Zager ZAD-50 OM Acoustic

TESmith

• Members

Where does the $300 figure come from? If you want, say, a Masterbilt with wide string spacing, get one with a 1.75-inch nut. As for the bracing, others have noted that scalloped bracing is very common and that it's doubtful that Danny Z. hand-scallops once they're built. So what's left? Lowering the action. That means lowering the saddle, plus doing some fret work (anywhere from touching up a few uneven points to leveling, crowning, and polishing all the frets) if they're too uneven to take low action. That shouldn't cost $300.

$200 in NYC for the set up, lighter strings, nut replacement, fret and bridge stuff. The Masterbuilt is an extra $100 over the Zager. $200 plus $100 = $300.

Can someone show me anything in writing that says Epiphone will honor the guitar warranty after its nut is replaced or bridge altered??

I've had my Zad50 for 2+ years. It sounds, looks and plays like I want it to. I've been playing since 1969, and own and play nice USA fender electrics and don't understand the hate.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

$200 in NYC for the set up, lighter strings, nut replacement, fret and bridge stuff. The Masterbuilt is an extra $100 over the Zager. $200 plus $100 = $300.

Can someone show me anything in writing that says Epiphone will honor the guitar warranty after its nut is replaced or bridge altered??

I've had my Zad50 for 2+ years. It sounds, looks and plays like I want it to. I've been playing since 1969, and own and play nice USA fender electrics and don't understand the hate.

Why would Denny replace the nut on a guitar he had built to his specs? Why does he have to modify the frets and bridge on a guitar built to his own specs?

The Masterbilt line uses solid wood construction. You can buy them new between $400 and $600. They don't require the nut to be replaced.

You can get a computerized Plek setup for $150. You can get a basic set up between $40 and $80 in most cities. I believe your guitar should be set up to fit your own playing style. I don't buy the "one size fits all" theory.

A new decent quality guitar shouldn't require any fret work.

I'm glad you like your Zager. No one hates them. We just question Denny's pricing and deceptive tactics.

• Members

Sorry--I thought you meant the setup was $300. At any rate, you don't need a nut replacement, as I said--simply buy a Masterbilt (or a Seagull, etc.) with a wide nut. Etc. etc. I think we're beginning to go around in circles here.

As for warranty work and the nut and saddle (I don't think you literally mean the bridge), it is routine to adjust the nut slots (again, there's no need for a new nut--if you like wide string spacing, buy a guitar that's made that way) and replace or lower the saddle. This is part of a normal setup that a store might even perform as part of selling a guitar. How could anybody void the warranty because you took the saddle out, sanded it down, and then popped it back in?

• Members

If Denny sold the git at fair market value and his setup at fair market value, and advertised them as such, I wouldn't have a problem with him.

I do, however, have a huge problem with the way he advertises his products and exactly what his "service" is. It is very misleading to a less-than-well-informed buyer.

I have absolutely no use for persons who are not honest.

• Members

If Denny sold the git at fair market value and his setup at fair market value, and advertised them as such, I wouldn't have a problem with him.

I do, however, have a huge problem with the way he advertises his products and exactly what his "service" is. It is very misleading to a less-than-well-informed buyer.

Exactly....

• Members

Ding, ding, ding....

We have a winner. :thu:

• Members

The ignorant people actually believe Denny Zager scallops the braces in the guitars AFTER he has them built in a foreign factory to his own specs. The ignorant people also believe he replaces the nut on the same guitars he has built to his specs.

You paid too much for your Zager.

No need to insult the people here. Live and learn.

Are the ignorant people making a few assumptions? Maybe filling the blank spaces in their knowledge with speculation?

I'll put my overpriced Zager up against anything you've got.

• Members

Are the ignorant people making a few assumptions? Maybe filling the blank spaces in their knowledge with speculation?

:lol:

How do I respond to something this silly?

You Zager folks are angry people.

• Members

Sure seems that way, you don't hear the Martin fans challenging the Taylor fans or the Gibson people, do you?
:rolleyes:

That's probably because the vast majority of us who own them knew exactly what we wanted and what were getting for our hard-earned bucks when we invested our gits.

• Members

If you are happy with your guitar that's what matters!

Just forget about the few hundred bucks that you paid in extra for nothing except maybe your happiness!

It's a fact! Like it or not! :wave:

• Members

The majority of the Zager critcs on here have either: played a single used one, havn't played one at all , or knew a guy who got one and sent it back because Zager said you couldn't use a heavier replacement strings under pain of losing the warranty (not true by the way).

The Zager supporters on here: have one, played one for months or years, could have easily returned it for their money back and havn't. If the git was a rip off few owners would stand up for these instruments, but I guess the conclusion should be that Zager players are not as smart or gear savy as the anti's.

For the poor souls who don't know any better about Masterbuilts, $45 set ups and frets that'l wear forever, these losers get an out of box- plays like butter, lifetime warranted guitar. I know at least two people who have returned to guitar with new enthusiasm after buying and playing a Zager. They tried years ago to learn on instruments that were heavy stringed, an inch off the board. Sore fingers and difficulty playing clear notes discouraged them, but the Zagers got them back in the game.

Ok, you guys know guitars and have it all figured out. Zager may be "overcharging" but no one is holding a gun to anybody's head. May I suggest one of you experts go into business competing with Zager by

re-selling $500 Masterbulits that you've set up. Should be easy money.

• Members

The majority of the Zager critcs on here have either: played a single used one, havn't played one at all , or knew a guy who got one and sent it back because Zager said you couldn't use a heavier replacement strings under pain of losing the warranty (not true by the way).

The Zager supporters on here: have one, played one for months or years, could have easily returned it for their money back and havn't. If the git was a rip off few owners would stand up for these instruments, but I guess the conclusion should be that Zager players are not as smart or gear savy as the anti's.

For the poor souls who don't know any better about Masterbuilts, $45 set ups and frets that'l wear forever, these losers get an out of box- plays like butter, lifetime warranted guitar. I know at least two people who have returned to guitar with new enthusiasm after buying and playing a Zager. They tried years ago to learn on instruments that were heavy stringed, an inch off the board. Sore fingers and difficulty playing clear notes discouraged them, but the Zagers got them back in the game.

Ok, you guys know guitars and have it all figured out. Zager may be "overcharging" but no one is holding a gun to anybody's head. May I suggest one of you experts go into business competing with Zager by

Look, I understand how you and other Zager owners must feel. We generally are a very supportive group here who take the approach that everyone's baby is the cutest who ever lived. If I owned a Zager and was happy with it, I would feel offended too by some of the comments as we have a natural human tendency to identify with certain prized possessions.

But what are we to do when someone asks if he or she should buy one? Should we not warn that person if we think they could do much better for the money? Don't we have an obligation to point out things like filed down frets? Shouldn't we point out that no one ever should have to play a guitar with strings "an inch off the board" because every guitar can be inexpensively adjusted to give you action that is low and comfortable?

Hey, if anyone out there is in love with their Zager then, as has been said, that is all that matters for them. The Ovation players have managed to survive the "salad bowl" comments. Fender acoustic players have survived the general disregard for Fender acoustics here. God Bless You and I hope you stay on the forum and participate in other discussions. I hope there are no hard feelings.

• Members

Look, I understand how you and other Zager owners must feel. We generally are a very supportive group here who take the approach that everyone's baby is the cutest who ever lived. If I owned a Zager and was happy with it, I would feel offended too by some of the comments as we have a natural human tendency to identify with certain prized possessions.

But what are we to do when someone asks if he or she should buy one? Should we not warn that person if we think they could do much better for the money? Don't we have an obligation to point out things like filed down frets? Shouldn't we point out that
no one
ever
should have to play a guitar with strings "an inch off the board" because
every
guitar can be inexpensively adjusted to give you action that is low and comfortable?

Hey, if anyone out there is in love with their Zager then, as has been said, that is all that matters for them. The Ovation players have managed to survive the "salad bowl" comments. Fender acoustic players have survived the general disregard for Fender acoustics here. God Bless You and I hope you stay on the forum and participate in other discussions. I hope there are no hard feelings.

Like babablowfish says nobody here is making negative comments about Zager owners or calling them "losers". I am sure there are many happy and satisfied Zager guitar players just like there are a few happy and satisfied Yamaha and Ovation users. The original poster asked about Zager guitars and he was awarded many opinions. Has a result he bought a Larrivee. A much better choice for the money in my mind.

From the pics I saw posted of Zager's "fret job" I'd have to say that guitar is destroyed. I guess the idea is that the player should never progress beyong playing basic "cowboy" chords at the first 3 frets. Frets are not meant to be filed down flat and uneven on one side. If played any further up the neck, the guitar in those pics is surely going to have intonation problems and buzz. Frets are supposed to be leveled evenly and re-crowned and polished. Basically what Zager has done has taken an actually not so bad guitar and totally ruined it. No one can convince me otherwise.

• Members

Hey! I resemble that remark!
:D

Well...I am a very happy and satisfied un-Zagerized "Martin" Sigma DM-2 owner. It's my go to guitar for busking and it's a great "house guitar" when I host open mics in case someone wants to play but didn't bring a guitar. I slap my Fishman soundhole pup in it and off you go!. It's my "beater". I would never let Mr. Zager near it...:freak:

I too am a happy Yamaha owner. I have a 30 yr old G-50A hanging on my wall. Not only did I use an FG-331 for a short period but for about 15 years my only acoustic was an FG-350W and it played like butter and sounded really nice. It truly is the one guitar I ever regret getting rid of. Now they sell for about $400 on the used market. I paid $180 and for mine used when it was about 5-6 yrs old. I sold it about 5 yrs ago for $280. It was one of those...I need the money things.

I've only seen one other like it.

• Members

Well...I am a very happy and satisfied
un-Zagerized
"Martin" Sigma DM-2 owner. It's my go to guitar for busking and it's a great "house guitar" when I host open mics in case someone wants to play but didn't bring a guitar. I slap my Fishman soundhole pup in it and off you go!. It's my "beater". I would never let Mr. Zager near it...
:freak:

I also used to be a happy Yamaha owner. Not only did I use an FG-331 for a short period but for about 15 years my only acoustic was an FG-350W and it played like butter and sounded really nice. It truly is the one guitar I ever regret getting rid of. Now they sell for about $400 on the used market. I paid $180 and for mine used when it was about 5-6 yrs old. I sold it about 5 yrs ago for $280. It was one of those...I need the money things.

I've only seen one other like it.

You know I have my Washburn up for sale and I will be bringing my Yamaha FG365S into a shop to sell on consignment. I had a Guild D-4NT that I sold that I sometimes wish I hadn't but truth is, I prefer the way my Yamaha FG-340 plays and sounds as well as my Parkwood. But, even though I am planning to reduce my guitar collection to the bare bones, if I can snag an FG-331 in good condition for the right price I will buy it. That is one little guitar that I regret not buying when I had the chance even though the one in question was beat to hell and overpriced. That guitar had a special mojo.

• Members

You know I have my Washburn up for sale and I will be bringing my Yamaha FG365S into a shop to sell on consignment. I had a Guild D-4NT that I sold that I sometimes wish I hadn't but truth is, I prefer the way my Yamaha FG-340 plays and sounds as well as my Parkwood. But, even though I am planning to reduce my guitar collection to the bare bones, if I can snag an FG-331 in good condition for the right price I will buy it. That is one little guitar that I regret not buying when I had the chance even though the one in question was beat to hell and overpriced. That guitar had a special mojo.

Geeze...I totally forgot about my ancient Yamaha G-50A classical that I keep hung up on the wall. :D

I too am going to reduce my collection. As I am not ever going to play in a rock band again I am probably going to get rid of all my electric guitars (4) and amps and go totally acoustic. Ultimately I would like to narrow it down to my five favorite acoustics which are my:

Martin 000-15

Taylor 114

Sigma DM2 (beater dreadnaught)

Aria MM-20 (gypsy jazz guitar)

Takamine G128 (nylon string)

I'd say with those I have all the bases covered. :D

• Members

>>>

You're calling my best friend, or the Zager phone rep, a liar, one or the other.

>>>

100% correct.

re-selling $500 Masterbulits that you've set up. Should be easy money.>>>>

Sounds like a dumb business plan to me.

No demand.

All the new $500 hanging in my local mom & pop are already set up.

They dont need anything except taking home and enjoying.

The only people who would even ask a set up would be a wuss who cant play on normal action.

• Members

The Zager brand is identical to the Sigma brand. The only difference is the name on the headstock. $500 and $750 (ZAD 50 & ZAD 80) is a lot of money for a solid top, laminate sides and back guitar. You can buy a Sigma between $200 and $300 (fair market price for the guitar) and get it set up to fit YOU (not a "one size fits all" set up) and still be well under the ZAD 50 and ZAD 80 prices.

No one is knocking the Zager or Sigma brand. You are confusing different issues. Like it or not, Denny is charging too much money for his "string science".

Here's the problem: Many of us do our own set up work. Others have a luthier or guitar tech they take their guitars to. We understand and value the importance of having a guitar set up to fit our playing style. We also know a guitar set up isn't magic or "string science". Anyone can learn to do a set up. Check out Freman Keller's "Is My Guitar Sick" link on the Annex.

You are badly mistaken if you think filing down your frets will extend the playing life of your frets. A new guitar shouldn't require fret work.

As stated before, I am happy that you like your Zager. But you pay almost as much for the set up as you did for the guitar. With that being said, I don't know why you feel the need to knock other brands. If Denny sold Zagerized Epiphone Masterbilts they would cost $1000 +.

Many people buy acoustic guitars withotut the knowledge that they can have them set up. I can see why they would love a Zager if they like low action. The point is you can set up any decent acoustic guitar with low action and pay a lot less.

• Members

The Zager brand is identical to the Sigma brand.

NOT TRUE. The actual Sigma they sell is but the other's arent' Sigma's. The Zad 50's and Zad 80's aren't. You'll note on the website that the guitar that is a Sigma says it's a Sigma.

The only difference is the name on the headstock. $500 and $750 (ZAD 50 & ZAD 80) is a lot of money for a solid top, laminate sides and back guitar. You can buy a Sigma between $200 and $300 (fair market price for the guitar) and get it set up to fit YOU (not a "one size fits all" set up) and still be well under the ZAD 50 and ZAD 80 prices.

And this little piece of information came from where?
[

No one is knocking the Zager or Sigma brand. You are confusing different issues. Like it or not, Denny is charging too much money for his "string science".

Here's the problem: Many of us do our own set up work. Others have a luthier or guitar tech they take their guitars to. We understand and value the importance of having a guitar set up to fit our playing style. We also know a guitar set up isn't magic or "string science". Anyone can learn to do a set up. Check out Freman Keller's "Is My Guitar Sick" link on the Annex.

You are badly mistaken if you think filing down your frets will extend the playing life of your frets. A new guitar shouldn't require fret work.

Where did the filing the frets thing come from?
That's frequently done on guitars to get them all the same height. If you were a luthier or tech you would know that.

As stated before, I am happy that you like your Zager. But you pay almost as much for the set up as you did for the guitar. With that being said, I don't know why you feel the need to knock other brands. If Denny sold Zagerized Epiphone Masterbilts they would cost $1000 +.

Many people buy acoustic guitars withotut the knowledge that they can have them set up. I can see why they would love a Zager if they like low action. The point is you can set up any decent acoustic guitar with low action and pay a lot less.

Perhaps with out all the assumptions and assumed facts you would be buying a Zager instead of a Masterbilt.

I'm not trying to diss you here I'm just telling you that those of us who like Zagers aren't as ignorant as you might like to think.

• Members

Look I unpacked one, examined it carefully and played it straight out of the box. I've played guitar for over 30 years.

If Zager "string science" was the correct way to set up a guitar, I'd be the first to sing his praises.

If anyone asks me I will tell them its a gimmick and a bad idea.

You know I once purchased a Yamaha Guitar that the tech adjusted the action on and it caused the guitar to break around the neck. If I use your logic then I guess all Yamaha's are garbage.

Set ups are personal preference. I didn't like the string height on my Zager when I first got it and had it adjusted to my preferences.

Why all the blind hate here directed at the Zager?

Archived