Favorite Concert

guitapick

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Saw Pat Donohue in March. Anybody who likes fingerstyle would have been blown away by this guy. Third time around for me seeing him.

Upcoming dates are

Memphis TN July 9 (Coffee House Concerts)

Ashville NC July 30 (Swannanoa Gathering)

Seattle WA Aug 12-18 (Puget Sound Guitar Wkshp)

Milwaukee WI Nov 3-5 (UWM Stringalong)

• Members

Oregon State University, 1967. Someone said there was a folk singer doing protest songs down at the student union. Lets go get a cup of coffee and check her out. Joan Baez sitting on a stool with her guitar case open and a few quarters in it.

Oregon State University, 1968. Simon and Garfunkle. A date with the woman that would become my wife. Heard "Angie" and said to self - got to learn that one. Looked at Sherrill and said to self - got to marry that one.

Tacoma Washington, sometime in the 80's. My daughter calls and said she wanted to take her mom and me to a concert. Tells me to dig out some tie dye. We hear Santana opening for the Dead. Takes me back to 1968.

Every Leo concert I've been to. Worst concert was John Fahey, even tho I admire his playing.

Every Bonnie Raitte concert I've been to - thru her good times and bad. Front row center seats for Rory Block. in a small venue at Spokane.

Reunion of CSN at Portland (Crosby just out of jail). Stop in the middle of a song and says "we've got a guest in the audience - would Bonnie Raitte come up here". Just jammed. Walked out amazed.

SRV at the Washington Gorge about two weeks before we lost him.

• Members

FK- I have Rory Block tix for later this month in Ann Arbor. This will be the 1st time I have seen her. Pretty good, huh?

Sounds like you and I were @ the same concerts in different cities over many years. (Dead, Santana, Raitt, CSN, Kottke. I also saw SRV shortly before the chopper crash, with Jeff Beck)

Since you are up there somewhere in the great northwest, you may have run across a great fingerstylist and slide player named Mike Dowling. Runs a camp in the summer time near Yellowstone. I'm always tempted to attend.

He's terrific.

• Members

Originally posted by Queequeg

FK- I have Rory Block tix for later this month in Ann Arbor. This will be the 1st time I have seen her. Pretty good, huh?

Sounds like you and I were @ the same concerts in different cities over many years. (Dead, Santana, Raitt, CSN, Kottke. I also saw SRV shortly before the chopper crash, with Jeff Beck)

Since you are up there somewhere in the great northwest, you may have run across a great fingerstylist and slide player named Mike Dowling. Runs a camp in the summer time near Yellowstone. I'm always tempted to attend.

He's terrific.

You will love Rory. She has a great anecdote about learning to play slide and how she selected her slide - I won't spoil it. I also love the line from one of her songs about herself "someone stood up and said 'she plays just like a man' " - well, yea, she learned from Fred McDowell and some of the other blues greats. She just wails on that little OM of hers!

I think I've heard of Dowling, but don't recall if I have heard any of his music. Will check it out, thanks.

Also heard an interesting Santana concert recently at the Gorge in Washington - we have a rather large Hispanic population in our area and many were attending. It was very interesting to see how he completely changed his focus compared to when I heard him play for a bunch of aging Deadheads.

Last little concert story since it relates to the songs in your signature - I was trying to learn Little Martha, mainly the Kottke version, and we saw Leo in a small venue in Spokane. I had been struggling with the barre at 5 and the same little ditty that you do at the first position, but I was now trying to fret it with middle, ring and pinkie - and it is kind of a hammer on. Anyway, we were pretty close to Leo and I saw him drop the barre and do it the same way as the first position (I realize this is totally confusing), and I said to self "oh, so that's how it is done". Little Martha is now one of my standards.

• Members

Joan Baez playing for tips. Awesome.

Moving into the past, too:

1971: Buffy St. Marie solo at Hunter College.

Every Santana concert I've ever been to (from 1st Album tour through to Caravanserai).

1971: John McLaughlin and the original M.O. ("Inner Mounting Flame" time)

Me, a teenager at the Night Owl Cafe. "What's an orchestra doing playing in there? Let's check it out."Lead ins were both Mississippi Blues pickers. "Nice...but what's with all the amps stacked up there and where's the orchestra?" He closed his eyes, never looked down at the neck, and totally blew my mind.

Jaco Pastorius with Toots Thielman warming up Return to Forever. Both acts were stellar and I'd never heard Jaco play like that before. It was really nice.

Lots more. Lots of gigs and times spent with friends where someone just took it to that next level.

• Members

Originally posted by guitapick

Queequeg,

Is there a Pat Donohue recording you'd recommend. I'm a fingerpicking maniac and checked out some sites. Very interested.

Yes, I will recommend:

American Guitar

&

Two Hand Band

but I have to say the reason I recommend these is they have the greatest number of instrumentals, which is what I like best

• Members

Nothing recent and my concert past cannot touch FK's.

Simon & Garfunkel in Central Park. If you have the album you can hear me clapping now and then in the background.

Bob Dylan & Tom Petty in Jerusalem in '87 or '88. Roger McGuinn opened. Great show.

When I was a kid, Peter Yarrow's son and I went to the same summer camp for a few years. PY would stop by once a year and put on a show for the camp. Haven't listened to Peter Paul & Mary in years but as a kid I was blown away.

• Members

Tommy Emmanuel last October. It was in a lecture hall in the back of the Carnegie Library in the Oakland section of downtown Pittsburgh. The room seats about 400 and every seat had a great view.

Tommy came out with both barrels firing and the night only got more intense over the 3 hour concert (2 acts with a 30 minute intermission).

For those here who are registered at the APM forum, I gave a pretty detailed recount and review:

http://www.acousticplayermagazine.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4002&hl=Carnegie+Tommy+Emmanuel

• Members

Originally posted by guitapick

Queequeg,

Is there a Pat Donohue recording you'd recommend. I'm a fingerpicking maniac and checked out some sites. Very interested.

Stephan Grossman sells a DVD of Pat at the Freight & Salvage coffee house that is very good. It's not a lesson, but a regular concert DVD. Pat may also sell it on his website. His lesson DVDs are good too. When it comes to fingerstyle guitar I much prefer video to just audio, though it does glue you to a screen. I have sound capture software (Total Recorder, $35 download) that will let me make MP3 files from the video's audio track so that I can listen to them in the car etc.

• Members

Originally posted by Dave W.

Stephan Grossman sells a DVD of Pat at the Freight & Salvage coffee house that is very good. It's not a lesson, but a regular concert DVD. Pat may also sell it on his website. His lesson DVDs are good too. When it comes to fingerstyle guitar I much prefer video to just audio, though it does glue you to a screen. I have sound capture software (Total Recorder, $35 download) that will let me make MP3 files from the video's audio track so that I can listen to them in the car etc.

+1

Freight & Salvage is real good.

If you're not familiar with Pat...

• Members

My favorite all time concert - was Mark O'Connor in Hot Swing , played at our local university, the tightest concert ive ever seen - and a super nice fellow to boot ( what an emsemble- all top performers in their own rights )-- If you ever get the chance to see him --please do it, he is the most amazing performer Ive eve seen ! -he does different types of concerts, some traditonal fiddle stuff as well as swing etc--

The second best concert Ive ever seen was Pat Donahue, yes his American guitar album is phenominal - he is one phenominal guitarist -- he plays solo all by himself , and he brought the house down!!

Would also like to add that i remember seeing Don McClean at the tralf ( in buffalo )back in the early 80's ( had front row seat with my furure wife ) he was amazing, almost like he was just singing to us - that was a great concert !

Would love to see Tommy Emmanuel !

• Members

I live about 30 minutes from the open air Gorge Ampitheatre in eastern washington. One of my friends is a "Rock Doc" (they have an ER MD at each concert for heat stroke, ODs, knifings, - you know, concert type first aid) - and the payment to the doc's is a box seat. My buddy will call me up and say "there are two seats in the box for BB or Buddy Guy or Dave Matthews or ... Wanna go?

Half hour ride on the harley, the doc gets VIP parking and access to the hospitality tent (he can't drink but I can), so I have heard a lot of good shows lately. But the special ones were small venues with acoustic players up close - the ones I listed stand out.

http://www.hob.com/venues/concerts/gorge/

Rod Stewart a few years back stopping mid song, turning around and watching the sun set behind the basalt cliffs and saying "I've never done a gig like this"

• Members

First concert - CSN - Chicago - 1974.

Last concert - Elton John - Last US tour ('88?) kick-off concert in Miami, FL.

Those were the best. Otherwise I saw Peter, Paul and Mary, Gordon Lightfoot, Homer and Jethro with the Bluegrass Revival and a smattering of others at local campuses in the Chicago burbs. Wasn't into the concert scene. Of these smaller venues, Homer and Jethro had the teenies bouncing in their seats - great show.

• Members

2005 Suwannee Springfest Bluegrass "jam" featuring Tony Rice, Bela Fleck, Mike Marshall, Peter Rowan, Darol Anger, Tania Elizabeth and Bryn Bright. My wife and I had front row seats. I still get goose bumps thinkin' about that one!

1973: At a club in Pittsburgh I sat at the bar with Lowell George and Kenny Gradney drinkin' drafts and listening to Bonnie Raitt and Freebo do their opening act for Little Feat. Before she left the stage the Little Feat boys had left the bar and joined her for a couple of tunes before they did their own set including all of their Dixie Chicken album. Magical night! Don't think Bonnie "opens" for many acts these days.

• Members

Queequeg,

Yes, I will recommend:

American Guitar

&

Two Hand Band

but I have to say the reason I recommend these is they have the greatest number of instrumentals, which is what I like best

Definitely into instrumentals. Beatles tunes and "Missing You" by Lowell George are pretty much the only lyrics I really remember.

Thanks...I'll give 'em a listen.

• Members

Originally posted by Sweb

First concert - CSN - Chicago - 1974.

Homer and Jethro had the teenies bouncing in their seats - great show.

Jethro Burns was a giant of mandolin.

His solo work after Homer passed was supernal.

Brother-in-law to Chet Atkins. They married twins.

Archived