Members

Commiserations A-J. It is so sad to lose a loved one but remember: length of life is irrelevant; it is quality of life that is important.

You learn those scales - it is one of the best ways to develop finger strength and flexibility and also enhances their independent action. And a few passing notes between chord changes always sounds good.

• Members

Hi Amanda;

I am sorry to hear about your grandmother passing as I lost my dad to cancer this past June and he too was only 69 years old.

I am glad to hear you are making progress with your lessons. The Pentatonic scale is a very "bluesy" scale and when you get it to work you will be able to use it in a lot of tunes.

The more you practice the stronger your fingers and pinky will get and you will surprised at how quickly you will get along if you keep practicing. I am glad to hear your callouses are getting tougher...that does mean you are practicing a lot :)

Good work!!!

• Members

Hi Amanda,

Sorry for your loss.

If you are struggling with the fingerings, you could try a capo on maybe the 5th fret. The frets will be closer together and it may be easier for you. Once you get comfortable there, start moving the capo down a fret at a time until you can take it off and still maintain your comfort level. It will come.

• Members

Grandma is still listening, keep it up!

Related to your lessons and the Gut I book by Hal, I too hit a block at the fifth and sixth strings. I found private lessons that start in Dec so I kinda stop using the book and am now focusing on clean chord sounds and transitions. I can play E, Em, E7, C, G (3x), Am, A7, A, D, Dm, D7, and some stuff thats just no right:freak:

My question to you is, what is the relationship behind learning the notes shown in the book for the sixth strings and finger or strumming style of guitar? Is this strickly for learning musical notes or is this a prefered method of getting the finger/strumming technique? I appreciate any feedback.

• Members

Sorry to hear about your grandmother as well. It's good to know that you had a good relationship with her and that your last memory of her is a good one though. You're much luckier than many people I've known - myself included.

I'm of the mind that even though they're gone from this life, they're still in our lives through our memories. I believe in honoring one's forebears too. Many people do this by naming their children after a favorite grandparent or aunt or uncle.

As a musician I also think it's nice to write songs about them. I know that you're just starting lessons but IMO that gives you time to really put some thought into the non-music part of such an ode. I'm currently trying to do something like that concerning a departed family member and so far the music seems to be taking a back seat to the lyrics, which are so far not musical in nature. :confused:

BTW - good luck with the lessons. It sounds like you're making leaps and bounds with a good teacher. I remember my 3rd lesson: introduction to the G string. I was just a kid and that was before the current sensibilities in lingerie so it was pretty boring. :o

• Members

Grandma is still listening, keep it up!

Related to your lessons and the Gut I book by Hal, I too hit a block at the fifth and sixth strings. I found private lessons that start in Dec so I kinda stop using the book and am now focusing on clean chord sounds and transitions. I can play E, Em, E7, C, G (3x), Am, A7, A, D, Dm, D7, and some stuff thats just no right:freak:

My question to you is, what is the relationship behind learning the notes shown in the book for the sixth strings and finger or strumming style of guitar? Is this strickly for learning musical notes or is this a prefered method of getting the finger/strumming technique? I appreciate any feedback.

Its too new to me to know if it is a prefered method of fingerpicking..

however, if you know the notes in the scales, and in the chords, you can use that information and apply it to the fret board in different octaves allowing you to be able to improvise....

I think that is the goal...but again.. 3 lessons in.. Its more about technique and simple notes- the reasons behind it come later I imagine.

I am also given alot of hand written stuff by the teacher I have for finger excercises and riffs to play. He uses the book as a base of information and adds to it.

• Members

Amada-Jane, let me add my condolences. And with the chords you already know you can play (and sing) for your Grandmother - here is a version of Amazing Grace.

Thanks Freeman,

I actually have amazing grace in my book.. and I am to learn it this week. Both Chords and picking...

I have played it for her, "thinking of her" while I play and sing.

• Members

Thanks Freeman,

I actually have amazing grace in my book.. and I am to learn it this week. Both Chords and picking...

I have played it for her, "thinking of her" while I play and sing.

I do a lot of back country skiing and two years ago we had an "incident" - a full burial in a medium sized avy for a long enough time that could have (should have) been fatal. It wasn't, but that night we were drinking a lot of single malt and doing a lot of introspective thinking - I was playing quietly in the corner. The (almost) victim turned to me and said "would you play Amazing Grace for me?" - I know a slide version in open G where you can really make the slide cry. Seem like the right song.

The next day we went skiing

• Members

Well... another lesson done.. OH BOY!

This has been such a week!

I have definite callouses developing on my fingers too.. proof that I have been practicing

Well that is the update..

Take care,

Amanda

Thanks for the inspiration A-J.Please keep reporting on your lessons,it sounds like your teacher knows his stuff.Seems like he gives you a nice mix of easy and difficult to keep you pumped up,and knows to push you just enough.I'm not taking lessons so I need to know how the other half lives.

It's funny that some things I tried about a week ago,that seemed near impossible seem like "baby stuff" a week later.You're probably gaining a lot of dexterity and flexibility now,cuz I know I am.

I'm getting the callouses too.My left fingertips are tingly all the time,and when I forget,I think there is a piece of tape or something stuck to my fingertip,LOL!

Sorry to hear about your grandma.I lost mine 3 years ago,we were close and I think about her every day.I know she would have loved to hear some nice fingerpicking guitar playing.I'm working on it.

• Members

My condolences as well.

Lucky you... you got a lesson in this week. I have to wait until next week. But, I have been practicing constantly. I am developing calluses. I know all the chords that my instructor gave me to work on... Em, Am, C, G and D. I just can't switch very well between anything and G, and anything and D. But it will come. He had told me to pick a song to work on. I do have an ear. And being an old fart... I picked Heart of Gold. Just so happens... Em, C, D, and G are in that tune. Looks like I'll be playing a song faster than I thought, huh? I've been practicing playing it for my chord practice. I've also been doing stuff like this...

I----4-----3-----2---------0---------2---I

I-------------------------------------0---I

I-/4---4-3---3-2---2-0h1-----------2---I

I-------------------------------------1---I

I-----------------------------0-1-2------I

I-----------------------------------------I

just to give me something fun to do besides working on my scale.

• Members

Amanda Jane,

My heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with you.

Keep up the great work with your lessons. Music is very soothing in a time of sorrow and I'm sure your grandma smiles at every note.

Remember, m'dear....Love never dies.

Samilyn

• Members

UPDATE

I almost forgot to put an update in here..oops

The reason is I never had a 4th lesson.. Monday's is the lesson days.. but we had bad weather so we switched to Tuesday.. and then the weather was bad again.. so it was cancelled all together until next week monday.

I have to keep practicing the stuff from the week before (lesson 3) which is good because I still need to work on it.

I am feeling the christmas rush... busy busy busy..

Take care

Amanda

• Members

You do know that your future child is listening to all that music you are playing. So practice, practice, practice. You do want to create the next great guitarist and or guitar critic.

P.S. my lessons are on Mondays too...I hate missing them. But lessons are forever...And I don't have as much time left as most of you.

• Members

Hi, AJ

I do hope you're feeling well.

So sorry to hear the weather has interfered with your lessons. Glad to hear you're practicing in spite of the Christmas rush. I'm sure your instructor will be pleased with your progress.

Yeah, with several grandkids, I'm definitely feeling rushed, too, and moaning over the impact on my checkbook as well.

But what the heck - I can work extra assignments to pay the bills and the kiddies grow up all too soon.

Archived