Replacing the rubber on guitar stands?

Glenn F

• Members

Hi there,

The rubber on my guitar stands is getting pretty ragged, and I was wondering what people use to replace it with? Also, I am pretty sure that my Taylor has been marked by the rubber, so what is the best material that doesn't mark the wood?

Cheers, and thanks!

Glenn

• Members

I cut soft cloth, such as microfiber, terrycloth or velveteen - whatever I have handy - into strips, then wind it around and around until all the rubber is covered. A small velcro cable tie keeps the ends in place until I'm ready to change the dirty cloth for clean.

• Members

Whatever you do, do not use the surgical rubber that might have been on it (the light tan stuff). That will react with nitro cellulose lacquer (probably not the poly on your Taylor but why risk it). If you have the tan rubber cover it with something - I have a little rag on mine that I use to wipe the git off when I'm done.

Btw - the only guitars that stay on stands are my two resonators - they are pretty imune to humidity problems. Everything else stays in its case.

• Members

Whoops!

Kinda forgot about this thread, as life has been a little awful the last couple of days.

Thanks for your replies, ladies and gents!

If anyone could, as Outdoorgb has done, post a pic or two of their modifications, I'd appreciate it.

I tend to keep my guitars in their cases as well, but I usually have one or two out, which tends to get me to play more than if they were all put away.

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

I went to Lowes plumbing dept and got some clear plastic tubing 3/8" OD and 1/4" inside diameter. It's only about 20 cents per foot. Just keep the razor knife away from your fingers when cutting to length.

guitarstandboots.jpg

Archived