OT: Give away your money and be happy!

Stackabones

• Members

I've got 4 guitars on the chopping block right now, but if I find the right person, I'll probably give one or two of them away.

AFAIK, true altruism doesn't exist, but that is basically irrelevant.

Cheers,

Glenn

Spongebob?

• Members

I'm embarrassed to say it, but I've been gifted with guitars several times:

Firstly, there's a plywood Kay which was the first guitar I ever played. It used to belong to my mother but she quit taking lessons. She gave it to me after discovering me fiddling with it one day when I was about 8 years old and forced me to take lessons - not once, but THREE times.

(BTW - thanks for the gift, Mom! Esteban's got nothing on you! ;) )

My Tak was a gift from my aunt's BIL who doesn't play guitar but received it as payment of debt from a boarder who lived under his roof for a time. The guitar spent some time in his hot south Florida attic and went on to college with me but I think 5 years in my closet with the same strings is what eventually led to it needing an overhaul. It's still in rough shape but at 34+ years old I figure the thing's got mojo by now.

My Strat was an engagement gift from my wife. I use it to make a joyful noise in church - with the help of a 40W Hot Rod Deluxe tube amp and a Bad Monkey overdrive pedal. So far I haven't been excommunicated, though every now and then I can't fight the urge to play "Don't Fear the Reaper" during rehearsal! :freak:

...and of course there's my believed Larrivee OM-03R that I received almost two years ago thanks to the generosity (and deviousness) of a bunch of folks here and on a couple other forums who banded together and to my chagrin used my initial in the name of their little conspiracy. I'm forever grateful to JT, Hud, Jason at Notable Guitars and the 20-some other folks who all chipped in.

That's just the ones I still own. I also received an Epiphone Strat-clone in 1987 as a HS graduation present from my mother. Sadly, it was stolen - along with a Tom Scholz Rockman - while I was in the Navy. To add insult to injury, I went on to blow an excessive amount of money on a laminated Kramer to replace it - which is the only guitar I personally bought, proving that I am indeed a sucker and a quasi-musical burden to society. The guitar hangs on the wall in my son's room as a battered testament to my perpetual naivete.

BTW - I also can't claim ownership of my musical abilities. That goes to the Man Upstairs. I'm just easily impressionable and consider the search for inspiration as my greatest vice.

• Members

Last year there was a thread on either the Guitar Jam or Electric Guitars section of the HC forum. An incredibly cool guy named jjpistols asked "Who doesn't own a guitar?"

I responded that I only had one acoustic guitar and hadn't had an electric in a couple of years.

So with the help of some other forumites pitching in for shipping expenses, he sent me an Ibanez electric with a replacement neck. Another person sent me a small Marshall amp and someone else sent me a little headphone amp.

Very cool.

However, while it was great to play electric again, it helped me decide that acoustics were really where my interests were. I was working on my masters degree at the time and one day while doing some research at the library I overheard a kid talking about how his dorm room had been burglarized and he lost a guitar and practice amp he had gotten from his parents before he went off to school. He sounded devastated, and, like many college students, broke. He was trying to figure out how he was going to save enough $$$ from his job and his second workstudy job to get a replacement guitar and amp while still paying his bills, buying textbooks, etc.

So, I passed the electric guitar and amp off to him. He didn't know me; I just introduced myself and told him I'd bring it to his dorm room. He was blown away.

In some ways, I think I got the better end of the deal because not only was I the recipient of the goodwill of the forumites who originally helped me out, but I also felt very happy at being able to help this kid out. I just told him if he ever decided to part with the guitar and amp or trade up to something better, I hoped he would do what I did and give it away to someone in need.

• Members

That's a great story Muddslide! Since I live alone now surrounded by 10 guitars and an awesome set of Congas, I've been thinking about giving some of mine away. I have a few great ones, so I don't really need all of them. But all the young kids I run into want to shred! HH

Archived