Practice vs Play

Stackabones

• Members

It's just a word thing, but words have a way of influencing the way we think about things.

I don't really think much about "practicing" -- though I do think about "playing." For example, I don't think "I've got to go practice guitar" or "I've got to practice I Got Rhythm." Instead, I think "I've got to go play I Got Rhythm."

"Gigging" is not what I mean by "playing." Gigs involve public performance and (preferably) pay.

"Practicing" conjures up images of scales and tedium and cloudy days. "Playing" is all about blue skies.

How 'bout you? :wave:

• Members

Minnesota Fats once said that practice is for suckers. I took that to heart and just prefer to focus either on learning songs or noodling aimlessly.

"Noodling Aimlessly". Now I know how to answer when people ask what kind of stuff I play. Hell, it could be a concept album. :)

• Members

"Noodling Aimlessly". Now I know how to answer when people ask what kind of stuff I play. Hell, it could be a concept album.
:)

yeah - I learned that term back when I used to worship EVH years and years ago. That was what he called what he did when writing music.

• Members

Stack, I'm the same as you here. I never consciously "practiced" guitar until I got to music school and was shown what practicing can mean. For one of my auditions for college, the adjudicators asked me what my practice routine was and I totally blanked. :freak: "Um, well, first I sit down... and then I play whatever I feel like..." Its a miracle I got into college at all. :D

Even now, though, I still don't have a true practice routine. I don't do any stretches; I don't warm up with scales. If there's a song I need to memorize or a passage in a song I'm having trouble playing or if I need to come up with a structure for a solo, I'll just play it ad nauseam. And inevitably I get sidetracked and end up playing something else for a while, but eventually play what I sat down to play a couple more times and call it a day.

Ellen

• Members

I am a guitar player, meaning, if handed a guitar I can play various songs and progressions that you might recognize as being musical.

I rehearse material for public performances, though. A rehearsal isn't playtime and a performance, is, well, work that I really like.

• Members

In my mind, the distinction is very clear. If I'm working on something I can't do, or can't do worth beans, then I'm practicing. If I'm doing something I already know how to do, then I'm playing. Practicing isn't nearly as much fun, but the more I practice, the more fun playing becomes because I can do more things well.

• Members

In my mind, the distinction is very clear. If I'm working on something I can't do, or can't do worth beans, then I'm practicing. If I'm doing something I already know how to do, then I'm playing. Practicing isn't nearly as much fun, but the more I practice, the more fun playing becomes because I can do more things well.

+1

Ben Harper said in an interview that practicing is trying to learn something you don't know how to play.

• Members

i still say that if you practice you get better but i agree with zookie and 12 pack.......rehursal or rehusing does sound more musical related but as for 12 pack yea practice does sound like something a doctor is doing but..... playing is still funner!!!^_^

• Members

that is a funny video considering what we are talking about....... yea it does sound like practice is a bit funny now but usually it is kinda boring when you don't understand alll of it....lol^_^

thats true it does really matter only on stage.....lol

• Members

I practice.

But I don't think of it as a bad thing..."practice" to me doesn't conjure up bad flashbacks to early piano lessons full of scales and drills. It does mean structure, but in a way that I control.

Much of my guitar life (going on 20 years) has been unstructured and, as a result, I'm still a better pianist than guitarist even though I've probably spent twice the time screwing around on guitar than piano. To fix that, I'm trying to take a different approach to picking up the guitar. I spend time warming up, I have goals in mind, I use a metronome, I even do some scales.

Maybe it's a personality thing, although I'm not at all what you'd call an organization/control-freak. But I'm finding that structuring my playing into "practice" sessions has given me direction and made me enjoy my time with the instrument more. And I can still pick it up during my non-practice times and just strum whenever I feel like.

• Members

I don't do much "practice" as ya'll define it. Some but not much. I think it helps but I gig. 4 gigs last weeks. So I spend my playing time getting ready for gigs. I play anything from kids parties to biker bars and that requires a big gig book. In my case about 250 songs and I try to add a new song a week (true average is about a new song a month)

But I was reading a thing on muscle memory abort 9 years ago that said that if you can put 1000 hrs into doing any thing you can improve your performance 1000%. Well I started keeping track of the time I played and if you get a little over 3 hr a day you get a 1000 hrs a year. Now my improvement goal is to always play at least a 1000 hrs a year.

Archived