Lets build a little guitar - #14

Freeman Keller

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

re: the bridge. I think I will try to cut down the belly bridge a little keeping the same shape and proportions. I'm going to build a little template that I can clamp on it to try to keep it symetrical. It was obviously made on a CNC mill and my big fear is to destroy the symetry. If I'm not happy with it I can always use the pyramid.

Unless I change my mind again

and thank you everyone for your kind comments.

• Members

re: the bridge. I think I will try to cut down the belly bridge a little keeping the same shape and proportions. I'm going to build a little template that I can clamp on it to try to keep it symetrical. It was obviously made on a CNC mill and my big fear is to destroy the symetry. If I'm not happy with it I can always use the pyramid.

From what I see of your work, I'm positive the cut-down will go well and the bridge will perfect for that sweet git. :thu:

• Members

Another vote for the belly bridge if you can get it trimmed down okay. The pyramid is a little too plain for the blinginess of the binding. However, the pyramid looks to be in better proportion.

-A

P.S. I assume that the answer to this would be coming in a later installment, but I'm curious how you work out exactly where to place the bridge. Do you just use some sort of template that says where it goes, fine-tune it from there, or just eyeball it?

• Members

I've been following this build for a while and I'm very impressed!

Myself? I wouldnt even consider that belly bridge on a traditional little guitar like that! To me it just screams out for the traditional pyramid bridge. Just last night, my significant other and I were watching the "Bob Dylan at Newport" special and he was playing Joan's beautiful little '45' Martin.

Ya just gotta go pyramid! Loll!!

Mymindsok

• Members

It's your baby Freeman, but I'm kind of skeptical about that. Of course, I'm being biased here because I already put my 2

• Members

I vote for pyramid bridge too. It's smaller and will free up more of the top to vibrate...and with a small guitar like that, spruce real estate is scarce.

I'm dying to see how you get the finish off where you glue the bridge on. I always hate that part.

• Members

I'm thinking that if you like the IDEA of a belly bridge, but want it smaller, you might try getting one of those Dremel tools with the abrasive drum and sort of work it down all around a little smaller. Then clean it up with hand sanding. Maybe also use a flat file to keep things straight and square. The string spacing wouldn't be effected. I still think the pyramid one is nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

How do you do the inlays? Was that a pre-ordered butterfly or did you cut it yourself?

That was episode #11

Lets Build a Little Guitar #11

All of my other inlays (the K and FK initials in my avatar, the scrolly stuff on the mando) were stock items from Andy DePaule (link in the other post). The initials are cheap - something like 5 bucks each, so I order a few from Andy and choose a color that looks good on the headstock wood.

The dragonfly was a little different - Andy had butterflys and roses and naked ladies and all kinds of other precut pearl, but he didn't have a dragonfly. I just googled "dragon fly" and found a dozen nice pictures on the net - choose a drawning of one and printed it out. Took that to a copy machine and reduced it to a size that seem to fit the headstock, then e-mailed that and the picture of Tina's tat to Andy. Within a day he had a design worked up and a one off price (basically cost me $60 for that pearl). He sends the design to his cutters in Viet Nam (were is Marcellis?) and in 5 weeks the package arrived. Interestingly, I "own" that design as far as Andy is concerned - it won't appear in his catalog without my permission.

A production shop would use a pantograph engraver to route the channels in the wood (like is used to engrave trophies or plastic name tags). I just trace the pearl with a razor knife, then excavate the channels by hand with a router base on a Dremel tool. You get as close as you can, but it will never be perfect, so the trick is that when you glue the pearl in you mix powered wood (rosewood in this case, ebony for the fretboard) into the epoxy. That fills the little gaps with exactly the same color as the headstock - you can see it if you look very closely. Scrape and sand the pearl and epoxy smooth and bingo - dragonfly inlay.

Some inlay artists (Wendy Larrivee) then scribe into the pearl fine little detail lines - theoretically I could have put veins in the wings of the dragonfly (yeah, sure). These are filled with ink to make them stand out - Wendy's work, the "Cindy" inlays on expensive Taylors, etc all have this detail. I'm just happy to put the basic pearl into the wood.

I practice a lot on scraps of wood, but it really isn't all that hard and it adds a lot to the final product. I can't view the pictures in the on my work PC but I think it shows the traditional vine inlay that I did on the mando

http://www.kitguitarsforum.com/forum/threads.php?id=763_0_9_0_C

• Members

That was episode #11

All of my other inlays (the K and FK initials in my avatar, the scrolly stuff on the mando) were stock items from Andy DePaule (link in the other post). The initials are cheap - something like 5 bucks each, so I order a few from Andy and choose a color that looks good on the headstock wood.

The dragonfly was a little different - Andy had butterflys and roses and naked ladies and all kinds of other precut pearl, but he didn't have a dragonfly. I just googled "dragon fly" and found a dozen nice pictures on the net - choose a drawning of one and printed it out. Took that to a copy machine and reduced it to a size that seem to fit the headstock, then e-mailed that and the picture of Tina's tat to Andy. Within a day he had a design worked up and a one off price (basically cost me $60 for that pearl). He sends the design to his cutters in Viet Nam (were is Marcellis?) and in 5 weeks the package arrived. Interestingly, I "own" that design as far as Andy is concerned - it won't appear in his catalog without my permission.

A production shop would use a pantograph engraver to route the channels in the wood (like is used to engrave trophies or plastic name tags). I just trace the pearl with a razor knife, then excavate the channels by hand with a router base on a Dremel tool. You get as close as you can, but it will never be perfect, so the trick is that when you glue the pearl in you mix powered wood (rosewood in this case, ebony for the fretboard) into the epoxy. That fills the little gaps with exactly the same color as the headstock - you can see it if you look very closely. Scrape and sand the pearl and epoxy smooth and bingo - dragonfly inlay.

Some inlay artists (Wendy Larrivee) then scribe into the pearl fine little detail lines - theoretically I could have put veins in the wings of the dragonfly (yeah, sure). These are filled with ink to make them stand out - Wendy's work, the "Cindy" inlays on expensive Taylors, etc all have this detail. I'm just happy to put the basic pearl into the wood.

I practice a lot on scraps of wood, but it really isn't all that hard and it adds a lot to the final product. I can't view the pictures in the on my work PC but I think it shows the traditional vine inlay that I did on the mando

Somehow when going through the Lets build I totally skipped that one. Thanks again!

• Members

Freeman:

You mentioned that you chose to forego the option of inking in the little fine details on the inlay, but how hard would that to do after everything else's all said and done? Would you have to sand off the finish on the headstock or something?

Archived