OT: Give away your money and be happy!

Stackabones

• Members

I heard this on public public radio yesterday as I was driving to a class I'm taking on finances. I was actually leading the group discusion last night and I mentioned it.

My first guitar was given to me by my sister to learn on. It's a classical Yamaha. I wouldn't part with it, unless she asks for it back.

Scott O

• Members

My first guitar was an Epiphone dred I bought new in 1971 for $150. Nothing special, but it covered a lot of miles with me, many strapped to the side of my motorcycle. A few years ago a new friend of mine had his old git kind of self destruct. He is a single parent and pretty broke. I loaned him my old Epi, but he wouldn't even change the strings without calling me asking if it was OK. A year later, for his birthday, I wrote him out a mock bill of sale for a dollar so he would finally relax with it. The only string I attached was that he should pass it on in a similar fashion. Never got the buck, but it was the best feeling I have had in a long time, and it was just sitting in the closet before that.

• Members

link

If it means your happiness, I'd be willing to help you out!
:)

I've heard about a tradition among guitarists (maybe Southern ones?) giving their guitar to someone after they've heard them play. I think Johnny Cash did this for someone ... or someone gave a guitar to him?

Anyone ever been given a guitar or given one (or any piece of equipment)? My first guitar was given to me by my dad!

Several years ago, my apartment was robbed and my only guitar (an electric) was stolen. I played percussion in another band and everyone at that gig passed the hat to help me buy a new guitar!

I've been involved with raising money and volunteering labor to help out people in need many times over the years. It feels good to help others no matter how little you can do, because every bit counts. I used to be the co chair of our community service committee in my union. I gave my position up when I moved up in the ranks but I still help plan and run two or three community service projects a year. I enjoy it.

The first time I got involved with pitching in on musical instruments and gear for folks that needed a little help was on this forum. I was asked by JT and Knockwood to help out with the first IKFC caper. It was a great feeling and it made me want to do it for as many people as possible.

Unfortunately, I ran into some financial difficulties of my own and was forced to sell off all of my guitars but one Yamaha solid top / laminate guitar. The fine folks here went behind my back and bought me a new Larrivee OM-03R that I can't stop talking about. ;)

That was the first time I was on the receiving end of anything like that. Man, it was a humbling experience. Part of me felt bad for sharing my financial difficulties with the forum because I know there are others in greater need than myself. Another part of me was touched by the generosity and giving spirit of the group here. As Wayne from Wayne's World used to say: "I'm not worthy!".

I plan to keep that guitar the rest of my life. I also plan to play the heck out of it. It will probably look like Willie Nelson's guitar when I'm an old man (God willing, I will live to be an old man :thu:).

• Members

My first guitar was given to me by my mom's boyfriend. Big Bill would always bring his guitar over when he visited Mom and I couldn't get enough of his playing and singing.

At bedtime, if my sister and I went to bed without making a fuss, once we were tucked in, Big Bill would come up and sing us a good-night song.

One day Big Bill came over and gave me a little 1/2 size git. It only had four strings on it (the trebles). He showed me a D, A7, and a single-string G. Then he showed me how to read a chord chart and handed me the music to Blowin' in the Wind. He said when I'd learned that song, I'd receive the two bass strings for the git and learn how to make a whole G chord.

The following week, I proudly played and sang Blowin' in the Wind for Mom and Big Bill. Yup - got those two basses and there was no stopping the little kid who fell in love with git.

I'll never know what became of Big Bill or the tiny black git be gave me, but over the years I've wished he could see what he started. My life would be terribly empty without music and guitar.

Nowadays, I enjoy nothing more than encouraging a young player or showing them a thing or two that might help them along. And yes, when they give the Martin a longing look, I do let them play it. Their smiles cancel out any trepidation I feel over letting someone else play my best git.

• Members

My first guitar was given to me by my mom's boyfriend. Big Bill would always bring his guitar over when he visited Mom and I couldn't get enough of his playing and singing.

At bedtime, if my sister and I went to bed without making a fuss, once we were tucked in, Big Bill would come up and sing us a good-night song.

One day Big Bill came over and gave me a little 1/2 size git. It only had four strings on it (the trebles). He showed me a D, A7, and a single-string G. Then he showed me how to read a chord chart and handed me the music to Blowin' in the Wind. He said when I'd learned that song, I'd receive the two bass strings for the git and learn how to make a whole G chord.

The following week, I proudly played and sang Blowin' in the Wind for Mom and Big Bill. Yup - got those two basses and there was no stopping the little kid who fell in love with git.

I'll never know what became of Big Bill or the tiny black git be gave me, but over the years I've wished he could see what he started. My life would be terribly empty without music and guitar.

Nowadays, I enjoy nothing more than encouraging a young player or showing them a thing or two that might help them along. And yes, when they give the Martin a longing look, I do let them play it. Their smiles cancel out any trepidation I feel over letting someone else play my best git.

Great story! I doubt Big Bill realized you would always remember him. :thu:

• Members

Well, I gave my Yamaha C45MA away to a relative who needed it but couldn't locate an equivalent instrument within a set budget.

I tend to agree with a Brazilian luthier who lamented that there are a lot of underused, if not unused, guitars in this world that should be passed on or at least sold to someone who can put it to good use.

• Members

I tend to agree with a Brazilian luthier who lamented that there are a lot of underused, if not
unused
, guitars in this world that should be passed on or at least sold to someone who can put it to good use.

That applies to many things: all musical instruments, tools, clothes, cameras, video cameras, TV's, toys, etc, etc.

Most of us are lucky enough to own a lot of stuff we don't have time to put to full use. That's why it's great to donate things you don't use or rarely use to someone that can use them.

• Members

That applies to many things: all musical instruments, tools, clothes, cameras, video cameras, TV's, toys, etc, etc.

Yeah. Wouldn't it be great if we really thought twice and did regular household purges? We try to do a purge four times a year. We seem to be getting a lot better at minimizing the input too. :lol:

I was partly happy to give my C45MA away because it made room (figuratively) for me to acquire my CG171SF. I wanted to have just one classical and one flamenca (the C45MA was being used as a faux flamenca) in my instrument-training arsenal.

• Members

Yeah. Wouldn't it be great if we really thought twice and did regular household purges? We try to do a purge four times a year. We seem to be getting a lot better at minimizing the input too.
:lol:

I was partly happy to give my C45MA away because it made room (figuratively) for me to acquire my CG171SF. I wanted to have just one classical and one
flamenca
(the C45MA was being used as a
faux flamenca
) in my instrument-training arsenal.

Space has become a big issue in our house. We live in a 3 bedroom, 1,100 sq foot, single story home. We are fortunate to have a full basement, but it is divided up into a laundry room, storage / furnace room and a big family room / play room.

I never leave my guitars in the basement out of fear of a flood. I have a "guitar corner" in our bedroom. I can fit a maximum of 3 guitar cases or gig bags in the corner. I'm currently at my limit. :) I own an OM-03R, a Washburn C80S Classical and an Alvarez RF20SM. I leave one hanging on the wall at all times and the other two stored in their case or gig bag.

• Members

I'm giving away my Maple Dragon to a Vietnamese lady. She's hot. But that's not why I'm doing it. She's an accomplished guitarist and a superb singer. She's played in front of 20,000 people before at a Singapore concert. She's performed in several countries including the U.S.

She's a real pro. But she's not rich by any stretch.

She came over one day last month and played my Guild F-65ce and the Maple dragon. I had the dragon strung for Nashville tuning at the time.

After playing both, she told me she liked the Maple dragon better than the Guild. I asked if it was because of the high strings. She said, "No." She just liked the way it felt and sounded. She wanted me to take her to my luthier.

It's been the best recording guitar I've ever owned. It sounds magnificent on this one in particular. "Let's Park the Car for Awhile"

With my archtop and the Guild, I need a nice classical more than I need a great-sounding Maple dread. And I can't afford to ship all these guitars home. The Guild sort of steals its thunder for recording. It's not as big-sounding as the dragon. But like the dragon, it always seems to sound right when you turn on the mic and arm the recording track.

So it's hers. It's the one on the right.

workspace_reduced.JPG

• Members

Great story! I doubt Big Bill realized you would always remember him.
:thu:

No doubt you're right, Hud.

Ya know, back in my gigging days, I often wished he'd be somewhere in the audience and would recognize me and come backstage to say hi. I had a big hug saved up for him.

• Members

I gave my 62 (or so) LP Jr to a (shortly thereafter ex-) girlfriend around 1976 or 77 because she made so much noise about wanting to learn to play. Big mistake! I later found out she'd sold it for very little $$ not long after. :mad:

• Members

I gave my 62 (or so) LP Jr to a (shortly thereafter ex-) girlfriend around 1976 or 77 because she made so much noise about wanting to learn to play. Big mistake! I later found out she'd sold it for very little $$ not long after.
:mad:

That totally sucks. She was definitely not a keeper.

• Members

My first guitar was given to me by my older brother...a $50 Kay in 1963. I have no idea what happened to it.

I gave my oldest a '69 SYairi classical March of 07.

To be honest with you, I think I was more excited about getting than giving. But then again I was only 12.

I bought a guitar for my sister 35 years ago. She doesn't play so she gave it back to me....My Lammy...sweet

• Members

Here in Louisiana, there's a fantastic guitar festival in Shreveport every year.

It's the James Burton International Guitar Festival and the whole point of the festival is to raise money to help young guitar players. Here's a "paste" from their website. Link follows the paste if you'd like to read more about this great festival.

"The James Burton International Guitar Festival was created to help raise funds for the James Burton Foundation. The Foundation is dedicated to raising money to provide technical training, music lessons and free guitars to young musicians.

James was fortunate that his parents sacrificed to purchase his first Fender guitar. Through his humble beginnings, James learned that a quality instrument is very important. It's been James' dream to give back to the community by helping young musicians realize their potential. Your participation in the James Burton International Guitar Festival and donation to the James Burton Foundation enables future generations of musicians to keep the music alive!"

Here's the festival website:

http://www.jamesburtonmusic.com/index.html

• Members

I gave my bestest friend a Breedlove bass guitar once. Eventually he gave me a Peavey Classic and a couple hundred bucks. :)

It's ridiculous how good people have been to me over the years. I'm not even gonna start.

But a client gave me a Wurlitzer 200a that'd been gathering dust in his basement. This was way before they became "vintage" keyboards. It's in my basement now, but it doesn't get very dusty.

• Members

The act of (free will) giving has always been intrinsically rewarding. The gift is inconsequential. If I know I helped someone when they needed help, then I've done something I wanted to do. The trick is to remain anonymous. But, vanity must be dispensed with when expediency calls. I was raised by a man who taught me that when a person has to ask for help it's too late to volunteer. I don't live by that so much as it has made me a better observer.

Archived