Zager ZAD-50 OM Acoustic

TESmith

• Members

Sheesh.

Hey, while we're on this tangent going nowhere, I have a weird experience with a Yamaha classical with onboards. Well, maybe not that weird. When I plug into an acoustic amp it sounds like a classical through an acoustic amp. Imagine that. Now, when I plug into a Behringer mini-mixer (UB802) and listen through headphones it sounds like an electric guitar - more than less - and I have no effects in the signal chain. Everything is set flat on the board. S'plain that one.

Overdriving input? How's the gain pot on the mixer input set?

I'm not one to answer. I don't have pickups on any of my acoustics.

Scott O

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Overdriving input? How's the gain pot on the mixer input set?

I'm not one to answer. I don't have pickups on any of my acoustics.

Scott O

Scott, that was it. I brought down the gain on the board, bumped up the volume on the guitar and now it sounds scads better. Thanks for the tip.

• Members

paying $200 to setup a $200 guitar should be made illegal.

Having an opinion on something you have no first hand experience with (playing a Zager guitar) should be illegal as well!

Just thought I would stir things up again just for the fun of it!

• Members
Having an opinion on something you have no first hand experience with (playing a Zager guitar) should be illegal as well!

Just thought I would stir things up again just for the fun of it!

well, im sure zagers are great guitars, just like others of its class. no reason to harp on and on about it

for the money id get an epiphone. at least its a gibson :p

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Interesting read. First time I've ever heard of a Zager guitar.

I was a around when "2525" was a hit, though.

:thu: So was I...novelty song. You probably remember "Timothy", too:

Timothy, Timothy, where on earth did you go?

Timothy, Timothy, down my throat I knooooowwwww!

Whooda thunk Denny Zager would end up peddling Sigma guitars (and Sigma clones, some definite irony there) accompanied by a $200 set-up charge.

• Members

So if someone gets a Sigma, at least it's a Martin???

its a zagerised Sigma, so no, its technically not an original sigma anymore. sigmas dont cost $500. and my luthier can do a setup for a fraction on what zager charges.

peace?

• Members

its a zagerised Sigma, so no, its technically not an original sigma anymore. sigmas dont cost $500. and my luthier can do a setup for a fraction on what zager charges.

peace?

How about a non zagerized Sigma, is that at least a Martin? Honest question.

Peace!

• Members

I can't believe this thread is still happening..

You guys ever hear of commerce, you know, like capitalism? That is the god given right of every red-blooded human to maximize the profit while simultaneously minimizing the investment. It works best on the clueless, the inexperienced, the sensationalism susceptible, and the flash buyers of this great world. (Where do you think politicians come from?) Denny is merely engaging in the American dream and raking in the cash to that same dance.

Didn't you guys ever see George Carlin's skit "You are all diseased"? You know the part about business and servicing the account? :confused:

The above has been a non-participating tongue-in-cheek, and unsolicited point of view, please, by all means, I return you to your normally scheduled to the fiasco.

:thu:

• Members
yes, Sigma is at least a martin.

and i meant all this brand-subbrand relation in jest.
:)

Well.......yeah.

My take on that is, the Sigma-Martin or Jasmine-Takamine thing falls into the same category as walking around with a nose noogie that nobody tells you about - an embarrassment, but relatively harmless.

• Members
Well.......yeah.

My take on that is, the Sigma-Martin or Jasmine-Takamine thing falls into the same category as walking around with a nose noogie that nobody tells you about - an embarrassment, but relatively harmless.

Actually I feel that my 1989 Korean made Sigma is better than a Jasmine. I have tried Jasmines and the fit and finish is much better on my Sigma DM2. The neck is straight, the frets are even and not sharp on the ends. It has excellent sealed Ping tuners and it's never had failed me at a gig. The bridge is still solid and the nut and and saddle are prefect. The action is wonderful and I have mine set up properly so it plays great. Does it sound like a Martin D-18? (the guitar it copies)...heck no! It does sound pretty darn good for an all laminate $200 guitar. I'd rank it up there with any Yamaha in the same price range. Still... my Taylor 114 BLOWS it away in tone, volume and workmanship.

Now...like all brands... I have seen other Sigmas that where not as well made as this one so I was lucky to get a good one right off the bat. Yes..I have used this guitar for gigs (house guitar for open mics) and "busking" or street performing and with a soundhole pup it has never failed me. Other performers who have borrowed it at open mics have even commented on it's playability.

Would I buy a $500 Zagerized one?

No...

OGP

TFC%20Feb%202008%20009%20%28Small%29.jpg
Beater%20guitars%20005%20%28Small%29.jpg
Beater%20guitars%20002%20%28Small%29.jpg
Beater%20guitars%20001%20%28Small%29.jpg
Beater%20guitars%20004%20%28Small%29.jpg

• Members

You mention your Sigmas is all laminate. Did Sigma make any solid wood top guitars? If so, I would imagine they cost a little more?

Yes, Sigma did make solid top guitars. The DR-41 and the DR-7 come to mind.

The last solid top DM series guitar was the DM1-ST which was a solid top with mahogany laminate back & sides. It retailed for about $299 new but when Martin dropped the line you could get one for as little as $199.

OGP

• Members
Yes, Sigma did make solid top guitars. The DR-41 and the DR-7 come to mind.

The last solid top DM series guitar was the DM1-ST which was a solid top with mahogany laminate back & sides. It retailed for about $299 new but when Martin dropped the line you could get one for as little as $199.

OGP

Haw! You know he's going to try use that to reconcile the setup cost versus the final cost of the Zager. :freak:

• Members
Haw! You know he's going to try use that to reconcile the setup cost versus the final cost of the Zager.
:freak:

Now Now Now, don't you start something here. Old guitar player knows his stuff about Sigmas and at one time I considered the DR41..kind of a poor mans Martin D41. I saw a used one on ebay not too long ago for $360 including shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sigma-Martin-DR-41-Acoustic-guitar-with-case_W0QQitemZ320218740014QQihZ011QQcategoryZ2385
QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm trying to be a good boy and get along with everyone!

• Members
Now Now Now, don't you start something here. Old guitar player knows his stuff about Sigmas and at one time I considered the DR41..kind of a poor mans Martin D41. I saw a used one on ebay not too long ago for $360 including shipping. I'm trying to be a good boy and get along with everyone!

:phil: :)

Archived