OT: Creepy guy at my fiancee's apartment

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

Not that I advocate violence, but with so many goddamn creep-jobs in the world, if he comes back, beat him within an inch of his life.

yeah - not a good idea. Follow the system, defend yourself if needed. Don't try to be proactive and mete out your own justice. Guaranteed to go to jail - then who is watching your GF?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeah - not a good idea. Follow the system, defend yourself if needed. Don't try to be proactive and mete out your own justice. Guaranteed to go to jail - then who is watching your GF?

Yup, it's never a good idea to attack someone. That's just the Charles Bronson in me.

disregard my previous post.

• Members

I know this is the wrong place for this thread, but I really trusts your guys' opinions the most.

Where else would you post this?

Call the cops, keep an eye on her (as much as you can), be ready for anything, and keep us posted.

• Members

What's already been said -- the cops definitely need to know. Every single incident needs to be reported and on the record.

Do what you can to ID the perpetrator. If you can't get photos, make notes about anything she can remember. Once it's written down, she won't "draw a blank" when speaking to law enforcement personnel.

She should not open the door even a crack, even with a so-called security chain or bar on the door. Once that door is unlocked, she is vulnerable. One good kick is all it takes for the perpetrator to get inside. Instead, holler, "who's there?" or some such thing. Unless she can positively identify the voice of whoever responds, she should not open it.

Ditto to her not being alone under any circumstances. This often signals to the perpetrator that other people are aware of his actions and can sometimes cause him to search for easier prey.

Unless she has had a lot of firearms training, a gun is not the answer, nor is a knife. A small handgun is only accurate at close range. Same goes for a knife. Unfortunately, once the perpetrator is that close, the weapon is often used against the victim.

The best weapon is the sort that will keep the perpetrator at a distance and give her time to run. Pepper spray is excellent.

Additionally, a very loud whistle or key-ring alarm. Anything that makes noise and attracts attention can sometimes scare off a predator. Attention is the last thing the perpetrator wants.

A spray bottle, the kind that can squirt a long stream,(as opposed to a mist-like spray) is very effective when filled with a strong ammonia solution. Like pepper spray, ammonia is an excellent deterrent. A good squirt anywhere near the perpetrator's face will cause him to back off. Those fumes are pretty strong and can interfere with his breathing in addition to making his eyes water. Keep several filled bottles in locations around the apartment.

Lastly, remember that nearly anything in her apartment can be used as a weapon. A heavy vase or ashtray, a lamp, a blast of hairspray in the eyes. Hot coffee or a plate of food can be thrown in the face. However, do not go rushing for the kitchen for a butcher knife. Just to whatever it takes to create an avenue of escape.

Once outside the door, loud screaming and banging on doors is called for. Anything to get the attention of neighbors.

Being stalked is terrifying. (been there) I hope they catch the bast**d.

• Members

How do I spell deterrence?

A very large dog, preferrably one that likes to raise a rukus when a stranger comes to the door. I have 3 Lab / Chow mixed breed beauties that tend to scare the dickens out of anyone who don't know them.

As far as those dogs are concerned, they own the property here, I am just a renter. :lol: If anything comes onto the property, they know about it. I never had issue one leaving my wife or daughters here alone when I used to travel a lot on business.

And they are a rather intelligent deterrence. They recognize Friends and Family and greet them appropriately. The UPS guy don't like them too well though. :-) Any NGD for me would take place at the END of the driveway.

Studies have demonstrated that protective dogs of the intimidating variety, are a single girl's best friend in similar situations.

• Members

I fogot to mention in my original post I forgot to mention that I told her to get the license plate number if she saw the car again. Good idea about getting his picture if he is unaware. We got a digital camera, so that should work.

I wouldn't get a gun just because she has never held one. One thing I thought of though is she knows her way around a golf club, so she could bring her clubs from parent's house.

What my instinct is to do if I see him is to bash his face into the concrete multiple times, but I know that is not the best way to handle it. I'll call the police if he is spotted. However, should it ends up he somehow gets into the apartment, I am not going to hold back.

I rethought the machete. I'd rather go to where he can get a human booster shot from a guy named Molly sooner than go to the hospital.

• Members

Unless she has had a
lot
of firearms training, a gun is not the answer, nor is a knife. A small handgun is only accurate at close range. Same goes for a knife. Unfortunately, once the perpetrator is that close, the weapon is often used against the victim.

The best weapon is the sort that will keep the perpetrator at a distance and give her time to run. Pepper spray is excellent.

Additionally, a very loud whistle or key-ring alarm. Anything that makes noise and attracts attention can sometimes scare off a predator. Attention is the last thing the perpetrator wants.

Best advice so far, imo (speaking as a girl who has some experience with firearms).

I hope this creepy scumbag gets caught and taught a lesson. I had an incident in my coed dorm where a weirdo barged into my room while I was half-naked changing and that was enough to give me a nightmare - I can't even begin to imagine what your fiancee is going through.

• Members

If he comes back just have her open the door, not say anything, and back away. When he enters the apartment you come out and cut his throat. If your state has some form of the castle doctrine you'll probably get off with a pat on the back and some kind of award.

• Members

If he comes back just have her open the door, not say anything, and back away. When he enters the apartment you come out and cut his throat. If your state has some form of the castle doctrine you'll probably get off with a pat on the back and some kind of award.

Ya know, I can't even count how many ways that is piss poor advice.

Your home state just settled a similar case that was very close to what you suggest and the guy who did the defensive killing got 12 years.

Alternatively, you come out to open a can of whoop ass only to find out you just picked a fight with someone you can't whoop. Then your butt is thrashed, your girl is still alone, and the perp is pissed off on top of it. Bad plan.

• Members

The one who needs to call the police is your girlfriend as she has seen this person face to face and also is the one who is making the "trespassing" charge. Also...notify the neighbors to look out for creepy guy's vehicle and take note of his plate number and if possible call the police. It is obvious that this person could be a threat to the safety of the other tenants in the building as well. It's very simple...if this person has no valid reason to be in that building then he is indeed trespassing. It is not public property.

Dude...have your girlfriend call the police...like as soon as you finish reading this.

• Members

Well actually no
. First: No one knows his name or where he lives in order to fill out protection/restraining order of any kind the police will need more info. Granted, by contacting the police his girlfriend sets up a paper trail that she's concerned about her safety from jump. At that, her family and friends will still have to take proactive measures to try as best as they can not to allow the situation to deteriorate. Having had some personal experience with this...........
it started out benign and went down hill, quickly

Well, actually, yes. She can describe the guy and his car. That's enough to get the police started watching her building. It's not necessary for some judge to issue a restraining order. If she sees him again, call them again. Plus the "paper trail" notion. That way, if she does have to defend herself/you have to defend her, there's some basis for it.

• Members

Well, actually, yes. She can describe the guy and his car. That's enough to get the police started watching her building. It's not necessary for some judge to issue a restraining order. If she sees him again, call them again. Plus the "paper trail" notion. That way, if she does have to defend herself/you have to defend her, there's some basis for it.

Unless Joe's girlfriend lives in Mayberry, I seriously doubt the police will assign a car to watch her building. I'm not saying they want take her complaint seriously but the police have tons of other problems/issues, it's a process. In my case the legal process didn't get going until we had a name that went along with a face. When we knew who he was the police stopped him and spoke to him. I wish the "talking to" by the police would've been enough, it wasn't. A Restraining/Anti-Harassment Order had to be filed for the police to have the power to arrest him on spot.

I'm hoping for Joe the excellent suggestion given are enough and all ends well. It's kinda surreal when you find yourself in that situation and if this ever happened again, me and my family/friends would be more proactive. Didn't know this guy from Adam, all I did was tell a complete stranger he was about to lose his wallet from his back pants pocket.

• Members

Unless Joe's girlfriend lives in
Mayberry
, I seriously doubt the police will assign a car to watch her building. I'm not saying they want take her complaint seriously but the police have tons of other problems/issues, it's a process. I'm my case the legal process didn't get going until we had a name that went along with a face. When we knew who he was the police stopped him and spoke to him. I wish the "talking to" by the police would've been enough, it wasn't. A Restraining/Anti-Harassment Order had to be filed for the police to have the power to arrest him on spot.

I'm hoping for Joe the excellent suggestion given are enough and all ends well. It's kinda surreal when you find yourself in that situation and if this ever happened again, me and my family/friends would be
more
proactive.
Didn't know this guy from Adam, all I did was tell a complete stranger he was about to lose his wallet from his back pants pocket

This is correct. That is why she needs to notify the police anyway...to create a case file. Of course the police are not going to watch her apt 24/7 but like T.B. says they will take it seriously. The police do have to be careful too and must have reasonable cause to question someone. If you can I.D. his vehicle and plate number and give a description to the police that will be enough for them to act if they do happen to see the stalker at another location doing the same thing to another victim. It is not easy dealing with this but like many others I do not advocate vigilante justice...let the cops do their job but they also need your girlfriend's help and co-operation as well.

My stepdaughter went through this..I am not unfamiliar with dealing with the police in this matter. Just don't let her be alone...until this matter is settled legally.

• Members

I would say call the police first too!

Of course, she can defend herself if needed but be careful with that. It's better if the police takes care of this. Don't do yourself justice because you might get in trouble.

edit: I live in Canada where the laws are different from the USA though.

• Members

Just plain wrong. Cut his throat? Too many action movies for you.

Joes dog Idea is great, but apts usually dont allow dogs and dogs are not good pets to be left alone all day in an apt. They need people around and suffer greatly when left alone for long periods of time.

Forget anything John Wayneish - Follow the rules. If the rules allow you to have a gun for self defense, you should make use of what is available to you. It is an urban legend that guns are wrested away from victims and used against them. The incidence of this happening is minuscule compared to the number of times that a weapon prevented victimization.

A gun that is used by a homeowner is never wrested away. If you are not familiar with guns, reputable gun stores will train you and allow you to practice on a range. This is a right guaranteed by the constitution.

I like the bear spray idea too, but it is not a positive as a gun.

This is about not being a victim, not about being some Hollywood style bad-ass. Protect yourself and your family. Police files are full of deaths that ocurred between the 911 call and police arriving.

• Members

Put the machete away.....keep the bat and mace. Hurting him could get you in much legal allegations you have no idea, America is the land of sue anybody for anything, Lots of people get screwed that way.

Get a lock if he comes call the police. Maybe get a camera installed the door to see if he comes in when shes not there, that happened to a friend of mine, he somehow got her key.

• Members

I'm going to buy her some pepper spray to have by the door, and the next time I'm at my parents house I'm going to get my old baseball bat and my carbon steel machete (just in case there is another creep that ever comes to her apartment that happens to be bigger than me).

What do you guys make of all this? Any advice or comments?

Forget the pepper spray; get this- it's on sale, and much more appropriate for a predatory lunatic: http://www.rei.com/product/623173

• Members

Joes dog Idea is great, but apts usually dont allow dogs and dogs are not good pets to be left alone all day in an apt. They need people around and suffer greatly when left alone for long periods of time.

Yup, quite true. I've lived out here the sticks so long I tend to forget that half the world lives in the cities. When I take off, my dogs have the run of some 12 acres to rule and own.

That won't work so well in apartments.

Archived