Zager ZAD-50 OM Acoustic

TESmith

• Members

You know I once purchased a Yamaha Guitar that the tech adjusted the action on and it caused the guitar to break around the neck. If I use your logic then I guess all Yamaha's are garbage.

Set ups are personal preference. I didn't like the string height on my Zager when I first got it and had it adjusted to my preferences.

Why all the blind hate here directed at the Zager?

Nah, Yammies have a good reputation and they are not overpriced, that is what people seem to dislike about them. Yamahas have the rep of giving you a lot of guitar for the price.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know I once purchased a Yamaha Guitar that the tech adjusted the action on and it caused the guitar to break around the neck. If I use your logic then I guess all Yamaha's are garbage.

Set ups are personal preference. I didn't like the string height on my Zager when I first got it and had it adjusted to my preferences.

Why all the blind hate here directed at the Zager?

You had the action adjusted on your Zager after you got it?

What does that tell you? You paid extra money for a set up and still had to have it adjusted.

No one said they hate Zagers.

• Members

No offense, but it sounds like you would have loved a Sigma before it was Zagerized. In addition, you could have gotten one for much less, that is all we're saying. :idk: I do not like overpaying for things.

• Members

I'm still debating in my head how my beloved Ovation got into a conversation about Zager, lol. Please...JK. I have a friend whose wife bought him an Esteban for Xmas and he actually said he likes it. He can play circles around me and my high dollar guitars. To each his own. We're each jealous of the other, for different reasons. But I would never criticise his git.

• Members

I'm still debating in my head how my beloved Ovation got into a conversation about Zager, lol. Please...JK. I have a friend whose wife bought him an Esteban for Xmas and he actually said he likes it. He can play circles around me and my high dollar guitars. To each his own. We're each jealous of the other, for different reasons. But I would never criticise his git.

In fairness to Esteban, he does give you a lot of extra stuff with his $199 guitar. He includes a case, several instructional DVDs and other assorted trinkets. Many of his guitar packages include a small amp.

:idk:

• Members

A buddy of mine also picked up an Esteban for Christmas, mostly out of morbid curiosity (plus a new beater). Turns out they're not that bad after setup, but there were a couple of dead spots on the treble strings high on the neck.

Be warned though, the kit doesn't come with sunglasses and hat.

-A

• Members

yeah but my dad is bigger than your dad!
chill out zagerdudes ! if you like it you like it but dont expect others to let other people get ripped off.
The people here are very friendly and helpful and have gone out of thier way to say "if you like it then whats the problem", there were asked thier advice and they gave it, so chill.... or put ur anger into your music or summthing!

p.s where can a zorro mask and sword to cut big Z's into old guitars then sell them for twice they are worth?!

• Members

This is whats so irritating: how do you clowns determine what something is "worth"?
Obviously a big name headstock or solid this or that is worth something to you.
But to put out blanket statements about people getting "ripped off", is unsupportable: if he is selling in a fraudulent or misleading manner, then report him to ebay, your mom or the attorney general of your state.
Do you know how much Gibson or Martin or whoever has in materials in a given guitar? You think a Martin Clapton 000 has $3400 plus worth of workmanship and materials in it? A Taylor 310 has no profit built in?
Stuff is worth what people want to pay. Again, if these guitars were such an economic crime, why are there so many happy Zager players?

• Members

This is whats so irritating: how do you clowns determine what something is "worth"?

But to put out blanket statements about people getting "ripped off", is unsupportable: if he is selling in a fraudulent or misleading manner, then report him to ebay, your mom or the attorney general of your state.

Do you know how much Gibson or Martin or whoever has in materials in a given guitar? You think a Martin Clapton 000 has $3400 plus worth of workmanship and materials in it? A Taylor 310 has no profit built in?

Stuff is worth what people want to pay. Again, if these guitars were such an economic crime, why are there so many happy Zager players?

I don't know; why do so many people watch The View?

• Members

it seems the only people getting real upset here are a few who have or have played zager's-

the consensus is what it is.. if you are in a minority then chin up and keep it positive... you have the guitar's- perhaps a few pictures of the instruments could change some minds... maybe even some video clips...

rather than become defensive why not be happy with what you have and show it off...

be the first to prove the majority wrong with actual proof and not vitriol?

i bought a cheap rouge 12 string... it's a joke compared to most other guitars- but it's what i wanted at the time and i willingly and even enjoyingly accept any ribbing i get for buying an $89.00 git.... no worries...

i think the consensus is that if you are happy- great. that still has no control over the consensus of other's opinion's-

best wishes to all and happy strumming...

• Members

Are you kidding?

It's very easy to determine how much a Sigma with an ultra low set up is worth. Go find the average price of a new Sigma equal to your Zager and go price a set up. Add those two figures together.

You should have done some research PRIOR to buying your Sigma / Zager and you would have known you were paying too much.

• Members

I think that others have already gone over Zager's questionable business practices, like calling a cheap Sigma a "Martin," or the entire (idiotic) concept of claiming that he has invented a new "string science."

Again, if these guitars were such an economic crime, why are there so many happy Zager players?

Two answers: First, look at who is buying and reviewing them. Knowledgeable guitar players wouldn't be so happy (nobody who knows better believes Zager has a magic "string science").

Second, many people (including very otherwise intelligent and sophisticated people who have been playing guitar for many years) don't really understand that a guitar can be set up to play as you wish. Also, they may only have played guitars with relatively narrow string spacing (like so many inexpensive imports with 1 11/16" nuts and narrower spacing than needed). So if someone provides them with a guitar that comes already set up for low action, etc., and has extra-light strings on top of that, I can understand how it can seem like a revelation. I remember setting up a very inexpensive solid-top dreadnought with a new nut and saddle and low action (but with regular 12 to 53 gauge light strings) and selling it to a music teacher from a local public school. He was amazed at the way it played and said that he had thought only classical guitars could feel this easy to play.

• Members
Here's some pics of my
un-Zagerised
1989 Korean made Sigma/Martin DM-2:

It's actually a very nice guitar for the $150 I paid for it. I've played a few laminated Takamines, Yamahas, and Epiphones and I would put my Sigma up against any of them.

Beater%20guitars%20001%20%28Small%29.jpg
Beater%20guitars%20005%20%28Small%29.jpg
Beater%20guitars%20002%20%28Small%29.jpg
Beater%20guitars%20004%20%28Small%29.jpg

Hey, that is a nice looking guitar. And $150.00? :thu:

• Members

Someone asked the "opinions" here of zagers guitar and they got peoples "opinions", It seems most people think that charging over the top prices for a "setup" is a "rip off". It also seems that the "advice" of "most" people here is to buy something else.
Sounds like honest opinions to me from people who have knowledge in the area being asked advice about....

When i first started playing i brought a guitar that i thought was the bee knees...... as i played other guitars, learnt more i could tell it was a piece of cr*p. I could of brought a better guitar at the time for the same cost... Did i feel ripped off ? i guess not because it was my choice and i didnt know better... if i had asked peoples advice and they told me i was a piece of cr*p then i prob would of saved some money and started learning on a slighty better footing.

Now i'm sorry but ive just sold that guitar (after it being untouched for 3 yrs) else
i would of pulled a rabbit outta the soundhole and sawn it half and then sold it to you zager fans for 3 times the price. I Kip!!!

Archived