Zager ZAD-50 OM Acoustic

TESmith

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500M is a much better option for the same price ($499.00). The EF-500M has an OM body and features solid wood construction: solid spruce top and solid mahogany sides and back. It's an amazing guitar for the money.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Masterbilt-EF500M-Fingerstyle-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=519060

• Members

:freak:

OK....

I was trying to be a nice, positive guy for a change. :lol:

Besides, I knew my fellow peanut gallery members would save America and crush Zagerism. :thu:

I got into a debate over Zager guitars with a couple Zager owners on the old Taylor forum. They pointed out the fact that Denny now has his own line of Zager guitars in addition to his Zagerfied Sigma guitars. I believe they are made in the same factory in China that builds Washburn. I actually found a bunch of good reviews on them.

With that being said, I firmly believe they are grossly over-priced. That's why I chimed back in and suggested the Epi Masterbilt. :p

No more mister nice guy. :D

• Members

Well I am still getting a Larrivee,

I thank you all for the info it was just that I discovered this line today, never read or heard of them before, so I wanted to ask to learn.

Thanks again

Tim

I recommended the Epiphone EF-500M because it's the same price as the Zager.

I own a Larrivee OM-03R. I love it. :love:

• Members

Hate to break your collective snob ass, headstock name loving bubbles, but I've played a couple and owned one Zager Zad 50 for two years.

I bought it for $450, and I've never looked at another acoustic.

Its made in Indonesia, not China.

It's action was perfect for me out of the box.

Its intonation was dead on, fret work and nut beyond what you'd get with a $50 "set up".

It looks and sounds terrific, and has amazed expierenced guitarists in my family and professionals who who've actually played it.

I've NEVER seen before an off the shelf guitar that played as well in this price range. I don't work for them but do own multiple higher end USA electrics and could spend more on a guitar if I wanted to.

Is it a $250 guitar with a $200 set up? Who cares if it sounds right, plays right and is backed by a real USA address with real people on the phone?

• Members

Hate to break your collective snob ass, headstock name loving bubbles, but I've played a couple and owned one Zager Zad 50 for two years.

Its intonation was dead on, fret work and nut beyond what you'd get with a $50 "set up".

It looks and sounds terrific, and has amazed expierenced guitarists in my family and professionals who who've actually played it.

I've NEVER seen before an off the shelf guitar that played as well in this price range. I don't work for them but do own multiple higher end USA electrics and could spend more on a guitar if I wanted to.

Is it a $250 guitar with a $200 set up? Who cares if it sounds right, plays right and is backed by a real USA address with real people on the phone?

Zager Snob ;)

• Members

I played one once. It was OK but undistinguished sounding. Ironically, the action was very high. Having played one I have zero GAS for one. To each his own.

• Members

communiss

• Members

Heck yeah, just like a Martin, really, trust the man with the Zorro hat

Yup - just like a Martin, after a few swigs of high-octane refreshment. Of course, that's about the time you think you're playing like Tommy and the bleach-blonde barfly starts looking like a hottie. :freak:

• Members

I stumbled on Zager's web site, and decided on the ZAD 50 after considering the options, I really hadn't done any comparison shopping at this point. I figured for $450 and a 100% satisfaction guarantee there's nothing to lose.

The guitar came quickly and it's appearance was excellent in spite of everyone's complaints about being made in Indonesia which is true. The quality of the finish and appointments were good for the money. Solid top with mahogany laminate back and sides, and white neck binding

The guitar had a slightly wider than normal neck, X-light Martin DARCO strings. It came with a guitar stand, extra set of strings, picks, and WOW...a Polaroid picture of Denny Zager working on a guitar, oh yeah a T-shirt too!

The guitar was very easy to play and easy on the fingers, but if you've been playing an acoustic for a while you'll find that the "String Science" really isn't necessary if your guitar has a decent setup and action.

The guitar sounds fairly good to the untrained ear, but if you like to pound out the chords for a BIG sound, forget it. The setup and the guitar just isn't built for that type of play. If you are a very light handed player this guitar may work for you.

After playing the guitar for a couple of days, I went to Guitar Center to try out the Martins. OH MY GOD!!! They blew the Zager away with beautiful sound and sustain, however I still maintain that the Zager looked very good at $450. Martins of course are priced into the thousands of dollars but I found a Martin model made for Guitar Center and Musicians Friend.

Its called a Martin "Custom D", very spartan looking, no bells and whistles but INCREDIBLE sound. Spruce Top, SOLID Rosewood back & sides, and rosewood fretboard. All for $899 with Martin case at Musician's Friend

Sure the Martin is priced higher but the sound is no comparison and isn't that what really matters?!

I emailed Zager for a return, they issued a return UPS label at no cost to me, I returned the guitar and was given full credit no questions asked, a real class act on Zager's part. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT REMOVE THE PICK GUARD PLASTIC, ZAGER OR WILL NOT HONOR THE GUARANTEE. There is no mention of this in his warranty statement

If cost is of utmost importance to you, the Zager is a good buy, but for a modest amount more you can own a REAL Martin at an entry level price. I tried the D18, D-28, and D-45, the Custom D sounds very close to the high end Martins. To me the high end wasn't worth the extra $1-$2 thousand dollars more.

Be sure to demo other guitars before jumping blindly as I did initially

• Members

I stumbled on
Zager's
web site, and decided on the ZAD 50 after considering the options, I really hadn't done any comparison shopping at this point. I figured for $450 and a 100% satisfaction guarantee there's nothing to lose.

The guitar came quickly and it's appearance was excellent in spite of everyone's complaints about being made in Indonesia which is true. The quality of the finish and appointments were good for the money. Solid top with mahogany laminate back and sides, and white neck binding

The guitar had a slightly wider than normal neck, X-light Martin DARCO strings. It came with a guitar stand, extra set of strings, picks, and WOW...a Poloroid picture of Denny Zager working on a guitar, oh yeah a T-shirt too!

The guitar was very easy to play and easy on the fingers, but if you've been playing an acoustic for a while you'll find that the "String Science" really isn't necessary if your guitar has a decent setup and action.

The guitar sounds fairly good to the untrained ear, but if you like to pound out the chords for a BIG sound, forget it. The setup and the guitar just isn't built for that type of play. If you are a very light handed player this guitar may work for you.

After playing the guitar for a couple of days, I went to Guitar Center to try out the Martins. OH MY GOD!!! They blew the Zager away with beautiful sound and sustain, however I still maintain that the Zager looked very good at $450. Martins of course are priced into the thousands of dollars but I found a Martin model made for Guitar Center and Musicians Friend.

Its called a Martin "Custom D", very spartan looking, no bells and whistles but INCREDIBLE sound. Spruce Top, SOLID Rosewood back & sides, and rosewood fretboard. All for $899 with Martin case at Musician's Friend

Sure the Martin is priced higher but the sound is no comparison and isn't that what really matters?!

I emailed Zager for a return, they issued a return UPS label at no cost to me, I returned the guitar and was given full credit no questions asked,
a real class act on Zager's part
. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT REMOVE THE PICK GUARD PLASTIC, ZAGER OR WILL NOT HONOR THE GUARANTEE. There is no mention of this in his warranty statement

If cost is of utmost importance to you, the Zager is a good buy, but for a modest amount more you can own a REAL Martin at an entry level price. I tried the D18, D-28, and D-45, the Custom D sounds very close to the high end Martins. To me the high end wasn't worth the extra $1-$2 thousand dollars more.

Be sure to demo other guitars before jumping blindly as I did initially

Thank you for your honest and thoughtful post. Having read the specs on the ZAD 50 it does look like a pretty nice guitar. Whether it's worth $500 I wouldn't know and won't bother to find out. My problem is not with the ZAD 50 but the guitar he promotes as the "Martin DM-1" for $495. This guitar is NOT a Martin and if you notice on Zager's website he doesn't show a close up of the front of the headstock to show that in fact the DM-1 is a Korean made all laminate guitar made by Sigma. Yes, this company was affiliated with Martin for many years but that is no more. The guitar that Mr. Zager promotes as a Martin DM1 is actually worth $100-$150...I know becuase I have a Sigma DM2 which I bought used in mint shape for $150.

Simply put...Mr Zager is selling a $100 plywood guitar with $395 set-up...:freak:. This is a con job...look at the pics of the so called "Martin" guitar he is selling and look at those machine heads. Those tuners are junk and worth about $5.00.

For $500 you can get an all solid Epiphone Masterbilt which is way more guitar than anything Zager sells at the same price.

Archived